Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.

By Javascript Thu May 13, 2004 11:41 pm
Thx dawg I always enjoy reading sum learning ish bout the MPC.

By bidi Sat May 15, 2004 4:04 am
thanks a million...im finally getting a (old stripped down non xl) mpc on sunday and this place is the spot.

i even gotta put the ram in and its looking for a disk when it gets turned on (from this thread i assume i need to install the os on it) but thanks for having a spot to get me started. i dont think ima have a problem with this place around....(especially since the thread below this seems to answer any os questions i have)

thanks!

By cyrus Tue May 18, 2004 4:51 pm
binger0 wrote:Monitor Speakers are one of the most important things in the beatmakin process. If u cant hear an accurate translation of what ur doin then u are gonna have problems. A monitor speaker dosent hide freqs like say computer speakers which hide or overcompensate wackness. In order to get a mix sounding right then monitors homes

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar02/a ... nitors.asp
read this for info on this.

Just to add, For starters, a powered monitor system would be the best all round choice.Differance between powered and non powered speakers:

powered: includes built in amp, hence "powered"

Non Powered: no built in amp, thus you need an amp to go with it; think of these like regular house speakers, you need a reciever for them to work (an amp is like reciever).

WIth powered speakers you can directly plug in your mixer, or mpc to them, plus the amp is designed for the speakers, so less chance of srewing things up.

SIZE to get: they pretty much are 3 sizes, 8", 6", or 3-5". 8" will give you the most response because it can handle more of the bass end (because the are bigger) but 6" isnt bad, it really just depends on your space, and money, but just because the 8" are bigger, does not mean they have to be louder.

You can get a decent pair for around 300-600 bucks. Alesis are good, so are yorkvile psm1. Also EVENT, even are probably the best. But in the 300-500 price range, they all are pretty equal. The best thing to do is test them out for yourself. BUt try to afford an 8" pair.

By binger0 Tue May 18, 2004 7:22 pm
word i got the samson resolv 60A for 299. us Great monitor
By killer joe Tue May 18, 2004 8:18 pm
thanx yall........dope info.....
By Ricochet Rock Nice Fri May 21, 2004 3:21 am
Thanks for the links and tutorials us cats gotta learn too we dont want to
sound redundant but the technical aspect can really bug you out sometimes and we just need a little help from you guys with tenure
here we really appreciate the technical assistance from you guys here. :lol:

By hoolio Sat May 29, 2004 4:00 pm
yeah thanx people of the upper knowledge, you`ve probably saved me a few sleepless nights trying to suss out my new 2kxl :o [/img][/quote]

By binger0 Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:46 am
Swissmaster Cheese wrote:
Code: Select all1/32(3)
1.01.00  .08 .16 .24 .32 .40 .48 .56 .64 .72 .80 .88

1/32
1.01.00   .12 .24 .36 .48 .60 .72 .84

1/16(3)
1.01.00   .16 .32 .48 .64 .80

1/16
1.01.00   .24 .48 .72

1/8(3)
1.01.00   .32 .64

1/8-(eight note)
1.01.00   .48

When I say time space I'm referring to either the 1/4, 8th, 16th, 32nd, 1/2 or whole note within the measure;
If you are programming a drum machine like the MPC then you will be programming the machine differently. The step- time concepts still apply, but the way the programming is done is a little different and you can't let the step rhythm play and add and delete sounds with such ease as a Roland drum machine.

The MPC divides each quarter note into 96 steps. This means that every drum sound programmed will occur every 96th of a quarter note. If a quarter note lasts every 96 steps, then an 8th note will last 48 steps, and a 16th note every 24 steps.

quarter-96
8th-48
16th-24
32nd-12
64th-6

On an MPC the kick occurs every quarter note at the time space 1+00 (the 1st quarter note of the measure), 2+00 (the 2nd quarter note of the measure), 3+00 (the 3rd quarter note of the measure), 4+00 (the 4th quarter note of the measure).

Remember MPC's divides every quarter note by 96 steps.

To grasp a better understanding look at the open hat pattern of figure 2.d. For an MPC drum machine the open hat occurs on 1+48 (step 48 of the 1st quarter note), 2+48 (step 48 of the 2nd quarter note), 3+48 (step 48 of the 3rd quarter note), and 4+48 (step 48 of the 4th quarter note).

By captkickass Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:42 am
i think one thing that no body mentions enough, is the importance of a recording interface, and editing program for the computer.(protools, cubase ect,) just being able to record and edit is an essential tool for production

By8bit Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:34 am
what up yall? i got my 2kxl from a friend and he didn't have the manual so this site has been priceless fro me. thanx for droppin so much knoweledge.
i just have on emore question: does anyone know where i can get an acrobat file of the manual. i know it exists somewhere, because i've seen it before, but i can't seem to find it on the akai site.

good lookin out!

By8bit Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:19 pm
i can't believe i looked at that page about twelve times and never saw the documentation link before today. i'm a blindy.

By 44GunnzUpNukka Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:36 pm
:D Woooo...This Site iz Fiyahhhh!!..Nuff Said!

By kidswithcodes Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:56 am
this is a very non specific tip. after using only the mpc for 3 or 4 years for sequencing and drum programming I got pretty good at making my beats sound very organic. So organic that listeners thought the drums were real when i was not using any loops. I used Velocity, Swing, and the velocity/filter modulation control to fine tune the sound and placement of each hit.

the velocity/filter modulation is in program. select a sound. move cursor to the filter field. then open window and there you can set the filter control according to your velocity hit. this control simulates the brightness/darkness phenomenon that occurs when drummers strike drums with varying dynamics.

thats my two cents