Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By PGRM Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:24 pm
Hi. Could anyone give me some pointers please on how to set up midi in on the Force (from a Keystep in the instance) so that each midi in channel controls a different plug in track. I can only get global to work. I dont want to have to manually select tracks on the Force, I just want to change channels on the Keystep. I have not found it in the manual. Track midi channels have been changed to 1,2,3,4 etc.
Thanks.
By PGRM Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:08 am
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:Set the tracks monitoring to IN or MERGE, or if you want to have monitoring on auto, record-enable all the tracks you want to play from the keystep.

Cheers, will give thet a go later today. I have seen that but not yet changed any settings.
By PGRM Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:49 pm
I got it working fine - thanks for the info.

However I have had a very frustrating afternoon with it. I have 5 tracks set up on their own midi channels, then randomly it stops responding on some of them, while athers are OK. Not consistant which channels either. I then have to reload either the patch if I am lucky, or the intrument if not. Happening with Hype, Mellotron and Tube Synth.

This is for a live set in a couple of weeks, if I can't find out what is going on and fix it...

Just to add, Note mode doesn't play them either, but the notes played in do reflect on the Force pads. I have also tried Global mode and no difference.
By HouseWithoutMouse Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:49 pm
It could be the multichannel note-off bug. Note-offs coming in from all channels are sent to all tracks, regardless of what channels the tracks are monitoring. Note-ons go to the right tracks, but note-offs don't. Maybe this "feature" could make it seem like one of your channels stops working randomly. MPCs have had the same thing for years.
By PGRM Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:17 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:It could be the multichannel note-off bug. Note-offs coming in from all channels are sent to all tracks, regardless of what channels the tracks are monitoring. Note-ons go to the right tracks, but note-offs don't. Maybe this "feature" could make it seem like one of your channels stops working randomly. MPCs have had the same thing for years.

I can set it up so it is working, save, close and open the project and the issue is there. Only one midi channel will be played at a time. So frustrating.

I've only had the Force a few weeks and really like it, already done one small gig with it using audio only, but I wanted it for the soft synths and arranger as an alternative to my Elektron/other gear.
By HouseWithoutMouse Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:41 pm
What if you set monitoring of the tracks to "in", and not auto?

There are some things you have to manually set every time after loading a project. Envelope followers have to be switched off and back on, to make them work. And keygroup programs lose their modwheel pitch modulation setting every time, so if you want to do modwheel vibrato, go and fix it every time you load back the project.

When you find a broken feature, move on and don't try to use it. They probably won't get fixed, and there's nothing you can do.
By PGRM Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:02 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:What if you set monitoring of the tracks to "in", and not auto?

There are some things you have to manually set every time after loading a project. Envelope followers have to be switched off and back on, to make them work. And keygroup programs lose their modwheel pitch modulation setting every time, so if you want to do modwheel vibrato, go and fix it every time you load back the project.

When you find a broken feature, move on and don't try to use it. They probably won't get fixed, and there's nothing you can do.

I have tried In, Auto and Merge, as well as Global, Track and Control. The settings apart from midi channel are the same across the tracks.
By PGRM Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm
I think I have worked out the condition in which track/midi was going strange. I had originally had midi tracks that I converted to plugin tracks (I wanted to keep the midi date as a visual prompt for when sections come in that I play). Now I have set up new plug in tracks and they seems to be holding ok.