Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By damien907 Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:39 pm
thanks man, ill check that out, looks like they have a bunch of other cool plug ins too.
By realdza Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:10 am
I always pay attention at tuning my drums to the key of the songs. Of course, I mostly use my ears, but I'm also using a library called In-Tune HITS which makes the process of picking the right drums easier. Actually, when one is picking the drums for a track, he unconsciously also tries to find a drum that is in-tune, besides things that he obviously checks for like.. I need a hard bumping drum, with more lows, or with more thump etc.
By -niN Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:42 pm
If you sample a drum break from a record, there is always a certain amount of ambience (reverberation in the background, and such).
what I do is, try to get that to mesh with the ambience and the whole sonic of all the samples alltogether.. if you know what I mean..
Sometimes this is done by a bit of pitching and filtering...
othertimes it can get a bit more intricate.. using envelopes, EQs or even ambience effects such as reverb.
I tend to pay a lot of attention to subtile details when I make beats.. sometimes maybe a little too much.. IDK.
By Ibunshi Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:11 pm
i tune them to sound good, and "good" isnt necessarily much in tune with other elements, so its nothing i ever think about, as any tuning that is done is simply part of the mixing and forming of the sound, which is done by ear.. so i see no need to sit and think about it really..

but there is far too many tracks where the thought has been taken too far.. too perfectly in tune can make things sound sterile and unnatural on some tracks depending on material.. and some drums juist wont sound good if you alter the pitch too much etc etc
By m56p87 Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:05 pm
Ibunshi wrote:i tune them to sound good, and "good" isnt necessarily much in tune with other elements, so its nothing i ever think about, as any tuning that is done is simply part of the mixing and forming of the sound, which is done by ear.. so i see no need to sit and think about it really..

+1 on this, I never tune to match the song harmonically but rather tune the kick to define its place in the mix. all is by ear. Also tuning anything other than bass lines into key can sound really really sterile.
By m56p87 Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:27 pm
Nym wrote:boy, this forum has come around
there was a time when someone argued with me that drums could not be tuned
i promptly made a drum chromatically tuned program and played "mary had a little lamb"

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=111313&start=0

I think that's the first time in history someone was shut down by Mary had a little lamb. Drums can definitely be tuned... It's the effiectiveness that's debatible.
By -niN Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:25 pm
:lol: Yeah I remember that one.. :nod:
By -niN Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:33 pm
talking about tuning drums.. or rather.. since we are using samplers: changing the pitch of drum samples...

I like to pitch Hihats rathr low and use a highpass filter..
or to turn a snare into a hihat by chopping off the attack, pitching it a lil higher and using a hpfilter.
By Roots Renegade Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:12 am
Nym wrote:boy, this forum has come around
there was a time when someone argued with me that drums could not be tuned
i promptly made a drum chromatically tuned program and played "mary had a little lamb"

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=111313&start=0

Are you talking about that program ?

Nym wrote:http://nymantics.com/drumsdohavetone.mp3

:lol: :hmmm:

I DID NOT expect that...

NSFW
By dtaa pla muk Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:21 am
HOLY SH!T.

to anyone just tooning in (yes pun intended)
obviously this is not my doing and not my intention
no moral judgements here but also understandably not something i want to have my name attached to
what can i do about this?
Last edited by dtaa pla muk on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
By wudsiba Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:42 am
Ibunshi wrote:but there is far too many tracks where the thought has been taken too far.. too perfectly in tune can make things sound sterile and unnatural on some tracks depending on material.. and some drums juist wont sound good if you alter the pitch too much etc etc

I think that's it exactly. One of the last things I do is detune every instrument slightly. Just makes everything sound more "real". When working with multitimbral instrument samples, it's easy to have things sound too perfect. Tuning the drums too tightly just adds to this. By ear is the best way to avoid steralization.

I'm really starting to feel that most musicians/beat makers have OCD to one extent or another. That's probably a good thing.

When I first started making music, I would adjust every note length, have everything tuned as perfectly as I could, and completely steralize the hell out of it. I just wanted everything to be perfect. I have come to the conclusion that most of the music that I truely love is imperfect in many ways. The beauty of art, to me, is really the strive for a kind of perfection with the imperfections shining through.

Kind of went on a tangent. Sorry about that. What I mean to say is: Yes. tune drum samples, but don't get too obsessed about it. If it sounds good; It is good.
By jpeg Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:25 pm
from my understanding u dont need to get scientific

or have music knowledge of knowing what key ur song is and matching ur drums to the same key.

ive neva done it

i just load up drums that sound good with the track and if i need to adjust the pitch of drums i will do just so tonally it fits with the song

but this is not a requirement

u should not need to tune on every track only when shit doe not sound right, but if shit dont sound right maybe u picked the wrong drum sounds.

but sounds like the op wants a paint by numbers formula for a subjective artistic process
By bliprock Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:34 pm
iDrumTune.

enough said mofos. Get it now. cos it is only 99c. Well it cost me 2 bucks but that is cos i get ripped off in australia app wise. So get ya iPhone, iPad ect and just put it near monitor for awesome drum tunage,

It is great and shows wave as well as pitch and Frequency in Hz. Is designed for real drums, but **** that I have an MPC and just hold it up to monitor as I hit pad. Very accurate to and handles short transients very well.

Oh and my finger clicks are a C I found out. :)