Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Cases Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:50 pm
This is what I love to do lately, creating a library full of drum kits made from scratch, while you learn.
Results are getting better over time, on headphones though so there might be ultra bass :P.

I mean, it's great to have filters that can transform anything to anything This is what I made from a 500ms metronome bleep sample, except for the ranting rage quit youtube I sampled.: Rest is all made from that single metronome bleep, plenty of free baas!:

å
My first full kit costed me about 60 hours. But now I make several per day, **** love it.
By Cases Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 pm
You can make that by just using the high-pass filters. How I make them is I take a bass note, like 1second (any sample would work basically.) , I then loop that. Then I resample it while I quickly pitch the beginning of the sample. When you cut the sample off at the bending zone you have you kick drum already, now filter that till you satisfied. The snare is made of a very short one shot with closed envelope and a lot of resonance, the beginning is a very tiny piece of noise. It's eventually done by mixing 100, 200 samples that you make with that one. I trained my ears by doing so.
By tapedeck Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:55 pm
Cases wrote:You can make that by just using the high-pass filters. How I make them is I take a bass note, like 1second (any sample would work basically.) , I then loop that. Then I resample it while I quickly pitch the beginning of the sample. When you cut the sample off at the bending zone you have you kick drum already, now filter that till you satisfied. The snare is made of a very short one shot with closed envelope and a lot of resonance, the beginning is a very tiny piece of noise. It's eventually done by mixing 100, 200 samples that you make with that one. I trained my ears by doing so.

yea the bassdrum i have done before on many pieces with no problem, but the snare was what i was curious about. how did you get the noise from the metronome beep?
By Cases Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:01 pm
Well noise is pretty easy. Normilize sample, put shitload of reverb on it, put all volumes up and just let it go through 1 filter. You understand that after some days you have 500 to 1000 sounds right? I didn't even have to make the noise sample, it just was there in any other sample I made for other purposes and I cut it off from that.

Hihat is the most easy. The snare, you really have to think like a explosion drawing if you asked me, really cut it in pieces when you really listen to a snare, what sections does it got and what do I want to hear.

By listning (and looking at the wave forms and spectrum) I came to this, starts off with high to low pitch noisy section, where the stick hits the drum. Then after that you can paste a tom sound since the a snare drum is just a tom with snares isn't it? You can make a tom with resonance, easily. After the tom is a tail NO SHIT, the snares, you can use anything for that obviously, noise, reverb a milisecond of high pitched sound, it doesnt really matter, just fvck around and use what you liked.
By tapedeck Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:12 pm
cool man thanks for explaining the process. i was hung up on the metronome beep being your only sound source and your idea of adding reverb to get the noise makes a lot of sense. reverb tails are basically noise so i get it.
thanks again