Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By andrzej00 Sat May 01, 2004 8:13 am
About that Midi info, what is the Midi Thru for? How can I use it ?

By binger0 Sat May 01, 2004 8:23 am
A MIDI thru port provides a copy of the MIDI signal arriving at a corresponding MIDI in port. The data from the MIDI THRU socket can then go forward to the MIDI IN socket of another receiving device

By binger0 Mon May 03, 2004 8:31 am
All right
what is needed for a complete pre production studio.

the first thing is ur instruments.Most of us hear don the MPC 2kxl.
Sample or sound source, turns, sound modules, keys whatever u are usin
Then u need a mixer
than u need monitors
Multitrack
Mic
Compressor
Finale Recorder like a cd burner. A multitrack is cool to track on, but u need somethin to get that sh** on some kind of media.

This is esstenial stuff in the pre prouction stage. I left alot of add ons to this studio, but it all depends on you. A setup like this u can make complete beats (create,record,mix, then master)
U can also use hardware or software for all of these applications so dont feel limited.

By binger0 Mon May 03, 2004 8:35 am
Monitor Speakers are one of the most important things in the beatmakin process. If u cant hear an accurate translation of what ur doin then u are gonna have problems. A monitor speaker dosent hide freqs like say computer speakers which hide or overcompensate wackness. In order to get a mix sounding right then monitors homes

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar02/a ... nitors.asp
read this for info on this.
By binger0 Mon May 03, 2004 9:26 pm
An easy way to make MPC program files is with the MPC Editor. You can find it at www.ruggedbeats.com under prodution or go to www.mpc2000xl.com for it. It bascially has 16 pads on the computer where u can assign sounds to pads. Then u can export the file and load it right up into the MPC. There is a 30 day trial full access. It will help if u have a zip or some way to exchange files from ur computer to MPC. Works awsome with Recycle. Tutor has a whole tutorial on recycle. You have to save it as an .akp then open the .akp from recycle in the Editor. Then your chops will be already laid out on the pads when you load the program file.

By dubmunkey Tue May 04, 2004 2:01 pm
aoism, you know you can change tracks whilst still recording? negating the need to stop and start again...

greg

By Phatz Tue May 04, 2004 11:21 pm
Binger.......
Do you know how to get the sounds to play thru the any of the 8 outs when you are trimming a sample.........

I tried the click thru one of the outs, it is the shiznit good looking. This question is asked to Binger but anyone who knows can answer

By dubmunkey Wed May 05, 2004 12:27 pm
good point phatz...i think i generally preview with phones ill have a look when i get in...

greg

By binger0 Wed May 05, 2004 7:24 pm
yeah I cant find out how to do that. Iusally put the stereo outs on the MPC inot a mixer return for that shit.

By binger0 Sat May 08, 2004 6:18 pm
-{n8}- wrote:perhaps you aren't looping the right way. i had problems with looping on the mpc before but then someone sat me down and dropped knowledge on me...

1) make your loops "note off" poly (via program window).
2) go into step edit (main screen).
3) place loop at start of bar (hit loop pad).
4) adjust decay value as needed.

should loop perrrrfffect bro. the best reason for doing it this method is that you already know it started at the first bar.. now you just need to extend it (with decay value in stepedit) to the last bar by slow or speeding up the bpm until it returns to bar 1 without a glitch. if you editing is on point you should be fine.

leaving a bit of extra room at the end of a loop, instead of editing very tight, helps out alot when making the loops fit snugg.

1-0ne
Bytonelabtida Sun May 09, 2004 1:39 pm
F that.... them they figure it out for themselve like the real Production heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One

www.97percentent.com

By binger0 Sun May 09, 2004 9:31 pm
damn some haterade. Yo man then u shouldnt peep the rest of this site, cause all it is info bout production. U can sit in the dark and do it gully or whatever. If that makes u feel better and "keepin it real". I saw the same questions and deceided to answer them all instead of peeps askin that shit on the daily. Its all love. Aint no one gonna make the bangers for u. This is just like the tech support.

By Phatz Tue May 11, 2004 6:56 pm
tonelabtida wrote:F that.... them they figure it out for themselve like the real Production heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the Bloodclot

By dubmunkey Wed May 12, 2004 9:51 am
gertie dont make me come over there!! :D

greg

By binger0 Wed May 12, 2004 8:25 pm
Here is how to make ur samples how not to overlap.

cheech wrote:This can be changed in the same screen that you changed the filter in, the PARAMS screen (SHIFT + PROGRAM, DRUM1, PARAMS). Move your cursor to the bottom right of the screen, and roll the jog wheel. There are three different posotions:

POLY - the sound will play through everytime you press the pad without cutting itself out

MONO - everytime you press the pad the sound will start over from scratch

NOTE OFF - the sound will play only for the duration you press the pad down