Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By B-Wise Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:28 am
Not about the Force but it kinda is. The dude energy is a little over the top, but the info is useful in showing how 4/4 time isn’t as limited as it may seem at first. Peace!

By Lampdog Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:18 am
I’ve been doing drums like that for years.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.
Sometimes I abandon a beat cause I got lost.
Sometimes I’ll stay with it.
By B-Wise Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:39 am
Lampdog wrote:I’ve been doing drums like that for years.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.
Sometimes I abandon a beat cause I got lost.
Sometimes I’ll stay with it.

Yeah it's one of things where you never know. I really just want to showcase that the Force 4/4 limit isn't as limited as it seems. I wasn't even really feeling the beats that he was showing but I they we're good example to make the point. Doing wild musical rhythms sometimes may lose the soul or the dopeness of the track & risks only impressing the elite. Gotta find a balance as with everything.
By Lampdog Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:40 pm
B-Wise wrote:Doing wild musical rhythms sometimes may lose the soul or the dopeness of the track…..

Exactly why I don’t do it too much, I like to be able to consistently nod my head. If nod’s are interrupted too much too often I abandon it.
By Koekepan Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:34 pm
Absolutely.

Nodding your head - that's the music's pulse. If there is genuinely no pulse, you're in very esoteric territory but for most purposes, you want a pulse. Especially if it's for dance.

On the other hand, if you can figure out various sub-pulses and trade them between different percussion instruments, you can end up with alternative meta-pulses that emerge from the result, and then you're in the territory of some of the most complex ancient drumming traditions; South India, and Sub-Saharan Africa.
By B-Wise Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:29 pm
Koekepan wrote:
Nodding your head - that's the music's pulse. If there is genuinely no pulse, you're in very esoteric territory but for most purposes, you want a pulse. Especially if it's for dance.

On the other hand, if you can figure out various sub-pulses and trade them between different percussion instruments, you can end up with alternative meta-pulses that emerge from the result, and then you're in the territory of some of the most complex ancient drumming traditions; South India, and Sub-Saharan Africa.

Absolutely!