Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Scrawny Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:14 am
I'm looking to expand my library of horn sounds because right now the only relatively clean ones I have are from a Bill Haley record and I had to sort of frankenstein all the other sounds out with EQ and chop a lot to make them usable.

So what do you look for in horn samples (vinyl)? What sort of records do you get? Have you had more success with one type of brass instrument over another?
By hellnegative Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:31 pm
Scrawny wrote:I'm looking to expand my library of horn sounds because right now the only relatively clean ones I have are from a Bill Haley record and I had to sort of frankenstein all the other sounds out with EQ and chop a lot to make them usable.

So what do you look for in horn samples (vinyl)? What sort of records do you get? Have you had more success with one type of brass instrument over another?

There are a lot of variables to take into account here. What type of horn samples are you looking for? On a broad view, the penny crates always have a ton of "..... in brass" records from the 70's. You can find a lot of great stabs in there.
By Scrawny Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:10 pm
hellnegative wrote:
Scrawny wrote:I'm looking to expand my library of horn sounds because right now the only relatively clean ones I have are from a Bill Haley record and I had to sort of frankenstein all the other sounds out with EQ and chop a lot to make them usable.

There are a lot of variables to take into account here. What type of horn samples are you looking for? On a broad view, the penny crates always have a ton of "..... in brass" records from the 70's. You can find a lot of great stabs in there.

Penny bins are all I look into. What sort of variables do you mean though? I'm thinking the Big L style horns to go with a nice bassline and some thick drums.
By Menco Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:54 pm
Usually solo albums from jazz sax players. Ben Webster, Sonny Rollins, Grover Washington. They have a solo on almost every track, so not a lot of other instruments besides drums and bass. A solo also contains a lot of different types of phrases.
By 6/8 Stanley Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:50 pm
You're asking about vinyl but I gotta say I love one of the solo muted trumpets on the MPC Horns from MPC Samples. Wasn't thrilled by the demo but there's one that sounds like the trumpet on one of my favorite OK Jazz tunes. All trimmed and laid out the pads so perfect for beginner user like me.
By hellnegative Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:33 pm
]

Penny bins are all I look into. What sort of variables do you mean though? I'm thinking the Big L style horns to go with a nice bassline and some thick drums.[/quote]

For those, look for artists like Dizzy Gilespie and Maynard Ferguson then go from there. I dont have my collection in front of me right now, but I can throw a few more suggestions out later.
By Scrawny Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:14 pm
hellnegative wrote:]

Penny bins are all I look into. What sort of variables do you mean though? I'm thinking the Big L style horns to go with a nice bassline and some thick drums.

For those, look for artists like Dizzy Gilespie and Maynard Ferguson then go from there. I dont have my collection in front of me right now, but I can throw a few more suggestions out later.[/quote]

Thanks, I'd really appreciate that!