Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Scrawny Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:12 am
I'm looking to record sound into my MPC 2000 classic with the distortion of a high gain on my mixer, but at a normal level. Is that possible without resampling like on the 2k XL?
By Scrawny Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:21 pm
peterpiper wrote:Why not using the 2000 gain for distortion?
peace

Because then the sound that I'd have recorded in to the MPC would be painfully loud, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.
By Scrawny Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:21 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Turn the input level down on your mpc and blast it on your mixer would be how I would do it. Not really my thing though.

Thanks. I'm like 90% sure this is going to work, now that someone else had suggested it too.
By peterpiper Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:23 pm
Yes but thats what the mixer page in the 2000 is for. What mixer do you have? Would be interesting to compare both ways. The gain stage on a DJ mixer might not powerful enough.
BTW. A while ago I made this demonstration of how the 2000 gain stage affects the sound.
I raised the recgain each measure so its from zero influence to an practically unuseable distortion. :) IMO the sweet spot is somewhere in the middle where the sound is not that much distorted but there is a limiting of the signal.

By 6/8 Stanley Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:47 pm
To me the distortion that sounds best is from over-driven tubes like the blues guitar players used ever since they had electric guitars. Hendrix probably picked it up from Buddy Guy and took it a step further. Maybe run mixer outs through a tube pre that can be overdriven or a tube emulator app or pedal like tube screamer. I like the way vocals sound through slightly over-driven tubes.

I always wonder how Chuck Berry got his signature "train whistle a mile away" guitar sound. I tried but couldn't get it. Some say guitar turned way down and overdrive amp, didn't sound the same though.