Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By dodger Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:36 am
Hi guys

So there is probably a very obvious answer to this but here goes anyway

I make a lot of dub reggae and experimental down tempo stuff and run a pretty much all analogue set up

Im looking at getting an MPC1000 just for a bit of new kit and was wondering if its possible to run it through a tape machine and back in to the desk in order to get a decent tape delay style effect or if it has a decent delay built in or if its easy enough to hook it up to a tape delay style guitar pedal

thanks in advance and sorry for being an idiot
By Lampdog Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:12 pm
You can route 1k main outs dual mono 1/4 line level wherever you want.
1k has decent effects but outboard gear is usually more specialized and better quality.
1k doesn't have a return channel.
You'd have to look in the manual to see what effects are in the machine.
By NearTao Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:39 pm
You'll want to decide if you want to spend a lot of money up front to emulate tape such as Strymon pedals or chase bliss pedals, or if you're looking to spend more over time on maintaining an older tape machine and buying new tapes.

There is a world out there of things to learn and mess around with though!
By phasebash Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:02 am
Instead of running mixes through tape, or other color effects (filters, modular, whatever) I’ll play my samples through those effects in a few variations, sample those back in, then chop those.

A few reasons. I prefer not to rely on external patching to reproduce a sound, also the pre-taped samples can be mixed and matched. You might find for example the hats to be too sizzly with one take, and swap those cuts for another.

Taking a stereo mix back into the sampler is a good way to do it. I use my interface as a patchbay and have RME TotalMix route things around, but you could do this with sends, returns, 2 track mixes, and busses as well
By DokBrown Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:34 pm
The MPC 1K is a great entry-level tool.
The internal FX are NOT a strong point. I rec the new MPCs or an old roland MV for internal FX. The roland MV’s tape delay fx impressed me but I have never had the real thing.

If u just want a hardware sampler to hit the road with, the 1k should suffice. Run the samples out the alternate outs & then bring it back in as a resample.

The basic MV is missing multiple outs & very large. There are ways around this but it can be a headache. The new MPCs do just about everything good, if you get 1 for $500-700 you will not regret it.

I don’t do much with software/DAWs, so no input there.
I imagine the hardware interface is the major factor.