Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By m56p87 Sat May 18, 2013 5:11 pm
@golden era
If its about the metronome couldn't you just change the speed of the click in the metranome window? As far as over complicating things, I would argue knowing the mathematics of the machine would simplify your workflow... The whole thing is numbers. And for a beginner doubling your tempo and in turn needing to adjust your time sig, as well as understanding what's happening to the sequencers resolution is already complicated. You might as well get a handle on things...
By Golden_Era Sat May 18, 2013 5:32 pm
M56,

I see your point, I think regardless of whether you double tempo or regular time, too many heads bang out the drums in too fast of a tempo. I slow it way down to a crawl but it works for me.
By CHOPFYT Sun May 19, 2013 8:04 am
pretty sure S.I.C.K knows the boom bap formula golden era im pretty sure every f*cker in here does...doing what your suggesting would be just returning to the regularly scheduled program

yo sick why where you trying to do this technique?...if it was to keep the pitch of the sample then id say people whove mentioned switching the quantize to 'half speed' and adjusting the click to give you a better idea of where the drums will land are on point
By Golden_Era Mon May 20, 2013 8:57 pm
Not sure what kind of drum programming the original poster is going for but i was messing with some regular time boom-bap patterns and i found 1/16 @ 67-68% swing was giving me that head nodding 90's boom bap ala Pete Rock, Nick Wiz,even Damu (although not a 90s era guy) etc. without the crazy loose swing of Premier. I found it to be pretty similar to 1/16 (3) as used by many of the older heads for boom bap stuff.
By peterpiper Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 pm
Golden_Era wrote:Not sure what kind of drum programming the original poster is going for but i was messing with some regular time boom-bap patterns and i found 1/16 @ 67-68% swing was giving me that head nodding 90's boom bap ala Pete Rock, Nick Wiz,even Damu (although not a 90s era guy) etc. without the crazy loose swing of Premier. I found it to be pretty similar to 1/16 (3) as used by many of the older heads for boom bap stuff.

It IS exactly the same than 1/16 with 67% or 68% swing quantize :)

peace
By marrelarre Tue May 21, 2013 7:53 am
Golden_Era wrote:I see a lot of dudes on YouTube just chopping stuff to pieces and playing 16 pads but musically it doesn't come together for me. Everyone is now obsessed about late hats and different volume for hi hats but Primo, Showbiz and Pete Rock hardly ever did that. But I digress.

Amen!
A lot of dudes seem to be chopping shit for the sake of chopping, If the original loop sounds better than your chopped loop then youve failed big time, at least thats my opinion.
By peeping tom Tue May 21, 2013 8:25 am
i'll just pop the hit in on its own track (if its odd timing) and bump it around til its where i want it, then i take note of the number in the event window

Dont know about the rest of you but i tend to remember certain numbers when i find something that sounds good, snappy drums, slow kicks, etc

so say im programming and i want that ba-boom-boom-bap kick pattern, i know its going to be a combination of three numbers and i generally know what they are for certain types of swing, just memory. say i want a late hihat, or kick, that shit hits on 60 to 61 instead of 48 or 51, where i know straighter shit hits on 50 to 48
By Golden_Era Fri May 24, 2013 12:18 am
That is one area i never explored which is step editing in the mpc. I understand the premise but ill admit i dont think its too easy. If anyone has any tutorials on this subject of step editing with mpc pls let me know
By Lampdog Fri May 24, 2013 12:25 am
Golden_Era wrote:That is one area i never explored which is step editing in the mpc. I understand the premise but ill admit i dont think its too easy. If anyone has any tutorials on this subject of step editing with mpc pls let me know

Make a simple beat, go into step edit and play around with the notes. Play it back and see what it does.
By nod records Fri May 24, 2013 7:53 am
i found this in an old post about working in double time. i gave my best explanation of why and how to work in double time. hope it helps. each one teach one. pce.

you def are better off making your beat in double time. so 70bpm would be 140bpm. you also have to understand that when working in double time, your quantize is doubled too. so 1/8 would be 1/16, 1/16 would be 1/32, 1/32 would be 1/64, etc... also, an 8 bar sequence would really be 4 bars, because you are working in double time. once you understand all these factors it will start to make sense to you. cats used double time on the mpc's to get that extra bounce and faster rolls, since the older mpc's only went up to 1/32, but in double you get up to 1/64.

working in the mpc, work in double time. put your 808 snare on 16 levels and play around with the quantize setting and note repeat button. start the roll on 1/8, then try 1/16, then maybe 1/8t. experiment with it to your taste. here's a video of a cat doing it on the mpc 4000, so you can see what i'm talking about. the mpc 4000 is the king of the mpc's for those rolls. i think the 4000 goes up to 1/64 quantize, so you get that 1/128 in double time, like a machine gun. more like newer cats like lex luger.

