Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By drunkmonkey5556 Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:02 pm
Where does DJ Krush find his samples. He has so many great ones. Does he make them himself? With real instruments? Or is he amazing at finding them.
If they are samples, what type of music does he pull them from?
By sensei Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:24 am
Initially he was exclusively samples.

Over the years he has encorporated many live musicians, particularly on albums like Jaku.

However these days, I think he would use whatever he can get his hands on sample wise and he has been like this for over 5 years now.

He is a constantly evolving, changing cat.
By drunkmonkey5556 Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:12 am
also, how does he perform live?
i know he does a lot of turntablism. i don't really know how that works. all i know about turntablism is scratching. but he has records and samplers that he brings with him live. how does he play live????

when i think of me with my mpc, it seems like it'd be impossible to bring it and play live cause there are lots of tracks and what would i do? you know?

so what does he do and how does it work for his type of music to be played live? (when/if explaining this, assume i know nothing of what turntables are.)
By rsthurin Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:29 pm
not sure if anyone but dj krush himself would be able to awnser that for you. your best bet is just to do a google search for dj krush interviews. then listen to lots of older music and practice for years, experiment and listen. he also probably uses alot of Japanese samples and rare shit your not going to find. dj krush is classic.
By sensei Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:09 am
drunkmonkey5556 wrote:also, how does he perform live?
i know he does a lot of turntablism. i don't really know how that works. all i know about turntablism is scratching. but he has records and samplers that he brings with him live. how does he play live????

when i think of me with my mpc, it seems like it'd be impossible to bring it and play live cause there are lots of tracks and what would i do? you know?

so what does he do and how does it work for his type of music to be played live? (when/if explaining this, assume i know nothing of what turntables are.)

He doesn't take samplers live him. He uses an old vstax mixer that has an inbuilt sampler/delay.

It has a toggle switch that can selct either delay or sampler. The sampler setting samples in mono what is being heard in the headphones send. It is difficult to loop with it so he mainly samples one shots and short phrases.

He has a lot of other techiniques. you should get his DVD boxset, you can learn a bit from that.
By drunkmonkey5556 Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:03 pm
Lmao. Was just googling " DJ Krush sampling techniques " for some inspiration . Then I found this post and was like , ah hell yeah , mpc forums. Lets see what they got to say. This OP is a bit of a dingus tho, saying he doesn't know the first thing about what a turntable is. Then I look a little closer and its myself, 11 years ago... Hahaha. I was 15. Probably have so many ridiculous posts on here. Good stuff. Hope anyone who sees this is doing well.
By NearTao Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:30 pm
Doing good man... yeah it can be fun digging through our old posts lol. Hope you're doing well!

I say similar about my old code for software I wrote. "who wrote this unmaintainable garbage... oh yeah... that was me".
By Lampdog Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:40 pm
Wuddup, long time no see!
Hope you and your fam are well.
Stay safe ya dig!