Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By YoungCapone Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:47 pm
(Beginner here)I made a simple melody in the piano roll of FL studio and started shifting it up one semitone at a time (keeping the intervals the same). I notice that there was no real difference in how the melody felt as I shifted it up or down. It made me think about why keys or octaves were important. I’ve heard some things about how historically, there were implications involving the way different instruments were made and what not, but in today's day and age does it really matter if we’re making music digitally?? I feel like what’s most important are relationships between notes (intervals). Thoughts???
By visionset Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:15 pm
18 months late but essentially you are correct, keys don't matter, esp in electronic music. So long as everyone in the band is in the same key!
By Koekepan Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:14 pm
In an equal temperament (basically, standard modern western tuning), keys don't matter except for how they sit in terms of the gamut of human hearing.

Let me explain: we can hear (roughly, individuals differ) from 20Hz to (roughly, individuals differ) 20KHz. That's about ten octaves of sound. Even old folks who've lost a lot of their top end hearing can generally hear nine octaves or a bit more.

However, not all notes are equally usable in terms of harmonic placement. For example, really high tones are easy to harmonise, but lose some distinction to the point that melodic elements get lost. Really low notes can be tough to build into harmonies (especially close harmonies) because of what we call the lower interval limit (you can google it if you're curious, or just try playing a major third around C4, and C1, and listen to the difference). This means that you have a central zone which is prime territory - think of it as the optimal vocal range of a singer who can hit ten octaves. Below that, base helps shape the context of the harmony, and the rhythm, and above it you get harmonic details and sizzling shape to the rhythm.

If you pick a key that sits there, then it doesn't matter much, one way or another.
By SuperKonquer Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:27 pm
Old Thread but the true answer is absolutely. Does the taste of different foods matter? Does different color palettes in paintings matter? Would you listen to a song that was 60 minutes long? Imagine listening to a album where every song almost sounds like the last one. Or listening to the radio all day and every song sounding almost the same. They matter because they are different flavors for the ear. And for a even deeper delve into it.

Sounds are just sonic frequencies and they affect brainwaves. For some people, the key of G makes them feel unpleasant while others may feel relaxed when hearing another particular key, even if the musical piece is energetic or dramatic. Part of the reason is subconscious association with a particular tone or set of tones. Such as a mother singing to her baby which will subconsciously remind the brain of warmth and comfort for the rest of their life. Or being at a Birthday party, hearing a song and dancing with a girl that you have always liked. Or on the flip side riding in a car listening to song while the sun is blaring into your eyes, its 99 degrees out and you are in a car crash.

Even more subtly, being stuck in a situation where you are bored and uncomfortable and either the sounds of nature or mechanical hums will condition you to be uncomfortable whenever you hear those frequencies. So keys really really do matter. Especially when you are making music for the masses. A percentage of people will hate your musical composition simply because of the key it is in. Others will have the opposite reaction.
By SpectacularCommodity1776 Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:34 pm
using different keys is a good way to differentiate two or more songs that otherwise would've sounded too similar. if you're making an album/mixtape/whatever then I'd say keys can be important
By Ill-Green Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:23 am
Of course keys matter. The way I play is different from what you play. And people can identify you and me just by ear even if we in the same genre. Your G flat is probably my D sharp.
By dabmeister Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:09 am
Yes keys do matter. One thing I remember learning in music theory was "the circle of fifths". Twelve chromatic pitches representing each key by order of every "fifth" note (root note being "C").

I only brought that up because understanding key roots or whatever allows the composer to figure out what he/she wants when building off their ideas.

Of course some interesting creativity can be accomplished once you understand what works together.
By DokBrown Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:44 pm
Keys def matter but what is the backbone of your beats ???
I find most beats are driven by samples/loops or drums or keys or xxxx
I’m not good with keys so they don’t drive my beats but I do make nasty analog basslines.
I know enough about “keys” to play a proper synth bassline.

Don’t waste time on musical theory iF keys is not your thing.
If keys are driving your beats [neptunes, etc.], then I suggest you invest a year’s worth of piano/keyboard lessons . . . .
By Ultros Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:23 am
I have no musical theory knoweldge, no formal training on the keys. i just kinda put my hands on and press the buttons. I manage to write some ok piano music for not knowing anything about it in any traditional sense.

I'm not afraid to openly admit, I cant read sheet music. I dont know how to play classical piano but I still manage to come up with some original crap that can make ppls heads bob a bit.

https://filebin.net/ysfmrp8902ikbisi/Ul ... Winter.mp3