Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By beach_break Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:50 pm
no! the effects on mixers are crappy - and they cost a lot. you don't want bells and whistles on a mixer - just a good quality pre amp and decent eqs.
the entry level vestax would be starting point.

Donlong wrote:yeah cool thanks. also should i shell out abit more cash and get one with more effects...im assuming that the effects will work in a way that the sample will be recorded into the mpc with those effects, or it better to record the sample dry with just some eq?

ps. I dont have an outboard mixer. thanks
By MU-SICK Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:20 am
I have an akai mpc 60 mk1 and i send the audio signal of the 8 outs to an akai mg 1214.Then i use the mg 1214 eq to eq each sound seperatly.Afterward i record the song using the mg 1214 tape recording system and homie i can tell you that the sound is more than FAT :D

really old school thing to do but the sound is FAT+DOPE+SUBLEVEL :!:
By Donlong Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:31 am
MU-SICK wrote:I have an akai mpc 60 mk1 and i send the audio signal of the 8 outs to an akai mg 1214.Then i use the mg 1214 eq to eq each sound seperatly.Afterward i record the song using the mg 1214 tape recording system and homie i can tell you that the sound is more than FAT :D

that sounds S-I-C-K! lol is the tape recording system expensive or very rare? also how do u get it onto cd , do u ever get it in .wav format from the tape?
By Donlong Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:31 am
beach_break wrote:no! the effects on mixers are crappy - and they cost a lot. you don't want bells and whistles on a mixer - just a good quality pre amp and decent eqs.
the entry level vestax would be starting point.

thnks, beach break, u always help me out with gems of knowledge. you are right the effects are bloody expensive...thanks for pointing me to the entry level vestax!
By beach_break Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:45 am
i also talk a lot of shit at times.

Donlong wrote:...
thnks, beach break, u always help me out with gems of knowledge. you are right the effects are bloody expensive...thanks for pointing me to the entry level vestax!
By Donlong Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 am
actually beach break i got a new idea and question:

I can't afford to get my turntable for awhile and im sampling off cd...can I do the same e.q thing with a dj mixer with cd samples? or could i just add some eq to things i sample off cd in Sonar 3 (my daw) im gonna be sampling drums but also some instruments and loops.

I'd be willing to get a cheap mixer if it helps me with my samples off cds. but the combined price of turntable and mixer aint gonna happen for awhile.
By MU-SICK Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:11 pm
Donlong wrote:
MU-SICK wrote:I have an akai mpc 60 mk1 and i send the audio signal of the 8 outs to an akai mg 1214.Then i use the mg 1214 eq to eq each sound seperatly.Afterward i record the song using the mg 1214 tape recording system and homie i can tell you that the sound is more than FAT :D

that sounds S-I-C-K! lol is the tape recording system expensive or very rare? also how do u get it onto cd , do u ever get it in .wav format from the tape?

A tape recording system isn't very rare or expensive check ebay for real to real tape recorders which are going to make the song sound fat ,especially if you record your samples there first and afterwards to your mpc.

Now if you get it into a cd i think that the analog feeling will be lost ,not all but a part of it due to the fact that cd is in digital format.But we live in 2008 so geting your stuff onto a cd or pc is more than necessary .Although if you do the above procedure certainly they will be a difference whether you get into a cd or not.
By Donlong Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:30 pm
MU-SICK wrote:A tape recording system isn't very rare or expensive check ebay for real to real tape recorders which are going to make the song sound fat ,especially if you record your samples there first and afterwards to your mpc.

Now if you get it into a cd i think that the analog feeling will be lost ,not all but a part of it due to the fact that cd is in digital format.But we live in 2008 so geting your stuff onto a cd or pc is more than necessary .Although if you do the above procedure certainly they will be a difference whether you get into a cd or not.

cool man. when i have more money to throw around i may look into involving tape, but right now im just trying to survive.

are u from greece? ur english is excellent...whereabouts in greece do u live?

i have family in aigalio in athens!
By Housemaster Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:14 am
Yeah the 002XL is tight, I use one and so does DJ Krush...and he's kind of a big deal. Didn't know there was a USB model of it though, that's cool but you could probably get the regular XL cheaper. Anyway I wouldn't eq a sample going into the MPC unless I was sure about it. I would sample it regularly then mess with it, just in case.
By EducatedHands Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:56 am
Housemaster wrote:Yeah the 002XL is tight, I use one and so does DJ Krush...and he's kind of a big deal. Didn't know there was a USB model of it though, that's cool but you could probably get the regular XL cheaper. Anyway I wouldn't eq a sample going into the MPC unless I was sure about it. I would sample it regularly then mess with it, just in case.

that's not a bad idea either. when i eq going into the mp tho it's pretty simple - hide/bring out stuff. it all depends on the application, but i think its a good idea to eq before going into the mp cuz if you got that sample sounding so alive and sweet on its own, you add the drums and everything else, do what you gotta do to that shtt and bong bong. it's aliiive!

i'm just blabbing. but i really really appreciate technological advances in our gear. we can have a budget studio that sounds soo good, in our own houses! cheers ya'll.
By Donlong Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:18 am
EducatedHands wrote:

i'm just blabbing. but i really really appreciate technological advances in our gear. we can have a budget studio that sounds soo good, in our own houses! cheers ya'll.

so true man. in the 90's my uncle had to drop 30 geez to get a pro studio set up!
By Donlong Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:19 am
Housemaster wrote:Yeah the 002XL is tight, I use one and so does DJ Krush...and he's kind of a big deal. Didn't know there was a USB model of it though, that's cool but you could probably get the regular XL cheaper. Anyway I wouldn't eq a sample going into the MPC unless I was sure about it. I would sample it regularly then mess with it, just in case.

thanks man, that helps my decision!
By MU-SICK Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:29 pm
Donlong wrote:
MU-SICK wrote:A tape recording system isn't very rare or expensive check ebay for real to real tape recorders which are going to make the song sound fat ,especially if you record your samples there first and afterwards to your mpc.

cool man. when i have more money to throw around i may look into involving tape, but right now im just trying to survive.

are u from greece? ur english is excellent...whereabouts in greece do u live?

i have family in aigalio in athens!

Yes i am near aigalio it's like 15 min with the car
By Donlong Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:56 pm
MU-SICK wrote:
Yes i am near aigalio it's like 15 min with the car

COOL! My cousins, uncle and auntie live in aigalio I havent been there since 2003 i really miss my family and aigalio its so much more relaxed lifestyle than australia, and also wat i love about athens is that u can go out on any weeknite and it is busy and u can party (even the coffee places at nite have the atmosphere of a great niteclub/bar).

Do u ever go to stroumfakia? (translates to the smurfs lol - the souvlaki place in aigalio) i love how they did home delivery on souvlaki! i really wanna go now having spoke to u about it. wat do u do in greece? also wat style of beat u make? i heard a rap group called filiki eteria...they were pretty good.