Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD Mon May 13, 2013 1:44 pm
Maybe it`s me,but I foolishly put a few sequences together employing the double bpm approach.Worse advice I ever heeded.I wound up having to turn quantize off to get hits to land on time.Just wound up working twice as hard.Took the whole joy away and forced me to abandon the full potential of the track.The only way to fix it is to halve the bpm and then repitch the samples to fit the bpm.At this point....PHUK IT.LOL

end rant again maybe it something I did wrong
By MPC-Tutor Mon May 13, 2013 1:49 pm
S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD wrote:again maybe it something I did wrong

For me, double BPM is there to double the sequencer resolution so I can get a more realistic, less rigid performance. So I'd say the problem for you was using quantise in the first place.

Just turn it off and play and manually edit any duff notes.
By Coz Mon May 13, 2013 2:34 pm
What MPC are you using? There's definitely no need to double the tempo with the high resolution MPCs - 4K, 5K or Ren/Studio.
By Mike Boogie Mon May 13, 2013 3:44 pm
m56p87 wrote:You should ONLY use this trick if your gonna have quantization off, there's no point with it on. Then practice your live drumming.

Coz wrote:What MPC are you using? There's definitely no need to double the tempo with the high resolution MPCs - 4K, 5K or Ren/Studio.

LIES!!! Not only does "double-timing" double the resolution but also doubles the quantize values.

Turning the quantize off does not fix all of your issues.
By -niN Mon May 13, 2013 4:14 pm
Exactley that.. Of you usually have Ur TC Set to 1/16 .. One you Double the time Set TC to 1/8 ... So it's kinda the Same thing...
By m56p87 Mon May 13, 2013 4:31 pm
Mike Boogie wrote:
m56p87 wrote:You should ONLY use this trick if your gonna have quantization off, there's no point with it on. Then practice your live drumming.

Coz wrote:What MPC are you using? There's definitely no need to double the tempo with the high resolution MPCs - 4K, 5K or Ren/Studio.

LIES!!! Not only does "double-timing" double the resolution but also doubles the quantize values.

Turning the quantize off does not fix all of your issues.

Yeah but if you double the resolution at 1/16th your getting 1/32, which you could just select anyways. DURRRRR
By m56p87 Mon May 13, 2013 5:47 pm
Mike Boogie wrote:Maybe one CAN enjoy a 1/128 quantize... :smoker:

Considering most of the machines that you'd want to employ the double speed trick on dont have a 1/64th Q option. I doubt it...
By Golden_Era Sat May 18, 2013 11:54 am
To the original poster i wouldnt listen to these guys who say the only need for this is if you shut quantize off. Ive been using this method on and off for 15 yrs on the asr-10.

Just to double check you turned the tsig to 8/4 right? Also my advice is program very slow. Set the tempo to like 110 which is 55 in regular time. If you are asking why well i find less room for errors and tighter hits when you program slow. And remember if you are a 1/16 quantize guy that needs to be changed to 1/8 quantize in dbl time. I like boom bap with ghost kicks so i quantize at 1/8T most of the time and at very slow tempos.

Also assuming you are doing some regular boom bap stuff this method makes programming has so simple. Place a hat on every metronome hit. Try snares on 3 and 7. Theres you basic drum pattern done. Hit me with any questions or if u need i can make a video for you.
By Lampdog Sat May 18, 2013 12:39 pm
Best advice so far.

I've done this on my ASR10 and 2kxl before. It works exactly as described.
No fluff, no extra commentary, no opinion, it just works.
By reeloy Sat May 18, 2013 1:45 pm
...specially in times where we got so much styles like dubstep out there, where erverything depends so much on the half time overall feel and the inner syncopic or triplet high speed, you better try again to double up the grid resolution....
and of course you need to get used to it at least a few days...
By m56p87 Sat May 18, 2013 3:36 pm
Golden_Era wrote:To the original poster i wouldnt listen to these guys who say the only need for this is if you shut quantize off.

Please explain how'd you benefit from doubling the sequencers resolution while still limiting yourself to only a fraction of it....
By Lampdog Sat May 18, 2013 4:56 pm
Lemme rephrase

There's no benefit is you got from 90bpm 1/32 to 180bpm 1/16.
You still get the same number of recordable ticks.

I was specifically talking about the slowing down of the sequence to allow more precise pad bangs.

I've tried both though before..

1. Completely no tc at double reso, slowing down the tempo to record more precise pad bangs (also use step edit to nudge notes into place sometimes).

2. Half and half, no tc on some recorded parts while using double reso and tc on other recorded parts while using double reso (also use step edit to nudge notes into place sometimes).

There are no rules, choose whichever you feel like doing that day.

Most experiment for several different reasons and some might see benefit while others don't.
By Golden_Era Sat May 18, 2013 5:02 pm
Pardon my ignorance but I don't understand the question MS56. I simply don't overcomplicate this stuff.

The original poster seems to be having programming issues so why is it solid advice to have him to with Quantize off? I personally don't need quantize because I've been doing this boombap stuff since 95' or so. I can crank out boom bap patterns like crazy just from sheer repetition. I can even tell when 90's tracks have quantize on and different velocity levels through yrs. and yrs. of listening to it.

I think its much easier for this poster to simply lay a hat on each metronome sound then lay the kick on the 1, snares on 3 and 7. Then add kicks or whatever else after.

I would venture to guess he is using the double tempo and programming at 185 and up which is super fast and it's causing issues.

Again, no right or wrong way to program..heck Jzone doesn't even play pads at all he steps sequences almost 100% in the MPC2000.. but I know several 90's boom bap producers use the double tempo technique and I know I can get that boom bap buh bump sound if you will out of my patterns very efficiently using it.

But everyone has their methods the main difference between dope 90s stuff and most amateur bedroom producers IMHO is they use better samples that make sense musically. I see a lot of dudes on YouTube just chopping stuff to pieces and playing 16 pads but musically it doesn't come together for me. Everyone is now obsessed about late hats and different volume for hi hats but Primo, Showbiz and Pete Rock hardly ever did that. But I digress.

If the original poster can provide insight on how he is going about starting a track with the Double Tempo I can help him.

PS: Good post Lampdog, I agree btw.