Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Destinite Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:09 am
When you use your MPC to put your drums together (and if you're mixing using a DAW to mix), do you track every single element separately - hats on one track, snare on another, or do you track the entire thing as one?

Also, do you use the EQ on the MPC at all, or do you add your EQ after the drums have been tracked?
By MGStudios Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:12 am
Destinite wrote:When you use your MPC to put your drums together (and if you're mixing using a DAW to mix), do you track every single element separately - hats on one track, snare on another, or do you track the entire thing as one?

Also, do you use the EQ on the MPC at all, or do you add your EQ after the drums have been tracked?

Track everything seperately. Track 1- Clap, 2- Kick, 3-Hat. And personally I like to EQ after because of the plugins I have on my computer.
By Destinite Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:35 am
I usually track everything separate on the MPC, but bring the entire drum over to the DAW as one. I guess I just wanted it quick and easy - but I'll bet it makes a world of difference in the end since you have more control over each element.

So if you had a hat, snare and kick (trying to be simple, here), and you had 10 different sequences for the drums, you'd have a lot of recording to do...you would seriously take the time to record all those variations for each track?
By Menco Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:55 am
Destinite wrote:guess I just wanted it quick and easy

Not always the best option to go for
By Floating Fluids Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:45 pm
1. Track them seperately if you want to have more mixing, equing, compressing, effecting, cutting, rearranging possibilities.
or
2. Track them as one if you are satisfied with the drums allready.

I always go with the 1rst. You might want to change something later. And you cant if you do as 2nd.
By Lampdog Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:06 pm
Menco wrote:
Destinite wrote:guess I just wanted it quick and easy

Not always the best option to go for
By Destinite Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:16 pm
I used to just throw a beat together and toss it on my mp3 player, especially after hearing cats say "I put this beat together in an hour" - so I figured why bother mixing. But lately I got more interested in raising the quality and started taking more of an interest in the mixing aspect, so I figured I'd ask.

Can I record multiple tracks into my DAW at the same time with the 500, or do I have to go through entire song track by track?
By dabmeister Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:12 pm
I use both methods of tracking individual parts & stereo tracking (mixing done on the mpc) into the daw.

And I prefer eq'n after the tracks are laid on the daw.
By Lampdog Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:30 pm
Destinite wrote:Can I record multiple tracks into my DAW at the same time with the 500, or do I have to go through entire song track by track?

How many outputs do you have on your 500?

That's what your limited to.
By oraziodelcore Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:29 am
multitracking can be a bit problematic on the 500 since the solo function doesn't apply to the song mode, you have to enter each sequence used in the song and solo the track from there.

another way is to set all the other tracks you wish to exclude from the recording by setting the volume parameter on 0 and leaving the volume on the track you wish to record audiable.
By Arkane™ Mon May 10, 2010 6:13 pm
I used to separate all my tracks into my DAW, but after awhile I started getting better at just mixing everything inside my MPC, because in my opinion, something gets lost in the track when its recorded to a DAW. Maybe thats just me, but I like to keep it raw and record one track into my DAW and add a little compression, ect. I just mix my drums in the MP until they sound bangin' in the headphones and the monitors.