Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By jdav Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:58 am
IS THERE, OR CAN THERE BE A PLACE FOR LIKE-MINDED/ LIKE-GEARED INDIVIDUALS TO SHARE/ GIVE AWAY OUR UNUSED, QUALITY .PGM FILES+.WAV FILES.

I'M CERTAIN THAT ONE COULD LEARN A LOT FROM ANOTHER'S PAD/SAMPLE SETUPS.

IT'S ALSO A GOOD WAY TO RID YOURSELF OF STALE PROJECTS WHILE INJECTING LIFE INTO SOME ONE ELSE'S CREATIVE ROAD-BLOCKS.

IS THIS ALREADY HAPPENING SOMEWHERE AND CAN I BE A PART OF IT? A STICKY THREAD, PERHAPS?
By DokBrown Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:04 pm
if i still had my 1000, i would be game . . . . . suprised no 1 jumped on this.
By DokBrown Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:22 pm
NearTao wrote:I am sure somebody could organize this as an effort and discuss it... but MPC Tutor has to be careful about hosting links to content that is copyrighted or questionable... so there is a layer of complication about doing this in a public forum.

i respect IP but this copyright BS can be ridiculous at times.
With all the people we know who’ve gotten jerked as ghost writers / ghost producers, I find it ironic that the industry is so committed to protecting some record some1 made over a decade ago

I believe the original artist should be credited/recognized/paid.
I also don’t believe in jacking drums/samples from other producers.
The fact that this BS messes up current artists just trying to express themselves.

I really wonder Y the industry won’t stand up for today’s generation of artists . . . . . . hip hop was crackin’ in the 90s when no1 noticed US & you could drop something without worrying about a lawsuit.
By NearTao Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:43 pm
copyright and ip cuts both ways...

The 90s being the heyday though for cowboy sampling... some truth to it... bit a lot of assumptions too. For every ‘and he got away with it story’ there is at least one, but probably ten ‘he had to pony up’ stories.

No matter what though... the truth is that the people who control the music have all the power, and this has been true for many decades.

The industry is, as always standing up for the new generation of artists... only it is just the ones that they want to back.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:03 am
DokBrown wrote:i respect IP but this copyright BS can be ridiculous at times.
With all the people we know who’ve gotten jerked as ghost writers / ghost producers, I find it ironic that the industry is so committed to protecting some record some1 made over a decade ago

I believe the original artist should be credited/recognized/paid.
I also don’t believe in jacking drums/samples from other producers.
The fact that this BS messes up current artists just trying to express themselves.

I really wonder Y the industry won’t stand up for today’s generation of artists . . . . . . hip hop was crackin’ in the 90s when no1 noticed US & you could drop something without worrying about a lawsuit.

Producers have always taking drums and sample from other producers. We've also always traded sounds with each other way before sample set were popular. Lots of tracking and mix engineer used to and still do, take drum from session.

Then use them in other session when they needed to replace drums or the client want that certain bands drum sound. Many of the producer I know and work with, still leave an open kick or snare just so people can chop it. The thing is to find it, you actually have to listen to the song because it could be anywhere.

In the 80/90 they noticed, but they weren't going after people who pressed up 2000 copies. There was much more money in the industry and it wasn't worth the cost of lawsuit. However, now the money is not the same and digital detection has made it easy identify samples.

The truth is the industry has never stood up for the artist, new or old. Entertainment is a shark industry, so if you're not a shark, bigger fish, or smart/savvy enough to navigate the waters. You're going to get gobbled up, spit out, and left for dead. The business only loves you, when you make money. :smoker: