Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By MrDismal Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:14 am
Yo!
I've never done this technique before, and only using it after discovering that certain frequencies wouldn't be audible through my small 5" monitors, but sound dope in headphones, anyway..

I have a bass note I sampled in, and layered it with another bass note in the same key, except it's an octave up.
Sounds a ton better on both monitors and headphones since I have the lower octave with low freq's and the higher octave (a completely different bass sample) with a more natural bass guitar for those frequencies.

Is there anything wrong with doing this? I mean using 2 samples but different octaves?
Sonically it sounds fine, at least on my KRK's and headphones, and I can't hear any frequency wobbles.

I've layered bass before but it's always been in the same octave.

Before you say, "well if it sounds good then why you asking?" I just wanted to see if anyone else does this? I've never heard of anyone do this before, and I've read a lot of audio crap online over the years.
By Lampdog Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:17 am
Your headphones may have a better freq range than your monitors, that may be why it sounds better and your able to hear those freqs. Look up the specs on your headphones AND your monitors, I bet you there is a diff in freq range.

There is nothing wrong with layering multiple basses. I'd stay super aware of muddiness, volume and phasing though, but, some people are LOOKING for that type of thing, so, whatever YOU want is what YOU want, do it!

I have a sub in my setup because I wanted to hear ALL that I was creating.
By MrDismal Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:36 am
Yeah I can definitely tell there's a difference in frequency range between my cans and monitors, I was aware of that when buying them, since they're only 5" cones.
And no phasing that I can tell, I've listened pretty closely. I did the classic walk around the room too.

Layering basses I've done plenty before, it was mainly a question with different octaves I was concerned with.
By richie Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:38 am
I've done this for years when I've built patches on different DAW and samplers. Make sure the sub tones you are using are in tune otherwise they will start to sound like shit.

Also, you're going to have to get used to using a good carving EQ, I'd suggest Fab Filter Pro Q 2 series. You're going to have to completely carve out the frequency range in the higher note so that there is no overlap with the sub.
By peterpiper Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:12 pm
Yes I've done it but to be honest it was only when I create the basssound myself (synth) or when I had a sampled bassline that need more sub (I added the octave below to the sampled bassline.
You can also choose 2 octaves or add odd notes. try the 5th. But then mix that sample REALLLLY low so you can barely hear it. And/Or create a differnt amp envelope for the higher octaved sample (faster release than the sub for example).
Experiment! And have fun.

peace