Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By ArKyve-31 Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:12 pm
youknowmysteeze22 wrote:Im using an MPC 3000 and trying to chop these breaks. That digital silence is killing me trying to get these drum breaks to sound smooth. lol

It also helps to remember that the breaks need to be played closer to the original tempo. What I mean is if the break is originally at 98 bpm and you're playing it to a beat of 80, of course there is going to be digital silence, to avoid that I usually detune up or down to fit the tempo or just layer in more drums in the the background to offset the silence.
By youknowmysteeze22 Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:37 pm
ArKyve-31 wrote:
youknowmysteeze22 wrote:Im using an MPC 3000 and trying to chop these breaks. That digital silence is killing me trying to get these drum breaks to sound smooth. lol

It also helps to remember that the breaks need to be played closer to the original tempo. What I mean is if the break is originally at 98 bpm and you're playing it to a beat of 80, of course there is going to be digital silence, to avoid that I usually detune up or down to fit the tempo or just layer in more drums in the the background to offset the silence.

Good call. I gotta watch that tempo. Do you guys always beef up your break drums with other drums over them?
By ArKyve-31 Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:28 pm
youknowmysteeze22 wrote:Good call. I gotta watch that tempo. Do you guys always beef up your break drums with other drums over them?

about 98 percent of the time I use drums from at least 3 different sources, then again sometimes I'll just loop a break over and over and over again.....
By brucker Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:27 am
one way to get rid of the digital silence is to use the slightest bit of reverb and the slightest bit of compression to gel it all together. i mean very very slight, barely audible, and certainly not so obvious that anyone can spot it immediately,... unless you're going for a cavernous sound of course.

you have to remember that alot of those old breaks werent close miced and the point back then was to capture the performance in the room, so quite a few of those classic breaks might have been recorded with no more than a single mic out front, so digital silence is the lack of a room within which your drums are being played.

even today, when tracking live drums, you're more than likely to find atleast one mic serving as the room mic even though every little nut and bolt on the kit may have its own dedicated mic.
By Clint Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:23 pm
@youknowmysteeze22

This thread is supposed to be about live hi-hat tricks.

If you have more questions about chopping/ sequencing breaks start your own thread or better still, do a search.
By high hat Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:39 am
As the early Devo shaped their sound over years of rehearsal in a disused Akron carwash, Mark Mothersbaugh and the other members took every opportunity to expand the palette of sounds available to them. The few pre-built synths on the market were colossally expensive, so this uncontrollable urge to experiment was channelled into building their own gear and modifying anything they could get their hands on.

“My brother Jim was the first drummer for Devo, and early on, I was trying to encourage him to come up with something electronic-sounding on drums. And he invented one of the first electronic drum kits, in like ’72-’73. On his very first electronic drum kit that he built, he took acoustic drums and took guitar pickups, glued them on to the heads, and ran that through a wah-wah pedal and a fuzz pedal and an echo box, and put that into an amp on stage. So he’d sit there, and he’d have one foot on his kick, and the hi-hat would be totally closed but it would be going into a wah pedal. He was using the filter on the mic going into the wah-wah pedal to make an open and closed hi-hat, and he could get all this articulation on it. It was really crude and it was really scary-sounding. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything since that was quite like what his drum kit sounded back in those days. And it was a little bit out of control. Sometimes, by going into this Echoplex and trying to work it while he was playing with the band, it would start regenerating to the point where he couldn’t stop it on stage, and he’d have to stop playing so he could turn off the Echoplex.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug10/articles/devo.htm
By Sequencer1 Tue May 12, 2020 2:59 am
Does the LFO on the newer touchscreen MPC/Force not reset on each note-on MIDI event?
I'm trying to point the S&H LFO to pan on a hi hat sample, so that each hat hit is located in a different space in the stereo field, but it doesn't sound right.
Tried BPM sync, 1-shot/Hold mode, etc. No Poly/Mono mode or note-reset On/Off mode?
Any ideas?
By Lampdog Tue May 12, 2020 3:46 am
Use a panning effect.

ping pong delay

Something like that.
By Sequencer1 Fri May 15, 2020 4:16 am
Thanks @lampdog but unfortunately none of the panning effects have S&H/random as a modulation source. Looks like the MPC/Force's LFO is not free-running. I can get close though with the effects and workarounds. Thanks again.