Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By Virginiabeachboy Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:51 pm
Wassup fellas (and ladies if present). I wanna take time out and think you for your help with my midi connection problem. I got that all squared away. Now i need a little insight into how save a midi file.  Your probably wondering why i don't check the manual but it has come up missing some how.  Let's say i play an eight track sequence into my mpc from my roland.  I know i can't just save the sounds on the MPC so how do you all go about it.  Here's and example: I greated this hot ass track for my man down the street. I thought i had saved the midi information into my mpc which i did...but when i turned my synth back on i had trouble locating the sounds.  Yeah i know...bonehead. So how do you all keep up with the sounds. Is it as simple as keeping a notepad to the side or saving the sounds in they synth.  Or do you typically go straight from sequencing into the MPC to dumping the MPC into a DAW?  Once again i appreciate your insight.
Virginiabeachboy ............Wonder![/color]

By mpcgirl Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:53 am
Hi,

You can use the program change number parameter on the main sequencer window to record the patch change for each midi track.  You will also need the bank number for your patch.  These are typically stored as Control 0 MSB and Control 32 LSB messages.  Your Roland manual should have these numbers listed for each bank.  If you store Control 0, Control 32 and Patch change info, that's pretty much all you need to recall a patch.

Now, if someone can provide a slick way of recording all this, it would be a big help.  I typically just put the MPC track in step record mode and do a program change on the keyboard.  If the keyboard/synth module is set up to send program changes, it will send the control MSB/LSB and the patch to the MPC.

By keyzfame Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:26 pm
im not to sure what you are talking about but all in all when i save anything on my mpc i name the kit the same name as the song or seq. and then on my motif i name that the same name as the kit and the seq or song. then as time go on  you might wanna work out some folders. all in all what ever you do on the synth save it the same name as what you name or save on the mpc. thats just how some one showed me[/color]

By midicase.com Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:53 pm
I typically just put the MPC track in step record mode and do a program change on the keyboard.  If the keyboard/synth module is set up to send program changes, it will send the control MSB/LSB and the patch to the MPC.

That is pretty much the slick way of doing it.

The hard way to enter MSB/LSB/PC is in the step edit screen.  For most machines that can be eay, but Roland is very strange about their MSB and LSB values which make it impractical.[/color]

By Wil Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:17 pm
[quote]I typically just put the MPC track in step record mode and do a program change on the keyboard.  If the keyboard/synth module is set up to send program changes, it will send the control MSB/LSB and the patch to the MPC.  

I have a proteus 2000. So in order to get the MPC to call up the programs I simply place the MPC in step edit mode and then find the program on the Proteus 2000 that I would like to use and then exit step edit and bang out the seq and save and it is all set? If so this is off the hook!!![/color]

By EdwardSakamura Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:30 pm
yah, thats how I do it too, but it only works with a sound module like that cuz they "remember" what patch it was set to last and the channel, if you were to load the sequence and then change the patch on the sound module it would play the new patch the way you played the old one.  but if the patch is in a bank that can only be acessed via program and bank change messages, u need to put them into the sequencer when u save it.[/color]

By midicase.com Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:25 am
I don't recall if the Proteus 2k transmits it's bank and program changes.  I do not think it does.  That might be one machine that you may have to manually enter the data in the step edit screen.  I beleive the MSB/LSB values are in the manual.  The different sound ROM's are also accessed by their own set of bank change messages.[/color]

By Wil Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:36 pm
So hoe do I enter the changes in the step edit screen for the PK2? Please explain step by step thanks![/color]