Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

Byneilw44 Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:10 pm
:D

Byneilw44 Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:10 pm
:D
Byneilw44 Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:11 pm
:D 2000xl rocks
ByRP Beats Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:01 am
Hello there, Im in need of some good advice , im working on a song with a singer and im using a 4 bar guitar loop but the problem im having is that the singer wants me to change the note up to a higher pitch in certain sequences of the song, i try using the 16 level key but every time i find a pitch i want to use and try to record the change into the sequence it never seems to stay in time with the drum track in the sequence ..so my question is how can i play a sample using diffrent tones and make it say in time with the drum..

Someone help me...................

By BRAVO Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:42 am
Either timestretch it or pitch it up then time stretch it to the desired tempo

ByRP Beats Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:03 pm
thanks man you have helped me solve my problem.... :D

By iknowican Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:23 pm
wow. wish i had seen this earlier. theres some great info on these pages and its all easier to understand than reading the manual. you guys are good people.
i love music and have palyed guitar for about 8 years and studied at thames vally uni. a bought a lttle akai s20 to loop beats to jam over but the frequency was too low to sample most of the beats i wanted. anyway i bought an mpc2000 after working my ass off and saveing up for what seemed like a life time
oops. sorry to give you my life story. what i am trying to say is im a sampler newbie and these pages are a god send.
so thanks to all for shareing some very valuable knowledge. and if anyone needs info on harmony and theory. scales ,chords, modes etc just pm me and i'll do my best to help

By Scott Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:06 pm
cool
By g.whizz Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:07 am
Don't be afraid to set the quantize to OFF.Image

By dubmunkey Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:48 pm
greg says in fact if your not doing dance styles try never to use the quatize unless your going for that swung timberland sound....you will honestly get much better at laying your beats in if you start this way- banging beats in with quantize on wont improve your game...

greg
By BRUHNLAW Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:21 am
I just wanted to say thank you to all those that came before me, blessing me with such a plentiful assortment of food for thought. I'd bet this workin' stiffs paycheck that the tips, references and resources I have found on this board alone will pay dividends. Respect.

8)

By dubmunkey Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:01 am
BRUHN WHAT FILM IS YOUR AVATAR FROM?

GREG

By Gual Thu May 12, 2005 12:25 am
binger0 wrote:MIDI setup for sound mods i used a proteus as an example, but can be any device that you are trying to have a MIDI keyboard, computer, the MPC, and the gear (like an MP-7, rack synths, samplers, etc, anything that you want the MPC to control and have the keyboard control the MPC and the gear) that you want to hook up MID wise.

basic keyboard :midi: out = MPC's MIDI IN (1 or 2)
Proteus 2000 Sound Module :midi: in = from MPC's Out (a or b)
Proteus 2000 Thru (i dont know if it has a thru) = Computers Midi in
Midi Out Computer = to the MPC's MIDI IN

Like this the Proteus would be on 1a and the computer would be on 2a
The keyboard can control the MPC and the computer can control the MPC

You can do it like this
basic keyboard :midi: out = MPC's MIDI IN (1 or 2)
Proteus 2000 Sound Module :midi: in = from MPC's Out (a or b)
Computers MIDI In = from MPC's out (whatever (a or b) your not usin
Midi Out Computer = to the MPC's MIDI IN

Like this
the MPC is controling the computer on B while it is controlling the synth (sound module) on A. The Keyboard is control the MPC and also the synth and the computer.
What if you add HDR to the equation? I'm a "NEWBEE" using: A-70 keyboard controller; D8B mixer; MPC2kxl; 2 Proteus modules; Fostex 16 trk HDR. How do you connect the above where the D8B is the master w/ MTC?
Thanks, GUAL

By Sinosure Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:41 pm
I'm a newbie & I don't even have my MPC 1000 yet! But my point is that this is some GREAT information! Thanks for it! It kinda makes me feel like I felt when I heard Pete Rock's T.R.O.Y.! Man, I played that song over & over & over! I know the CD had a laser groove on that song! And guess what? I did what you said eariler! I broke the whole song down into number of bars & didn't even know what I was doing at the time! With the beginning, verses, chrouses, & the ending! Pete is my all time favorite producer! There are others at the top of my list, but P.R. is my favorite! The soulful basslines, horns, melodies, everything! Thanks for the advice! When I get the MPC, Ima print this all out as well, so I won't be asking the same damn questions! :D
By PG Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:33 pm
aoism wrote:
binger0 wrote:Also RECORD ALL YOUR SOUNDS ON INDIVIDUAL TRACKS FROM ONE ANOTHER.
alright first thing is to put all your sounds on seperate tracks on the MPC. Makes everything easier than just doing a whole beat on S:Track 01

I hate recording on individual tracks because I can't get the groove of what I played down if I'm recording the kicks .. then then snares .. then the hats .. etc. I agree completely that samples should be separated into tracks for each manipulation when playing back, and to make it easier to edit a certain element of your beat.

What I like to do is record it on 1 track, then move each instrument to its own track afterwards to preserve the way I intended it to sound :) I usually wind up doing Snares, Kicks and Hats in 1 record, then overdubbing cymbals and misc sounds after ... then just moving things to a new track based on their note value.

Props on all this though - definitley.

BK

Ayo waz up how can i relay a track using my MPC 1000?