Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Big Monk Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9LhFN3H20M

As I'm feeling out how to do some basic techniques, I am also going back and listening to some of my favorite stuff and trying to get a handle on how things are done.

In the song above, the bassline seems to follow this pattern (i'm not capturing it exactly below but just trying to illustrate a pattern):

hit - hit - hit - hit - hit -hold

Assuming it's all the same bass sample, is it just a matter of programming the hold (for lack of a better technical term on my part) part as an actual Hold on the pads and the hit portion as 1 Shots?
By Big Monk Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:40 pm
peterpiper wrote:To me it seems that its just the bass from the original (Fela Kuti - Water no get enemy)
at 7:00

peace

Yes! I should have checked the source first. Obviously slowing that sampled portion down and filtering a bit nails the record.

Much appreciated.
By saltmcgault Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:15 pm
That is part of the sample. But you could do the same thing with a bass note, If the bass note sample was 2 seconds long you could switch the pad example 'A04" from "note on" to "1shot" I believe and you could do the same thing.
By Big Monk Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:33 pm
saltmcgault wrote:That is part of the sample. But you could do the same thing with a bass note, If the bass note sample was 2 seconds long you could switch the pad example 'A04" from "note on" to "1shot" I believe and you could do the same thing.

That’s where my brain went initially. Edit the note to knock hard on HOLD for the bumps then 1 Note on a separate pad for the sustained bass note.

I didn’t look up the song sample first which is something I’ve tried to doing as I get going so I’m not asking a million questions.
By peterpiper Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:36 pm
I got mad respect for the people with the SP1200 playing a bassline with a singlenote basssample cause there is no NOTEON function. A sample will always play to the end so to make it shorter it needs the workaround to cut the sample with a 'silence'-pad thats routed to the same output as the bassample.
BTW whe it comes to basslines played with a single sample I really like sunraw. He comes up with some ill basslines with really short notes and nice 'melodic' flavour.
AFAIK he use a MPC60 for most of his stuff
https://soundcloud.com/sunraw/tracks
peace
By CharlesRandolph Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:21 pm
You can hear that S.RAW listened to lots of Pete Rock. Sparse Drums. Filter high pass sample. and dominate stab bass line. If he keeps going, I'm sure he'll find his own style. From what I've heard on this page, it sounds like he not taking enough risk.

Would really love to hear, how he would incorporated his Traditional Swedish music.