Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Peesnuts Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:03 pm
Lol 10,000 hours, and the rest is opportunity. Is that from the Tipping Point also, because I read it in Outliers. (Malcolm Gladwell) - Good Book.

There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." The other says, "This is new, and therefore better". - Bob Katz
By Menco Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:28 pm
When I'm recording mc's I always say:

"It's not about how many takes you have to take, it's about how many takes you can give".
By thx Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:37 am
"Sampling's not a lazy man's way. We learn a lot from sampling, it's like school for us. When we sample a portion of a song and repeat it over and over we can better understand the matrix of the song." —Daddy-O of Stetsasonic, cited in Black Noise by Tricia Rose, Wesleyan Press 1994, p. 79

from wikiquote -- https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sampling
By Ill-Green Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:43 am
Menco wrote:When I'm recording mc's I always say:

"It's not about how many takes you have to take, it's about how many takes you can give".

Word, most times I give 40 takes before my voice begins to tire. On a good day usually 3 takes will do, but I like to stretch it to 40 because by the 20th take, you so sick and tired of the song that you begin playing with the words to prevent boredom and thats when the crazy shit begins popping and new flows are born :wink:
By JamesJeffery Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:23 pm
"I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to." - Elvis

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
By itchyvinyl Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:56 pm
"Ain't nothin to it but to do it."

- one of the dudes from Double Trouble (from Wild Style)
By itchyvinyl Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:13 pm
Upright wrote:I would rather work with the world's greatest drummer in the world's worst studio, than work with the world's worst drummer in the world's greatest studio- Chris Shaw (A Tribe Called Quest, Weezer, Dylan) TapeOp #83

I made a whole album with Chris Shaw producing.
I was the drummer. :mrgreen:

He told a lot of good P.E. stories from his time engineering for them too.
By ErrorRunQ Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:55 am
"Man must respect his own creativity. As soon as man loses faith in his potential significance and value, he reduces himself to the status of an animal, who has lost the sureness of his elemental instinctual responses" - Lewis Mumford
By Lampdog Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:28 pm
Menco wrote:"It's not about how many takes you have to take, it's about how many takes you can give".

I like that, genius.
By Lampdog Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:40 pm
Yep, I am mediocre as **** but no ridiculing at all.

quote that

:lol:
By Koekepan Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:07 pm
Problems worthy of attack
Prove their worth by hitting back.

-- Piet Hein

A singer must die
For the lie in his voice

-- Leonard Cohen

And everything depends upon
How near you sleep to me

-- Leonard Cohen

And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?
We call it riding the gravy train.

-- Pink Floyd

Life is short and love is always over in the morning.

-- The Sisters of Mercy

And all I know for sure
All I know for real
Is knowing doesn't mean so much
When placed against the feeling
The heat inside when bodies meet
When fingers touch.

-- The Sisters of Mercy

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

-- Hunter S. Thompson

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.

-- Ernest Hemingway