Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Cockdiesel Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:21 am
So on the road to really get mixing down I decided to check out a hardware eq, only experience with eq’s is the stock ones on mpcs, Roland 404 series, cheap mixer or 4 track eq’s and the ableton plugins. They can sure shape a sound but seem to be on a differnt plane than the warm audio I’ve had for a few weeks.

I really can’t say enough good things about this piece but it really clicked with me. I’m working on a track with some accapella on it. My drums were muddy and distorted as usual, but I was able to dial in some of the best sounding drums so quick on this thing.

If you’re in the market for a hardware eq definitely give this thing a thought or two.

Wish it had a knob for the boost frequency for the low end but I didn’t need it too much as I needed to really cut the shit out of my bass and boost the highs a bit too. Just would be cool to have more options when times call for it.

Super impressed with this device. So simple and so dope sounding.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:30 am
Cockdiesel wrote:So on the road to really get mixing down I decided to check out a hardware eq, only experience with eq’s is the stock ones on mpcs, Roland 404 series, cheap mixer or 4 track eq’s and the ableton plugins. They can sure shape a sound but seem to be on a differnt plane than the warm audio I’ve had for a few weeks.

I really can’t say enough good things about this piece but it really clicked with me. I’m working on a track with some accapella on it. My drums were muddy and distorted as usual, but I was able to dial in some of the best sounding drums so quick on this thing.

If you’re in the market for a hardware eq definitely give this thing a thought or two.

Wish it had a knob for the boost frequency for the low end but I didn’t need it too much as I needed to really cut the **** out of my bass and boost the highs a bit too. Just would be cool to have more options when times call for it.

Did you purchase two as a stereo pair?
By Cockdiesel Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:44 am
No, I set my levels on the mpc and run it mono out to the eq into 1176. On that track I had the 1176 bypassed and it was all it needed. Made me post that it was mind blowing how much it made a difference. I have a hard time getting things to sound right, and like I said it just clicked. Its just a simple verse or two, about a minute long all together but I wanted to challenge myself, so far these are the best sounding drums I’ve made. (Isn’t saying much) now I prolly will spend some time getting the other elements to match, not sure how I can get the youtube rip of the verse sounding as good but whatever. I’ll post it some time this week when I feel it’s more complete. I lack a lot of the essentials, a nice listening space, and mediocre headphones, but I want to really focus on getting this simple piece 100 to my ears. Tonight was impressive for me.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:56 am
Cockdiesel wrote:No, I set my levels on the mpc and run it mono out to the eq into 1176. On that track I had the 1176 bypassed and it was all it needed. Made me post that it was mind blowing how much it made a difference. I have a hard time getting things to sound right, and like I said it just clicked. Its just a simple verse or two, about a minute long all together but I wanted to challenge myself, so far these are the best sounding drums I’ve made. (Isn’t saying much) now I prolly will spend some time getting the other elements to match, not sure how I can get the youtube rip of the verse sounding as good but whatever. I’ll post it some time this week when I feel it’s more complete. I lack a lot of the essentials, a nice listening space, and mediocre headphones, but I want to really focus on getting this simple piece 100 to my ears. Tonight was impressive for me.

That's what it takes, know what your limits are, then slowly grind and push through them. We all suck and once we stop feeling like that, that's when we stop improving. Post the audio when you feel comfortable.

Also I started this AES thread where I'm just posting new gear being announced. So pretty good stuff coming out.
Link: https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=186947
By CharlesRandolph Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:45 pm
Lampdog wrote:Secret to my drums is......

Layering, filter each individually, volume/gain individually.

Mandown PT2 (90.00 BPM) - MAIN OUT.wav

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vyd4pu28fhwo ... T.wav?dl=0

How soon do incorporate compression or eq? For the example you posted, do you roll off the high on those high hats or just push them down into the total mix? The kick sounds has a similar feel to that Fela Kuti..Mos Def: Fear Not of Man kick drum. :nod:
By Cockdiesel Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:51 am
Nice sounding drums especially the kick.

I actually do similar with the cross over I have. Cross over into mixer set the levels and resample back.

I was going on about processing drums with an asdr per step which can achieve the same sort of layering but can be tailored to taste and more of a batch processing type deal vs just sampling and layering static samples either into multi-pads or resampling them back together.

The track i mentioned above was just messing around, arough sketch, but even for how simple it is I really liked the flavor. It’s just a chopped break, a Rhodes keygroup, Masada’s guitar keygroup and a French Montana verse. I originally just wanted to catch a few words he said as a sample, but the verse and everything had a cool sound.

The iPhone mic and random start point don’t do this justice but I’ll post the track when I get it finished.
By Lampdog Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:30 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:How soon do incorporate compression or eq? For the example you posted, do you roll off the high on those high hats or just push them down into the total mix? The kick sounds has a similar feel to that Fela Kuti..Mos Def: Fear Not of Man kick drum. :nod:

All the drums are sampled from Triton Extreme, placed into and chopped up in Beatmaker 3. I used BM3 filters and ahdsr envelope on each sample individually, high pass on highs and low pass on kicks and of course sweeping the filters in order to let exactly the freq I want pass, it clears any mud from individual samples. This also lets your amp focus on reproducing your actual sound and not work hard reproducing inaudible freqs. This is something I learned a long time ago when learning Sony Sound Fogre.

No eq, no compression, no mixdown yet.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:37 pm
Lampdog wrote:All the drums are sampled from Triton Extreme, placed into and chopped up in Beatmaker 3. I used BM3 filters and ahdsr envelope on each sample individually, high pass on highs and low pass on kicks and of course sweeping the filters in order to let exactly the freq I want pass, it clears any mud from individual samples. This also lets your amp focus on reproducing your actual sound and not work hard reproducing inaudible freqs. This is something I learned a long time ago when learning Sony Sound Fogre.

No eq, no compression, no mixdown yet.

You're the fourth person this week, first online, that mentioned Beat Maker 3 filters to me. :nod: Have you ever tried using a multi band compressor as opposed to the filters? That is a nice technique, never used it on drums. I sometime do it on pop vocals, because tend to want more presence.
By Lampdog Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:43 pm
Nope, I’m perfectly content with BM3 tools.

BM3 is deep. It shouldn’t be slept on.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:29 pm
Lampdog wrote:Nope, I’m perfectly content with BM3 tools.

Are you using it with iPad Pro?
By terry towelling Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 pm
the mighty pultec eq. yep, it's on another plane.

you know when you drop some psychedelics and an hour or so later you say to yourself...oh yeah, i can feel it, i'm up now. then 30 minutes later you blast off into another dimension and laugh at yourself for thinking you were high before.
well, that's what using the pultec is like. you sample some drums and you think they sound pretty damn sweet. then you apply the pultec...the difference is profound. the pultec is also beautiful on high hats.
i built the gyraf pultec clone a few years ago -- http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/pultec/pultec.htm

i also made the calrec eq that gyraf cloned.... http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/calreq/calrec.htm
it's also amazing.

Cockdiesel wrote:So on the road to really get mixing down I decided to check out a hardware eq, only experience with eq’s is the stock ones on mpcs, Roland 404 series, cheap mixer or 4 track eq’s and the ableton plugins. They can sure shape a sound but seem to be on a differnt plane than the warm audio I’ve had for a few weeks.

Wish it had a knob for the boost frequency for the low end but I didn’t need it too much as I needed to really cut the **** out of my bass and boost the highs a bit too. Just would be cool to have more options when times call for it.

By Lampdog Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:22 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Lampdog wrote:Nope, I’m perfectly content with BM3 tools.

Are you using it with iPad Pro?

Yes, in my signature.