Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Rodrigo Mon May 17, 2010 6:39 pm
I'm trying to figure out how MF Doom does his drums. It sounds like he uses no quantization and cuts the decay out of the drum sample. But maybe its more than that. I also think he chops up drum loops down, but not down to single drum hits. It sounds like a basic technique, but I would like to know what ya think. Here is a link, it starts to sound choppy in the intro and around 1:25 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzVkD9PYCWA
By Rodrigo Mon May 17, 2010 9:31 pm
It also kinda sounds like his drums have an EQ boost in the high end. You hear it on the hi hats.
By Rodrigo Tue May 18, 2010 6:33 pm
séance wrote:It's a simple technique. Use "Note On".

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=RCKCpD

That track is hot. But you mean "Note Off" on the overlap function, right? Unless you're talking about the Note Repeat button, which you'll need to elaborate if that's the case. But I doubt it.

I usually use the Note Off function on bass samples and anytime I want a sample to play for the exact duration of a whole note, half note, etc. Just adjust the duration in Step Edit afterwards... But damn it sounds dope on drums. Never thought to use it like that.
By Ill-Green Tue May 18, 2010 8:19 pm
I don't think DOOM has a technique to his drums. He pretty much chops up a drum loop to different pads and then bangs it out without the metronome and/or quantize. Whatever comes out, stays and it is what it is.
By séance Tue May 18, 2010 11:32 pm
Rodrigo wrote:That track is hot. But you mean "Note Off" on the overlap function, right? Unless you're talking about the Note Repeat button, which you'll need to elaborate if that's the case. But I doubt it.

On the JJOSXl2 operating system the "Note On" feature can be found in the program editor catagorized in "Play Mode". It replaces "One Shot." When note on is selected for a sample the sample will only play for as long as you hold down the pad.

Here was my process for the track above

1) I recorded my drums with the programs play mode set to "One Shot"
2) After I finished my drum sequencing I changed the play mode to "Note On" for the snare sample
3) I manually trimmed the duration of each sample in the step sequencer to create the "stuttered" effect.
4) I finished by shifting the pitch of certain drums in the sequence.

Glad you guys like the track, I didn't know what to expect. I made good use of the JJosxl2 slider functions as evident by all the crazy real time stretching when the track speeds up.
By The Grublet Wed May 19, 2010 12:02 am
He uses an MPC 60II.

Hence the high end presence.

he uses the note off function.

some of his stuff is really rough live track mutes while using live taps (but playing looped sequences.

the song you posted is done like that.

he also uses a shitton of compression.

how do I know?

because I know Daniel Doomalay. Thats why.... sucka!
By Rodrigo Wed May 19, 2010 3:29 pm
séance wrote:
Rodrigo wrote:That track is hot. But you mean "Note Off" on the overlap function, right? Unless you're talking about the Note Repeat button, which you'll need to elaborate if that's the case. But I doubt it.

On the JJOSXl2 operating system the "Note On" feature can be found in the program editor catagorized in "Play Mode". It replaces "One Shot." When note on is selected for a sample the sample will only play for as long as you hold down the pad.

Here was my process for the track above

1) I recorded my drums with the programs play mode set to "One Shot"
2) After I finished my drum sequencing I changed the play mode to "Note On" for the snare sample
3) I manually trimmed the duration of each sample in the step sequencer to create the "stuttered" effect.
4) I finished by shifting the pitch of certain drums in the sequence.

Glad you guys like the track, I didn't know what to expect. I made good use of the JJosxl2 slider functions as evident by all the crazy real time stretching when the track speeds up.

If the sample plays for as long as you hold down the pad, then Note On on the JJOSX12 is the same as Note Off. Can you elaborate on how you used the slider with time stretch? I liked how it sounds. I've heard of people chopping up their own song and then triggering the chops with the slider set to tuning. To slow up and speed up. Not sure if that's what you did.
By Rodrigo Wed May 19, 2010 3:59 pm
The Grublet wrote:some of his stuff is really rough live track mutes while using live taps (but playing looped sequences.

In other words, he merges all his drum hits to one track and messes with the track mute? And also plays single drum hits? My bad, I tend to over think it. But would appreciate it if you elaborate a little.
By J Hill Thu May 20, 2010 2:29 am
honestly,
and i might sound like a idiot for saying this but f' it.

when I have a loop playing and then goto the Load option on my 500, I sometimes just hit the play button a couple times on any particular drum, snare, or kick sample to get a feel for how it blends with the loop and to me (maybe only me) it sounds like what he does sometimes is hit record in whatever software he uses, and just hit's the play button. i dont get the same response from the "note on" feature as I do when just taping the "play" button on the load screen.

but thats just me.
By j-no Thu May 20, 2010 4:43 am
doom drums are DEF! sounds to me as if he chops like a kick w/ a high-hat at the end of it etc. i read in an interview somewhere that he doesn't sequence, he records everything onto his VS- recorder...
By Rodrigo Thu May 20, 2010 3:55 pm
I can see how he could just chop up a drum loop into bars or beats and triggering them throughout the song without quantize. Without even recording it onto a sequence, playing it live. That makes sense, good insight. Although that stuttering effect, you only get with the Note off/Note on function. It's probably a combination of both.