Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By oceanstatekilla Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:06 am
I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN LOOKING FOR A INEXPENSIVE KEYBOARD  THAT SOUNDS GOOD IS MULTI TIMBRAL AND WILL LAST A WHILE. I AM LOOKING FOR A USED ONE BETWEEN 250 TO 300 DOLLARS I HAVE BEEN TOLD THE X5 IS A STEAL OFF EBAY IF U CAN GET THE RIGHT ONE,  I HAVE NEVER PLAYED ON ONE BUT DID SOME RESEARCH AND THEY SEEM TIGHT ANY BODY HAVE ANY INPUT

By llasher Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:29 pm
Man, you gotta get that Caps Lock key fixed  :D

I have an X5D, which I assume is pretty much the same as the X5. Ages ago I had an NS5R, sort of my first synth (a little module), and the sounds on that are similar to the X5D. I sold it to my ex-wife!

I bought the X5D as a gift for my (second) wife: it's not the sort of synth I would buy. The presets are Korg-y and a bit clean for my liking. Some of them are straight up lame. Its got all the GM crap of course. There are a few nice digital basses and pads, but they would need dirtying up for the music I do. You can edit envelopes and stuff and save patches to ROM, but the screen is pretty tiny and I would suggest using a librarian/editor like soundiver for this task. That said, the OS logic of this thing is not bad once you get your head around it.

You could use this as a controller keyboard I suppose. The keys are kind of tight and springy, it is compact in size and the build quality feels really sturdy.

I think you should have a listen to the sounds to see if they suit your music. As a controller type keyboard you could do worse for $250.
:;):[/color]

By D Rocka Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:25 pm
go to modarchive.com, they have some of the X5 sounds. listen 2 some of those and then decide on it[/color]