Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Yentz Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:18 pm
Hi,
I am new to the mpc and wonder what is the best way to make songs with it. I mainly want to produce breakbeat and jungle. Within the mpc i would like to do a basic arrangement and the bounce the single tracks record my hardware into live for mixing and some finetuning.
I know that scenes are intended to act as different parts of the song (chorus, bridge etc.)
Now the first thing I am wondering abiut is how to "arrange" the tracks within a scene.
As I tend to start building a beat quite simple, copy it and refine etc I usually have like 10 or 15 scenes in live that hold an advanced form of the beat of the scene within.
I would probably do all single drums in one track and have a couple of tracks more to hold breaks that are playing underneath. The breaks are progressing as well so I end up having a lot of different versions.
I think a new scene for every change is way too much. As I can have 128 tracks within a scene I was thinking to maybe unse the first 16 trackslots just for tracks on one program the next 16 slots for the next programm etc so I could habe 16 variations. Unfortunately are the tracks in the tracks mute window arranged different to the mixer window. Not sure if it is worth putti g in some dummy tracks so each program has its own 16 grid where just one instance is used. How are you doing this?
Also I thought if I program small variations into the tracks individually or if it is better to have a seperate sequence holding the variations and switching the the variation sequence ever 16 bars for 1/16 or how long the variation goes an back to the other sequence afterwards. It sounds a bit complicated but as I dont want the variations to be the same allthe time but chamging them .eans changing all tracks for each variation maybe this is a more easy way to go ahead?
So how are you doing small fills, rolls or stuff like all instruments mute 2/16 th before restart of zhe sequence and just a vocal playing? If it is programmed into the tracks I have to hear it on and on while working on the cycling sequence.
By NearTao Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:29 pm
I think you're confusing terms... I suspect when you say scene you mean sequence...

Once you've created sequences intro, bridge, break, verse, chorus, etc... you can then go into song mode and put them in any order and for how long you would like them to play.

Once you have your song created, you can then export it back out as a sequence that represents your full song. From here you can go add in your flourishes and tweaks to keep things fresh.

Hope that helps...