RAWBEATZZ MAKINIG TRACK ON MPC4000

doing it in software like FL Studio, Ableton, Reason, etc... apply the same concepts. it's even easier with software, because you can get crazy with the quantize/grid settings. also you apply panning effects, delays, etc... to get crazy rolls going on. also, play with velocity settings. here's a video of a cat showing you how to do the rolls in FL Studio. FL Studio is even easier than other programs. in its piano roll it has a midi note chopper tool. you'll see it in this video. that's how Lex Luger does his snare and hat rolls all day.

Snare Roll in FL Studio

Hope that helps. I've been messing around with it too on my MPC 60, MPC 2500SE and Ableton Live. It def takes practice and experimenting to get it good and come up with your own spin on it.

I think Drumma Boy is one of the best and he's using the MPC 4000. I also respect new cats like Lex Luger & Jahlil Beats. Creative drum programming, when done right, gives the beat a good vibe and keeps it moving.
Last edited by nod records on Sat May 25, 2013 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Golden_Era Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 pm
To the last poster,

I am not sure you are correct on the quantize in double tempo programming. I actually thought you had to cut the quantize in half. For instance, if you program regular time in 1/16 and want to double tempo the same stuff it should be 1/8 or essentially cut in half. Perhaps i am wrong on that. I definitely am not going for the same sound as the dude in your videos though so by all means if it works for you rock it.
By CHOPFYT Fri May 24, 2013 10:44 pm
Yo golden surely halfing the tc can only possibly slow the rhythm down thus give less option whatever the master tempo if your using double speed then you either want the tc to match the speed of the tempo or be faster.
Playing at just 1/8 at all tempos only allows you to put drums at 8 points per bar limiting your options and rendering a double tempo completely pointless?...i dunno man you seem to have a very narrow idea of what beats should sound like... :?
By phx_chronic Sat May 25, 2013 2:12 am
Golden_Era wrote:To the last poster,

I am not sure you are correct on the quantize in double tempo programming. I actually thought you had to cut the quantize in half. For instance, if you program regular time in 1/16 and want to double tempo the same stuff it should be 1/8 or essentially cut in half. Perhaps i am wrong on that. I definitely am not going for the same sound as the dude in your videos though so by all means if it works for you rock it.

Naw man. You're wrong and you seem to not really understand what dude is talking about. If you have a 70bpm beat with your tempo at 140, an 1/8 note note repeat setting on your mpc will sound like 1/16th's. It really just takes a minute of trying it to get it. ... Or just think about it. If you have two beats, exactly the same, except one was made in normal time and one made in doubletempo (again, they sound THE SAME) and hit note repeat 1/8 notes, the one with twice the bpm is going to be twice as fast (aka 1/16 notes) right?

Also, it really doesn't have much to do with the style you're with imo. There are tons of sample based boom bap, or whatever, producers that use that technique too.

Excellent post by nod tho, exactly what i would've TRIED to articulate... :lol: :smoker:
By Golden_Era Sat May 25, 2013 2:54 am
I could be wrong but i thought using double tempo programming meant the quantization would be split in half. So if you used 1/16 in regular time then at double time you would use 1/8 not 1/32? Perhaps im off there?

I am not at all concerned with machine gun like snares rolls and personally think the youtube beats in those videos are awful. Not into the dirty south stuff atAnd have nonidea who lex luther or luger is i am strictly east coast boom bap with crunchy drums here.

All i know is if im programming in dbl tempo and i want head noddin boom bap im not quantizing at 1/32 or 1/32t which seems to be implied by some here.
By nod records Sat May 25, 2013 5:15 am
you are correct and that is what i was talking about in my post.

if you are doing boom bap beats and want that nice bounce, working in double time gives you more ppq (more spaces in between each note)

so, if you normally quantize a beat at say 90bpm on 1/16, then on a beat at 180bpm (double the 90bpm) quantizing on 1/8 would give you the feel of the 1/16 quantize at 90bpm

also, when adding in ghost notes or doubling up on a kick drum, try turning the quantize off and 16 level velocity on the sound you're working with to do that. there are more spaces in between each note, meaning you get more of a human or loose feel when adding in extra notes with the double time tempo.

experiment with it, with practice you'll get it going. it def does make a difference when programming your drums.

hope that helps! each one teach one.