Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By damien907 Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:49 am
Donlong wrote:
Nojus wrote:anything will do - outboard eq, software eq, filter unit (like akai mfc42), dj mixer, etc.

Cool man thanks for the info. So the eq can be done on the dj mixer too that is pretty cool cos i will be buying a dj mixer for christmas.

Are there any general ranges guidelines for the eq settings for the samples (vocal/ instruments) and also drum samples? for example a book i should read or internet article, or do most people just learn through trial and error. i want to educate myself to get a great warm sound.

thanks again everyone....this forum kicks ASS!

i put an eq reference guide up somewhere on the getting started section a while ago, ill find the link

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=102604

that should get you started, if the link doesnt work, search "some eq tips for the fam" in the getting started section.

hope that helps homie.
By Donlong Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:13 am
damien907 wrote:
i put an eq reference guide up somewhere on the getting started section a while ago, ill find the link

http://mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=102604

that should get you started, if the link doesnt work, search "some eq tips for the fam" in the getting started section.

hope that helps homie.

thanks alot man i just bookmarked this page makes a big difference!
By J-tawn Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:15 am
Yo man i just read this post all the way through BUT THERES ONE THING that is really bothering the SH*T out of me

HOW can you EQ b4 sampling when it comes to recording drum breaks?!?! ( the hi hat, kickk, snare is playing at the same time!?!)

THe only method that came up to my head TO DO THIS was = that you would have to record the breaks 3 times.. once with the eq setings adjusted for only the kick. second with the eq adjusted soloey for hte snare etc???

Thats the way right? seems anoying as hell..

BUT YO Those it make a difference to you guys if you just recored the break first into your mpc ?- chop it, AND THEN apply EQ while RE- recording each hit indivdually? is this still considered eq-ing before sampling in

im so in the boat right now im in the quest to get phat sounds to...

lets keep this thread alive im sure we can get more info guys ;)
By Lymit Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:11 am
I think Pete´s quite crazy. I really like him:)
I heard about his many procedures.
My experience is, I don´t use cheap things.
As less processors in the circuit as beter a sound can be in final.
Beter for me is wait for sound from a studio,
beacause You can´t take it back bad compression, Eq, whatever.
But, If you have good equipment and know how, turn it up:)
By Dodgedriver82 Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:46 pm
im not sure i came across this thread before but , something on the first page really made me laugh......because pete rock said about EQ'in , someone mentioned they panicked cuz they would have to go by a EQ....that shit is crazy, but i sorta understand.........BUUUT ! !.havent we learned by now, Rap Music Was Made Out OF EXPERIMENTATION.....If u really sit and think (it shouldnt take that long either)....there is NO SUCH THING AS INDUSTRY STANDARD in RAP MUSIC. What did the pioneers have to go by ? NOT A DAMN THING. As Long As it sounds good people will respond. Right Now , If A Hot Producer made a number one hit using 2 bricks, a duck whistle , a kazoo, and a telephone keypad, and recorded on an old Tascam 4 track cassette what would some of yall be doin ? Nothin, You'd Be Lookin at all that expensive gear yall got and thinking DAMN , IM AN **** !

This Dont apply to everyone, so dont think im bashin the boards at all,but if that applies to you..thats Just Real ! luckily we come so far in Technology that we have so much more and are more fortunate than the Pioneers we look up to, and even though Producers look back and say "damn i wish they made this when i was comin up"....They dont regret doin what they had to do.

Further more, I do want to say this, mainly to the rooks of beat makin & production........ the creation of music has changed so much in the last decade...Lets not forget, some of the materials we use now IN OUR HOMES is close to or in alot of cases equal to the Top OF THE LINE, Thousands of dollars Studios A few years back. So when u cant come up with something great , there is only one thing holding you back ...its not lack of money, its not having used equipment in ur lab, its not living without that hot new piece of sexy shiny equipment, (Even though sometimes i would even beg to differ, but its true haha )...Its Ur Imagination. Get ya mind right, Blaze it if you got it , Kiss ya girl and tell her you'll see her in a few hours, Get in that studio, and lets make this shit happen.....BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY !
By SARGA Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:06 am
that needs read by every humen being.. i started rappin/writting decades ago after a few years i made beats with no samples other than a kick and snare and a hi hat that came free with fruty loops demo edition, i sat playing round with each sample for what could of been close to 2 months a track, every single person that heard my tracks couldnt say enough how ill shit was.. not talkin anything up at all, that last post is how it is.. the people that are gonna hear your music are 95% listners and 5%producers, and my vocals we recorded with a $2 headset mic from a bargin bin. listen to the first TICAL album.. thats not good quality.. rza lost half his shit in a flood while making that album and its in everyones top ten wu albums. anyway.. im a sucker for raw quality as much as clean. you could have fuzz from a vacum cleaner in the next room comin through your mic and with the right heart... make it work.

read this again anyway, he droped it proper...

.....If u really sit and think (it shouldnt take that long either)....there is NO SUCH THING AS INDUSTRY STANDARD in RAP MUSIC. What did the pioneers have to go by ? NOT A DAMN THING. As Long As it sounds good people will respond. Right Now , If A Hot Producer made a number one hit using 2 bricks, a duck whistle , a kazoo, and a telephone keypad, and recorded on an old Tascam 4 track cassette what would some of yall be doin ?
By DokBrown Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:21 pm
Different types of EQ - EQUALIZER

"If you always reach for the same EQ no matter the sound source or situation, you may be doing your mix a disservice. While there’s nothing wrong with using a general EQ for most applications, it’s possible that you could get better results from a different kind. And there are even cases where a standard EQ could be hurting things. "

https://www.attackmagazine.com/techniqu ... r-the-job/

coming from a MPC1K, the AIR CHANNEL STRIP is amazing
my main EQ is my old Yamaha mixer. [I have 2-3 of the same model]
I’ve been thinking about getting another hardware mixer for a different EQ . . . . . .

PLAY1 seems to be cutting edge but outside my price range
https://playdifferently.org/model-1-4/
By Lampdog Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:45 pm
Old yep, but eq on the way in is still super relevant. :lol:

You can sample with efx added on the newer MPC's. PARA EQ is GREAT!