Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By K. Rah Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:38 am
Hello, is there a way to set the recording of a drum/key group clip to constantly overwrite itself until stop is pressed or another clip is selected while recording in the matrix mode? The arranger has “midi record erase” but it doesn’t seem to do what I’m trying to do.. basically I want to record midi notes to short 1-bar clips and stop recording when I play the part right, similar to retro-record but without going back and singling out the correct bars. Thanks :P
By HouseWithoutMouse Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:02 pm
I don't think that's possible. Rec Erase only works for the arrangement, and for clips you can slowly sweep-erase a pad's notes by holding down DELETE and a pad, and then wait for the playhead to eventually erase the notes. To clear a whole pad you have to finish recording it and then DELETE + pad, and then re-record.

To do what you want, get an Arturia KeyStep 37 or something. Its sequencer continuously replaces old notes with new ones as you play, so it's easy to make evolving lines.
By K. Rah Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:45 am
Thanks guys. I’ll check that looper, never used it, thought it was only for audio. I actually own a keystep 37 but that method still didn’t really cut it for me.. for now I’m just riding the undo button, works alright, I just hit stop when I’m happy with my performance and pick it up again.
By B-Wise Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:46 am
K. Rah wrote:Thanks guys. I’ll check that looper, never used it, thought it was only for audio. I actually own a keystep 37 but that method still didn’t really cut it for me.. for now I’m just riding the undo button, works alright, I just hit stop when I’m happy with my performance and pick it up again.

Yeah the Looper is for audio but, if your doing just short loops I figured you could just replay the parts you like in the sequencer. I would just jam into a long clip or Arranger, but I get not wanting to edit thru all that later.

I normally just jam with a drum track until I come up with a cool riff & then make different variations, come up with more unique riff & make variations. Then do the same on other track with different instruments/sounds. I also like to have a long sequence at least 48 bars for a improvisation when I'm really in the groove & if I make some cool short riffs I'll isolate them on their own clip & make variations. The Force has 999 clips per track & each can as little as 24 ticks to 12,600 bars!

Keep us posted on the method you use. Peace & may the Force be with you!
By Koekepan Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:53 pm
You can also change the recording mode from Overdub. Have you tried that?
By K. Rah Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:01 am
I’m not seeing what the difference is between “play” and “overdub” modes in the clip record settings, after finally getting around to checking it out. The behavior seems to be the same, neither mode overwrites as it goes. Getting used to the undo button for this, it’s a shame though that I can’t midi learn anything to that button.
By B-Wise Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:27 am
K. Rah wrote:I’m not seeing what the difference is between “play” and “overdub” modes in the clip record settings, after finally getting around to checking it out. The behavior seems to be the same, neither mode overwrites as it goes. Getting used to the undo button for this, it’s a shame though that I can’t midi learn anything to that button.

:hmmm:
I don't know what's the difference. I'm trying to learn how to make it stop recording once the clip loop back to the beginning without overdubbing on top over the previously recorded notes. I normally just go into the List Editor & delete any duplicates.

This could be user error, a design flaw or a bug... anyone know?
By kazakore Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:50 pm
Overdub means any additional recording is added to the existing recording. In the manual (pg127) it only mentioned the options of the clip going into Overdub or Play once a Recording pass is complete. This means it wont let you replace existing recording on looping until you are happy. Afraid bashing the Undo button is going to be your only way.
By kazakore Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:53 pm
B-Wise wrote:
K. Rah wrote:I’m not seeing what the difference is between “play” and “overdub” modes in the clip record settings, after finally getting around to checking it out. The behavior seems to be the same, neither mode overwrites as it goes. Getting used to the undo button for this, it’s a shame though that I can’t midi learn anything to that button.

:hmmm:
I don't know what's the difference. I'm trying to learn how to make it stop recording once the clip loop back to the beginning without overdubbing on top over the previously recorded notes. I normally just go into the List Editor & delete any duplicates.

This could be user error, a design flaw or a bug... anyone know?

Clip Record To = Play should do that according to pg127 of the manual.
By stonecoldgroove Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:22 am
I do this all the time, the play / compose / jam over a section until I have a few variations I like or until I get the part I want.

Let’s say I end up with 96 bars, but only want 1 of the 26 times I played it ( 4 bars ).

1st thing to do is just to record and forget that it’s recording, which is how I ended up with 96 bars in the 1st place.

2nd, I go into the clip menu and change playback length to 4 bars, and then move the loop start parameter until I get the performance that I want.

After that; Shift, Trim to loop

Yours should be even easier to do since you only want 1 bar.

SCG
By HouseWithoutMouse Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:30 pm
Do you mean that the "take" you want might be not the last one but one of the 23 somewhere in the middle? :) How do you locate the right one?

Myself, I usually stop recording of the clip, delete it and re-record, if I don't like the take. Which can be done immediately without recording to the end, if I mess up early in the take. Or sometimes if there's only a couple of mistakes, I may try to fix them in the grid editor. For bass lines, I usually want to fix a few note lengths anyway, to get the groove just right.
By B-Wise Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:14 pm
stonecoldgroove wrote:I do this all the time, the play / compose / jam over a section until I have a few variations I like or until I get the part I want.

Let’s say I end up with 96 bars, but only want 1 of the 26 times I played it ( 4 bars ).

1st thing to do is just to record and forget that it’s recording, which is how I ended up with 96 bars in the 1st place.

2nd, I go into the clip menu and change playback length to 4 bars, and then move the loop start parameter until I get the performance that I want.

For each track I jam for a while without recording until I find a riff worth recording & repeat that for as many clips as I can.

I may not use all them when I make a composition. Some track are just copies of another to be used as a sonic layer so they're meant to be play together but not always.

Sometimes you may want to take advantage of the 128 tracks & make a orchestra & have a string section, brass section, synth section...etc, all with 4 or whatever tracks

"Let’s say I end up with 96 bars, but only want 1 of the 26 times I played it ( 4 bars )."
Shouldn't it be 24?
By stonecoldgroove Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:58 am
I mean sure… 96. Creation is not a time I concern myself with math. My brain does that on its own most of the time.

“I usually locate the right one by listening back. I started doing this a while back, and I noticed that my music improved when I listened to what I was doing, and I just kept doing it…”

When I’m making music I’m trying to use my ears, mostly - so when I’m often just playing and listening to what I played (as I’m playing) and try to remember if I “got it”.
Then I’ll stop, set the locators and move on.

It can make for happy accidents later, and sometimes completely new tunes when listening back to something I previously thought was a mistake.
By B-Wise Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:30 pm
stonecoldgroove wrote:I mean sure… 96. Creation is not a time I concern myself with math. My brain does that on its own most of the time.

“I usually locate the right one by listening back. I started doing this a while back, and I noticed that my music improved when I listened to what I was doing, and I just kept doing it…”

When I’m making music I’m trying to use my ears, mostly - so when I’m often just playing and listening to what I played (as I’m playing) and try to remember if I “got it”.
Then I’ll stop, set the locators and move on.

It can make for happy accidents later, and sometimes completely new tunes when listening back to something I previously thought was a mistake.

Whatever work to get you to make better music is the way to go & Akai give us many paths to take on the Force. The fact a clip can be as small as 24 ticks or can go up to 12,600 bars is insane!