Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By binger0 Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:45 pm
i think he is finshing it up. Good lookin cashstill. Midi thrus are very important if you want to daisy chain MIDI devices.

By -{n8}- Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:33 pm
Utilizing all 4 sample programs in the same sequence.
---------------------------------------------------------
yes, it's true!! the mpc can use 4 programs of 64 sounds (a total of 256) simultaneously in the same sequence.

simply load the programs you want to use then hit "shift+6" and select to edit either "DRUM 1-4" (those are your 4 internal sound program slots). to assign a program to the slot, change the program name listed at the top. another method is to hit the "Drum" button to edit the assignments to your program slots in the same screen.

to change which program is being triggered in the sequence screen, simply go beside the parameter "S:" (think of the s meaning source) and change DRUM1 to another DRUM program slot (you can also change the DRUM to MIDI as well if you wanted to trigger only outboard gear and none of the internal sounds. changing device 1-16 corresponds with midi channel output).

in addition to that, you can use more than 4 different programs (or as many sounds as your ram permits -{shift+4 hit openwindow}- ) for a total of 24 different programs that can be loaded into the mpc at once.

to use more than 4 programs in a sequence, you'll have to understand how program changes can work in your favor. however, this does not mean you'll be able to use more than the available 4 program slots. program changes simply allow you to change the program assigned to any of the 4 DRUM program slots mid sequence by entering the change via step edit or the "pgm:" parameter in the main sequence screen. at no time in one sequence can you use more than the 4 separate programs.

the mpc uses what are called "program numbers" to categorize the individual programs loaded. each program loaded into the mpc can have a different program number that can be altered or changed. to do that, simply go to the program screen (shift+6 then either DRUM1-4) and hit "open window" while you have the name of your program highlighted with the cursor. do a double check to make sure that each program has a different number. you'll need to make note of those numbers and the programs assigned to them if you intend to take advantage of this feature without incident.

the easy way to preview a program change or to assign one to a track is the "pgm:" parameter in the main screen (which is usually set to off) where you can input a program assignment to a DRUM program slot. the best way to implement a program change and have it automate at any point in the sequence is via step edit (find the bar position, hit insert, program change+program number).

because you can only have 4 programs playing at any one time in a sequence you should be paying close attention to what DRUM program slot you have performed this function on. when you input a program change this will change the program assigned to the DRUM slot globally... most errors occur when people input a program change on a DRUM slot that they are using on another track in the sequence for other sounds (makes for some interesting experimental combinations).

the most common use of a program change is two steps before the end of a sequence. this is done so that when the following sequence plays back the new program is already in place and ready for the first note. program changes sometimes take a few extra steps to happen fully.

also program changes can be controlled via midi too. just send the correct message listed on the midi implementation chart (refer to mpc manual).

well, there's a bit of information for you. I feel that program changes are essential to learn if one really wanted to realize the full potential of their mpc.

1-0ne
Last edited by -{n8}- on Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

By binger0 Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:18 pm
see now thats some good ish.

By binger0 Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:56 pm
any more?

By paulio Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:50 pm
n8, I have the 2000 original and wondered if it will be able to do this (use four programs at once).

By -{n8}- Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:12 am
humm good question.. i tried looking up the info but there is nothing in the specs that say anything about multi programs or program changes on the 2000. take a look at the link below and you will see a summary of the two mpc's differences.

http://www.mpc2000xl.com/summary.htm

the "xl" model is the only one to mention programs and changes. i've check other sites to like sonicstate.com and got the same run down. sorry bro... there is a chance i'm wrong though so hopefully a 2000 user can confirm this for you.

oh, here is a video tutorial link incase cat's ain't seen it yet. it's from the producer of hieroglyphics "domino" on his mpc2000

http://www.hieroglyphics.com/features/beats_101/

1-0ne

By Dsoto Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:39 am
This thread is dope! It is definitely informative! Very useful tool! Thanks i will definitely be referring to the midi link..once again dope!

By binger0 Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:37 am
anytime homes

By binger0 Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:22 pm
-{n8}- wrote:humm good question.. i tried looking up the info but there is nothing in the specs that say anything about multi programs or program changes on the 2000. take a look at the link below and you will see a summary of the two mpc's differences.

http://www.mpc2000xl.com/summary.htm

the "xl" model is the only one to mention programs and changes. i've check other sites to like sonicstate.com and got the same run down. sorry bro... there is a chance i'm wrong though so hopefully a 2000 user can confirm this for you.

oh, here is a video tutorial link incase cat's ain't seen it yet. it's from the producer of hieroglyphics "domino" on his mpc2000

http://www.hieroglyphics.com/features/beats_101/

1-0ne

thanks yo, That hiero video is the bomb.

By Phatz Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:55 pm
Good Job Binger....... You are a very good source of information and always willing to share......... There is a lot of info in the tips post that is very good info as well..... You know I never knew about the metro on one of the 8 outs I got to try that...........

Big Ups to my man Binger for dropping the Dope info for the Confussed Newbie
(A link in the forum rules should lead to this post)

Much Respect

By binger0 Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:31 pm
thanks phatz. I think this should be in the 1k section also.

By binger0 Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:42 pm
digital_bastard wrote:A lot of people seem to have MIDI problems, hence this 3-step MIDI primer.

1. MIDI can only be used to control equipment, not transfer audio. Period. It cannot transfer audio.*

2. When connecting MIDI equipment, always connect MIDI OUT to MIDI IN and vice versa.

3. When connecting MIDI equipment and you're unsure about which channel to use, try them all, there's only 16 of them.

* Ok, MIDI can be used to dump sample data from a computer into a sampler, but that's it, you cannot record audio signals through MIDI.

Here's a link to a more in-depth MIDI tutorial: Quick tutorial

By descartes Sat May 01, 2004 1:17 am
paulio wrote:n8, I have the 2000 original and wondered if it will be able to do this (use four programs at once).

No it cant (god knows ive tried to make it)... but at this point you can buy a s series sampler for 100-200 bucks and control it from the mpc, and that'll give you all the programs you need. Ihave a classic 2000 + S1000 set up and it works great.

Its just as well the mpc can't do 4 programs at once because it has a limit on internal sounds at 128. Figure you can put 64 sounds on each program, so that'd be two programs at a time, tops.

Of course, who the hell uses more than 64 sounds in one song anyway? With good use of filtering and tuning, you should be able to have an entire set with just 64 sounds, I would hope.

By binger0 Sat May 01, 2004 1:30 am
yeah to use that many programs or sounds is overkill. I do try alot of chops though so in my beat so I have left over programs

how about trackin on different tracks and usin different DRUM (1-4)? cant u use them all then?

By binger0 Sat May 01, 2004 3:41 am
check it

here is how you post a message.

To make a image on the page

Code: Select all[img]https://images.weserv.nl/?url=www.product62.com/wylie%20funny.jpg[/img]

To make text a link

Code: Select all[url=http://www.ruggedbeats.com/samplinglove.html]Rugged[/url]

Rugged

you can just high light stuff then press what option button at top and it will put the commands in front