Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By JAYCEE3K Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:22 am
But I'm having trouble figuring out why. I'm trying to be honest about how I feel, but it's hard for me to be decisive about which mix to use without knowing if my reasoning is objective enough or just purely emotional.

I can't tell if it's because of fatigue, or because I like how the overall tones sound in one pitch over the other. I get the feeling sometimes it could just be the effect of novelty appealing to my senses after spending hours mixing in one pitch that I just eventually got used to. Or maybe it's because my original mix somehow became a tad more balanced when pitched down? Or something more technical like that.

Anyone else have trouble with this? How you deal with it?
By NearTao Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:15 am
This is as objective as it is subjective. I think there are a few fun experiments to try.

How far down can you pitch it before you think it sounds bad?

How do you like it when you change the tempo?

Sample the new track versions you like and make a new track and see what you prefer.
By peterpiper Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:47 pm
I know that feeling. I sometimes render the beat, load it in again and play it at different pitches (which include tempochange since no timestrech is happening). Sometimes I like the beat at lower or higher pitch/tempo more (+/- 2 or 3 semitones). The beat gets a different vibe that I feel more than the beat on it's original pitch

peace
By JAYCEE3K Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:10 pm
NearTao wrote:This is as objective as it is subjective. I think there are a few fun experiments to try.

How far down can you pitch it before you think it sounds bad?

How do you like it when you change the tempo?

Sample the new track versions you like and make a new track and see what you prefer.

So far I’ve completely made my mind up that a faster tempo doesn’t add anything and actually doesn’t work with the way I patterned the drums. Besides the drums a whole step up actually does have an interesting feel and sound, except for the artifacts. Slower tempo is fine up to 2 whole steps and gives it an entirely different mood change, one that I’m slightly obsessed with at the moment. The mix loses some clarity and a tad bit of definition though. Right now I’ve decide to slow down one whole step and then time stretch pitch down the additional whole step to get that same feeling without such big reduction in tempo and I’m liking it. I think I might have to sleep on it and decide the next day.
By Lampdog Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:53 pm
I've done beats, recorded to cassette tape to experiment with this exact thing and it most times sounds good a lil slower than original.