Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By elevated Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:10 pm
Yeah the multiple manuals thing is kinda nuts isn't it?

I guess I could do an MPC/Triton write-up,, I know both machines in and out. I could take some photos of my settings screens and write a couple pointers.
By Clint Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:09 am
That would be great elevated.

I've just been reading a few (old) posts over at the korg forum, including a couple of yours.

I don't know what was up with my Extreme in SEQ mode receiving midi, I didn't change a thing but it was good next time I booted up the machine.

So tested it as a module with the MPC4000...Triton Extreme is the shit!

So as Lampdog mentioned earlier, this thread needs a lift; any contributions or operating tips from existing Triton users are most welcome here. Particularly any tips relating to using the Triton in SEQ mode with the MPC sequencer.

I am now officially an 'Extremist'!!
By NearTao Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:51 pm
Don't know about others, but to get my Triton Studio to talk to my MPC 1k I had to run the Triton Studio's Midi OUT to my Midisport 8x8. I haven't quite figured out why yet, but for some reason the Triton was sending garbage to the MPC and I'm not sure which device was causing the issue. What made the issue weirder was that when I put the Triton Studio's Midi OUT to any other device I have it would trigger notes perfectly.

I may have a setting setup incorrectly though... anybody else have an experience like this that required running the MIDI into another device to get it to work properly?
By elevated Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:34 pm
Clint-- You mess with the settings on the valve tube yet? I thought it was silly before I tried it. Now I think someone would be a fool NOT to use some tube on most sounds, especially drums and bass.
Last edited by elevated on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By NearTao Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:41 pm
Elevated, those tubes can be hot and I totally agree... I really loved the sound of the organs/choirs through them. Totally sick.

I've got the Studio, but a buddy had the Extreme (before he sold it). I think feature for feature I'd rather have the Triton Studio, but man those tubes really do earn their keep. I forget what my buddy had switched his out with, but you can get some even sicker sounds using different tubes. Might be worth a google to see what's compatible... plus as they get older they lose a bit of sound so can be good to replace anyways.

Anybody have any good experience with tube amps? Been looking at 2ube, but not sure if I want to commit to those or keep looking to see what else is out there. Really looking for a good stereo pair but not quite sure which way to go.
By Clint Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:59 am
I've tried the VALVE FORCE tube on a few presets, drums, basses etc it certainly saves you having to buy an outboard processor and can change the tone of a sound significantly.

Im busy working on the mixtape at the moment but expect some Extreme sounds on my tracks.

So how about that walkthrough you offered to post up elevated, or will I have to do it once I've worked out the simplest way to use the Triton /MPC combo?
By NearTao Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:37 am
clint246clint wrote:So how about that walkthrough you offered to post up elevated, or will I have to do it once I've worked out the simplest way to use the Triton /MPC combo?

Clint,

What issues are you having/what are you trying to do? I might be able to shed some light on how I have mine setup if you can let me know what you are trying to do.
By Clint Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:38 pm
Im not having issues, my setup is working just fine.

I just thought that the basics of using a Triton with the MPC sequencer should be immortalised within this thread for the benefit of anyone working with these two pieces.

Essentially a post that covers all the MPC and Triton settings needed to access the multi-timbral Korg Triton sound engine.
By Clint Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm
Lampdog wrote:poor thread. needs an iv and a red bull.
By NearTao Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:50 pm
clint246clint wrote:Essentially a post that covers all the MPC and Triton settings needed to access the multi-timbral Korg Triton sound engine.

There is actually nothing special to do this on either device.

If you are on the Triton and in Program mode, then it will listen to whatever channel you specify in the Midi In settings, global so that it will accept all incoming notes is probably the best, but it can be set to a specific channel. Then on the MPC you set your midi out to either the a/b port and the channel you specified (or any if you are using global).

If you are on the Triton and in Combi mode, then it will by default only listen to the Global channel (Gch I believe), but you can change each of the eight voices to listen to a specific midi channel instead (1-16) and have control over each individual program on the Triton. Then it is only a matter of making multiple tracks on the MPC that each send midi notes on different channels. Combi mode lets you address up to eight different programs/midi channels on the Triton.

If you are on the Triton and in Sequencer mode you can set up to sixteen programs, and address each of them seperately by different Tracks on the MPC. I'll have to look into how you set up the midi though as I'm not 100% sure if you need to set it or each Program on the Triton will be addressable by a different midi channel by default. I don't usually use this mode.

I'll try and get some time to actually write all of this up with the right terms and screens/steps individually as I usually do this by wrote memory at this point without thinking about it a whole lot.
By Clint Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:30 am
Wurd.

Sequencer mode is the one which most people would be interested in so it would be worth creating a template sequence on the MPC to use when sequencing the Triton sounds. Save the template with a name like TRITON MULTI and put this in your TEMPLATES FOLDER or your AUTOLOAD FOLDER for instant use. After creating your beat using the template simply rename the sequence and save in the usual way.

It may also be useful to create a sequencing template on the Triton itself for use when sequencing from the MPC...

An MPC sequencer template would have the following in place by default:

A default Quantize/ Swing setting
Metronome set to ON or OFF
A default tempo
Loop set to ON or OFF
A default sequence length/ number of bars
A default TIME SIGNATURE, normally 4/4
16 sequencer tracks
Track type set to INSTRUMENT
Out 1/A set to the Midi port that sends to the Triton
Sequencer tracks set to send on midi channels 1-16 (Tr 1-Midi ch 1, Tr 2-Midi ch 2)
Out 2/B set to OFF

Apologies if I missed anything, this too was from memory. When I get home I'll add the Triton template settings.
By Mike Boogie Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:09 pm
Now that this thread has been BUMPed. I know I'm gonna sound hella crazy for this BUT a friend and I had a heated discussion about awhile after the Extreme was out and the OG Triton LE was released that Korg was going to release a Blue Triton Extreme LE!!! I seen the ad for it ONCE, then never again... Can any of you heads confirm or deny this exist?
By Lampdog Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:02 am
The triton extreme is actually a heavy blue color already, it's not grey or black. I've never heard of a triton extreme le, since back then, alot of other korg keyboards have came out and I doubt there will be another triton extreme judging by the capabilities of the other keyboards.
By Mike Boogie Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:00 pm
With a little snooping I found that there was some BLACK LE's that came out before the TR's

Oh and BTW... Them links is DEAD on the front page.