Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By modular Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:37 pm
It's been a few days since I've registered here, and I've already learned a load of stuff about the MPC, and I didn't even ordered it yet :D

One thing I've noticed, almost everyone here uses the MPC to produce hip-hop, rap and stuff like that. Others use the MPC only yo make beats, or as a combo to a software-bases setup. And some users here use it to make some techno stuff.

My question is... is there anyone here using the MPC for something else other than this? If yes, shout out and share your stuff (music) with us. I've already searched Youtube for people using the MPC for something else besides hip-hop and I've found nothing.

I'm really curious about this, since I want to buy a MPC and I wont be making anything like hop-hop/rap/techno and stuff like that.....

Shouts out people! Cheers!
By kocha Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:46 pm
What kind of music will you make then?

Think most of the rock or jazz or whatever acts don't need a sequencer. I'm not sure, maybe they use em for the mastered releases, so it sounds more perfect or something.

So hiphop, techno, rnb or whatever will be most likely the soundstyles that you find here.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm working on this triphopsong with a very talented girl: http://www.kocha.ch/beats/astrotravelling.mp3
But it's similar to hiphop.
By modular Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:49 pm
Borntomac wrote:What do you plan on making on the MPC if it isnt a hot and phat azz beat.....

:? :? :?

Well, a bunch of stuff. But one thing is sure: a lot of sampling will go in there. Imagine a mix of Squarepusher with Sakamoto with Herbie Hancock, and add some bossa-nova, jazz and raw analog synthesizers in there. Yeah... it doesn't make much sense, but I'm willing to take the chance and try it out.

kocha: nice stuff on that mp3!
By fader-pro Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:56 pm
I write and produce Advertising, Jazz, World, an some pop stuff on the MPC. I almost always mix "real" instruments with sequenced and sampled information. Here's something with some classical overtones to it.

http://kitebrosmusic.com/images/Infinity.mp3

I used the MPC for all the pads, vocal fx and synth stuff. I also recorded the piano into the MPC as MIDI data from a Motif..... Drums, Bass, & Guitars are not from the MPC.
Last edited by fader-pro on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jonestown massacre Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:34 pm
People forget, the MPC was developed by Roger Linn to help solo guitarists create rhythm sections for their demos. "Electronic music" such a s hip hop, d 'n b, trance, techno; None of this was used as forethought for the MPC....Prince was the most well known artist using the Linndrum before Roger partnered w/Akai!!
By Menco Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:35 pm
That's what I like about the older mpc's. They weren't designed to make beats, but with the creativity of hiphop producers it became a hiphop instrument. Woking on a new gen mpc's is so much easier because everything is designed for beatsampling/ slicing and beat creating. Because it's so easy to use I forget to think about other methods, or try to find other methods.

In once read an article about this songwriter. I don't know her name anymore, but she wrote hits like 'unbreak my heart' and 'can't fight the moonlight'. Commercial pop. When writing she used an mpc for drums and percussion.
By Menco Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:58 pm
jonestown massacre wrote:^^^Toni Braxton??

She sang that song, but didn't write it.
By DJEther Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:06 am
Ive seen videos where they used it for
House Music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1mjSMk_jFE

Glitchcore(cant even classify that as music since its so....so...just google it or search youtube and you'll see what im talking about.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AIUKeqY9MI

Seen a vid where a guy pitched a snare really high, played it on triplets (i think), added and wahwah pedal and used the end result as a guitar for a band he is in and uses it live.

thats all i know for other uses i guess.
By kebzer Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:17 pm
Well, the only producer I know outside hiphop who did a killer track was Towa Tei when did the SP1200 remix for the "Beatbox" joint of Biz Markie and Mos Def.

This guy literally killed the SP on that track. One the finest examples of the true sound of that machine.

But still, it was a hiphop remix. :lol: