Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By the.dude Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:50 am
Pastor-of-Muppets wrote:42000 views?! that's 42000 people disappointed by his oversized head

That's sig worthy for sure
By Explicit- Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:57 pm
ghosty wrote:Aight, N!GGA... im making a beat tag. I will post a sound cloud link. The beats are NOT free to sample,use,re-create, download,copy with any external plugin or audio recording. Without a licensing contract from myself(composer,Publisher).
Beat tagging my music. Then i will post 10 or so.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
By crothers Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:48 pm
on the next episode of ghost hunters
By dustymaestro Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:27 am
Use a delay for your next hit.

Delay time formula.

60000/bpm = milisecond setting for delay efx . The equation can be divided again for quarter notes and sixteenth notes.
By nod records Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:31 pm
ya'll are sleeping on the easiest way.

take your hi-hat. put it on 16 Levels Velocity. now find 2 or 3 velocities that you like and just play those pads for the variation. that's an old school technique used forever.

a perfect example is Ron "AMEN-RA" Lawrence presents: "Where I'm From", the making of the Jay-Z track. VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6P06Ddzac

watch what he does when he lays the hi-hat in. 16 Levels Velocity. he just goes back and forth between 2 different velocities. hit the lower velocity first, then the higher velocity pad next. go back and forth between them. he's going back and forth from pad 8 to pad 14, but use your ear and pick the velocities that you like. try it with the quantize set to 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 or turn off the quantize, see which one feels best.

i'm using an MPC 2500 now. another trick i learned is to just lay the hi-hats in at full velocity. i use the note repeat button and lock it on. that way i can go between 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 quantize live and freak the hi-hats. i record the hats on their own track in the MPC. then i go into the Step Edit mode and you can see the velocity for each hit all the way to the right of the screen. then you can go thru and highlight each one and type in different velocities for each hit. do the first on at like 111, the next one leave at 127. go thru and every other hat make 111. that gives you some nice variation. it's a bit of a pain in the ass to sit there and type in the velocity for every other note, especially when you got an 8 or 16 bar sequence, but it def makes a difference and is worth the time.

if anyone is using and MPC 2500 and edits their hi-hat velocity in Step Edit Mode and knows and easier or quicker way, please let me know.

each one teach one.

hope this helps.

pce
By cyrus Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:55 pm
nod records wrote:ya'll are sleeping on the easiest way.

take your hi-hat. put it on 16 Levels Velocity. now find 2 or 3 velocities that you like and just play those pads for the variation. that's an old school technique used forever.

a perfect example is Ron "AMEN-RA" Lawrence presents: "Where I'm From", the making of the Jay-Z track. VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6P06Ddzac

watch what he does when he lays the hi-hat in. 16 Levels Velocity. he just goes back and forth between 2 different velocities. hit the lower velocity first, then the higher velocity pad next. go back and forth between them. he's going back and forth from pad 8 to pad 14, but use your ear and pick the velocities that you like. try it with the quantize set to 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 or turn off the quantize, see which one feels best.

i'm using an MPC 2500 now. another trick i learned is to just lay the hi-hats in at full velocity. i use the note repeat button and lock it on. that way i can go between 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 quantize live and freak the hi-hats. i record the hats on their own track in the MPC. then i go into the Step Edit mode and you can see the velocity for each hit all the way to the right of the screen. then you can go thru and highlight each one and type in different velocities for each hit. do the first on at like 111, the next one leave at 127. go thru and every other hat make 111. that gives you some nice variation. it's a bit of a pain in the ass to sit there and type in the velocity for every other note, especially when you got an 8 or 16 bar sequence, but it def makes a difference and is worth the time.

if anyone is using and MPC 2500 and edits their hi-hat velocity in Step Edit Mode and knows and easier or quicker way, please let me know.

each one teach one.

hope this helps.

pce

yeah, thats what i mentioned in earlier post.

another way to do it is to use 2 pads with same sample assigned to them instead of 16 levels. this way, you alternate between both pads when you lay down your pattern, but then you have more control over each pad because you can go into pgm mode and adjust level there and dont have to go into seq edit (more tedious). just lower the level of the second pad in pgm mode.

this also allows you to swap samples. if you choppin a break, maybe the first pad will be a chop thats longer with some air, and the second pad could be tighter and more abrupt....... but both samples still from the same break so they are the same hat and feel right....now you have alternating velocities and alternating hihat samples....and a pattern with way more variation and control.

its good to do this with snares too. that why breaks are the shizz. you can steal variations of snares from the break, the same but differant enough to add subtle variation. listen to dilla, he did that all the time, it made his patterns groove more and simple boom bap not so repetative.
By stinktank Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:49 am
nod records wrote:. it's a bit of a pain in the ass to sit there and type in the velocity for every other note, especially when you got an 8 or 16 bar sequence, but it def makes a difference and is worth the time.

On my 2000xl, I just give the jog wheel a little spin. It's quick and the relative inaccuracity of it just adds to the natural feel. Although doing it on a 16 bar sequence will be slow no matter what.
By -niN Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:18 pm
dmarz45 wrote:Instead of taking a sampled hi hat and trying to make it sound live, why dont you just go out and buy yourself a nice pair of hi hats and a mic and play your hi hats live on your tracks.. Nottz is known for doing that and his hats sound CRISPYYYYY!!!

You do know that Hihat's are quite expensive right?? Otherwise true. I'd do that straight away but... :cry:
By -niN Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:38 pm
You could lay down ur hihats with the note repeat button and full level switched on, then control the velocity with the Q link sliders..

i never do that, just heard of the method somewhere, forgot where. i just tap 'em in by hand, no TC no 16levels and no full level. What I do use quite alot , are the many ways to make the velocity effect the sound of the sample, like velocity depth on the ADSRs, aftertouch, all the stuff you can find in the SAMPLE screen in PROGRAM mode.
advantages:IMO it's not tedious, or time consuming, and it's fun, and after you experimented with all that, you can just play it live. and again :IMO it's not tedious, or time consuming, and it's fun. :mrgreen:

+The best way to achieve a live feel is by playing it live.
By dtaa pla muk Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:44 pm
stop using 1 sample for each drum if your rhythms sound crappy, or if they sound like the whole of electronic percussion programming technique hasn't improved since the earliest 90s.

listen to alex da kid, airplanes (Version 1, don't know wtf is the point of version 2). those drums have EDGE and attitude rather than being just blatantly programmed oneshots (most 808 style electro hip hop beats of today) or lazy, tired and round-sounding (yesterday's boom bap). it's great there are producers in the highest tier of the mainstream putting some goddamn effort into their drumcraft...gives the rest of us a little hop.e
By -niN Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:26 pm
A-feckin-Gree!!!
The least one should do is have an open and a closed hihat mute each other, since it's even recommended to use it that way in the manual ( at least in the Akai MPC 2500 manual), ther is absolutley no excuse for not knowing about it :!:
By dtaa pla muk Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:41 pm
even "Like a G6" has deceptively awesome drums/hi hats. definitely more electro influenced but that's probably the kick in the pants contemporary popular hip hop needs. +10 style points for Far East Movement.

people moan and complain, but i feel like there's better popular hip hop/crossgenre in 2011 than there was in 2007, 2008.