Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Ibunshi Mon May 10, 2010 7:18 pm
All drums as one track, never encounterd a problem that couldnt be fixed doing it that way.. Also, in the long run it saves me so much time and space on the harddrive that i could not justify tracking each sound, but im using the 4k, so its easy to do most of the mixing before it gets recorded..

Also if im using any other hardware to process the output with, then it would be impossible to get the sound i'm after if i were to multitrack the drums.
By nod records Mon May 10, 2010 11:36 pm
i do both

do the beat in the mpc. put it in song mode. midi slave your mpc to your DAW. track a stereo mix of your beat in. track a stereo mix of just your drums. then track everything out separate.

if you do it this way you'll have the best of both worlds. tracking the sounds out separately gives you the ability to eq, compress and tweak your sounds, plus gives you the ability to do drops and things after the MC or Vocalist does their thing.

it's a bit time consuming to do it this way, but it's worth putting in the work.
By fasttrackpimp Tue May 11, 2010 3:48 am
I always setup my tracks in song mode and record individual tracks(hat, kick, snare, etc). I just like the freedom of being able to pan, eq, compress and etc. Also as somebody mentioned, it makes making drops or improvising drops, after an artist has recorded to the beat, alot easier.
By DPM Fri May 14, 2010 10:29 am
I'll use the Eq on the 500 every once and awhile and when I do use it, I dont use it heavy, just enough to get a bit of the sound im going for. then i track out each track individually so that i can go back and rearrange it how i want to in the future and mix each track on its own. I've got the 500, so it does take a bit longer than with the other MPC's, so thats why I may be upgrading sometime in the future.
By DokBrown Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:00 pm
DRUM MACHINE Drums – HOW TO RECORD & MIX per ATTACK mag
https://www.attackmagazine.com/techniqu ... ion-ready/

another insightful article on a subject near & dear to my heart: electronic drums

ATTACK MAG PROCESS: DRUM MACHINE SAMPLES FROM RAW TO READY

1] NORMALIZE – loud but no clipping
2] 2-step EQ
3] COMPRESSION
4] SATURATION
5] MASTERING
By DokBrown Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:07 pm
I believe you can do with this inside the NEW MPCs.
Practically impossible with the older machines.
By Lampdog Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:11 am
I'm gonna throw YA Mastering into the convo at this point. It's a damn good 'MPC in the box' take on mastering imo.