Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By peterpiper Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:11 am
Since we live in times were AI and machine learning is more and more used (too much for stupid things like **** racist predictive crime stuff or other things to analyze and oppress people @clearview: suck my azz!) I thought about the things it could do in music production.
You probably heard about the things it can do in imaging like detect certain objects and 'erase' them by kind of copying the surroundings of the object or creating an image that looks like it was painted by a specific artist by analyzing the style of his paintings.
So it should be possible to analyze the style of a musician and creating for example a sax solo that sound like it was played by John Coltrane. Or recognize the instruments in a mix and 'erase' or soloing them.

Whats your opinion on that and have you heard about development on that?

peace

EDIT: someone witha twitter account should do a #clearviewsuckmyass and everybody should post a pic of his/her ****. ANALyze this mofos!
By Cockdiesel Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:29 am
True “A.I” is a long way out, for now it’s only as good as the programmer. Algos and machine learning will only get you so far but it will continue to get better as time goes by.

I see a lot of apps and vsts have started to work at this but imo it’s just cleaver programmers who are also musicians putting this stuff out. It’s cheap marketing gimmick at best. They shouldn’t use the term “A.I” which honestly would mean the computer has a mind of its own without input from programmers...

The cutting edge of this tech you can find in the stock markets, quants, and data analytics. We have so much data, the true art is organizing and making use of the data.

I took some online classes on data analytics a few years back and if I can program algos, honestly anyone can. I was able to get within 90 percent of the same accuracy visa and MasterCard get when determining credit decisions and future bankruptcy. Not bad for a construction worker...
By peterpiper Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:49 am
Sure the hype about 'AI' is often pure marketing. The term is used inflationary just like the term 'blockchain'. 'They' use the term blockchain where it doesn't make sense. (I wait for the toilet paper ad 'Now with AI'
But don't you think that it's possible to get something like instrument detection when feeding the system with enough data (songs) in form of mixes AND solotracks teaching it what is what. Analyzing frequency spectrums, envelopes etc.
AFAIK Flicker use object detection to tag photos.
peace
By Cockdiesel Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:01 am
You’d have to interpret the data points yourself and program it into your algo.

It can be easily done with what your talking about as most instruments lie within certain frequencies and the nuances can easily be picked up. Like a high guitar note being bent vs the same static note played on piano.

They already have some of what your talking about within mastering software. Some are honest about the analytics and not making claims to AI like the new tc software finalized, which look really dope to me. Others claim “AI” master master tracks which is dishonest marketing. Right now it’s just a battle of the programmers. Who best can analyze/ interpret the data, build a streamlined database and the algo that makes changes better. But at some point they will all be so close it doesn’t matter who you go with.
Last edited by Cockdiesel on Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:51 am
Isolation is easy, hire a horn player or use a quality horn sample set and play it. :lol: But it's not to far off, unfortunately they'll use to copy right strike more samples, like their doing now. Audio Forensics 2.0 :nod:
By peterpiper Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:47 am
oh and I forgot to mention that I want it free, open source and with a voice recognition. I want to say : 'computer, gimme that horn' :smoker:

peace