Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:48 pm
Fanu wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:The perceived loudness depends on sound pressure level and the frequency spectrum, among other things. It's all psycho acoustics. I forget how many db it takes for us, to perceive an increase, but it's somewhere between 7db and 10db.

I don't want to offend you, but if it takes you 7 dB or more till you hear an increase, you have a problem.
Just insert a gain plugin on a track and give it, say, 2 dB increase and flick it on and off…you will hear it.
It's like, UAD Pultec plugin adds 1 dB of gain when you turn it on (as does the hardware)…many users thought it adds "some magic" and then someone pointed out it was 1 dB gain. Point? People were hearing that 1 dB gain increase.

If you can hear a 1 dB change, you must have the ears of a GOD. Also every PHD Psychoacoustic expert should rip up their degrees, burn all their books, and get a job at their nearest Blockbuster video. :lol:
By Fanu Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:53 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:If you can hear a 1 dB change, you must have the ears of a GOD. Also every PHD Psychoacoustic expert should rip up their degrees, burn all their books, and get a job at their nearest Blockbuster video. :lol:

I'm an audio engineer, and hearing small things and getting things right pays my bills; often a 1 dB nudge on midrange, for example, can make a noticeable difference when it comes to fine tweaks.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:07 pm
Fanu wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:If you can hear a 1 dB change, you must have the ears of a GOD. Also every PHD Psychoacoustic expert should rip up their degrees, burn all their books, and get a job at their nearest Blockbuster video. :lol:

I'm an audio engineer, and hearing small things and getting things right pays my bills; often a 1 dB nudge on midrange, for example, can make a noticeable difference when it comes to fine tweaks.

You cannot hear a 1 db nudge, its your eyes playing tricks on you. :Sigh: We call that mixing with your eye and not with your ears.
By Fanu Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:08 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:You cannot hear a 1 db nudge, its your eyes playing tricks on you. :Sigh: We call that mixing with your eye and not with your ears.

I'm fine with leaving this conversation here. Have a nice day man.
Bymember04959388 Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:11 pm
@ CharlesRandolph

I can clearly hear a 1db volume change.
Some people even say they can hear a .5db change but I am not sure I can hear it.
That's somehow standard, everyone can hear a 1db change of volume.
Its a different story with frequencies.
As you grow old, a sort of LP filter happens on your brain. 16khz is just out of touch for me now, to my brain it means silence but still my Analyzer tells me it is there.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:15 pm
Frisbi wrote:@ CharlesRandolph

Some people even say they can hear a .5db change but I am not sure I can hear it.
As you grow old, a sort of LP filter happens on your brain. 16khz is just out of touch for me now, to my brain it means silence but still my Analyzer tells me it is there.

So you go to a concert, and the group plays a song, 1 db lower than the last song and say to yourself. Hey, that song is 1 db lower than the last. :lol:

A middle C played at -3 db vs C to octaves lower played at -3db. Are in fact the same level. However based on the frequency the middle will Perceived to be louder. But we know it's not.
Bymember04959388 Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:44 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Frisbi wrote:@ CharlesRandolph

So you go to a concert, and the group plays a song, 1 db lower than the last song and say to yourself. Hey, that song is 1 db lower than the last. :lol:

A middle C played at -3 db vs C to octaves lower played at -3db. Are in fact the same level. However based on the frequency the middle will Perceived to be louder. But we know it's not.

Ah ah come on man, I was saying I can hear a 1db change when I am mixing.
Who talked about concerts?
In concerts, given the amount of sound pressure that comes out of 20 speakers, I cannot even hear an eq changing.
By Danoc Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:45 pm
l can hear 1db movement when l mix and here's why.
1. I mix in a quiet environment.
2. I mix ITB where there is no noise floor.
3. I mix in Headphones. Where the sound is close to my ears.
4. My ears have been doing this for years so they have been worked out basically.
5. Higher frequency sounds you van hear better in a 1db movement i.e. high hat.

That's way different than a concert where the speakers are bigger and taller than humans and over 20,000 fans screaming. A total difference. You're lucky if you can hear the song lol
By Fanu Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:56 pm
Same here…
Genelec 8350s in a treated room with calibration.
Audeze LCD-X headphones.
Doing it every single day and got used to hearing and tweaking small things (if you're not into small things, you shouldn't be an engineer).