Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By YoungCapone Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:50 am
(Instrumental melodies, not vocal melodies)
A lot of people say that melody is dead, but I disagree…. I think what we emphasize in melody has just evolved... I feel like the timbre/design of the sound playing the melody makes a bigger impact on how a melody is perceived than the actual sequence of pitch and rhythm that makes up the melody. What do you guys think??? How important is the sequence of notes in a melody compared to the quality of sound used?
It also seems like melodies are used less as the focal point of songs, but used as less emphasized elements that add character to a song, especially in hip hop. Once the drums and bass come in, it’s sometimes hard to even hear the melodic elements of the instrumental.
I guess what I’m asking is what power does melody, regardless of timbre, play in music today (In your opinion)??
I'm asking, because I’m trying to gauge how much time I should put into understanding how to create melodies based on scales, chords etc… If it only has minimal importance I’d obviously rather spend my time on more important things.
By Lampdog Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:56 pm
Same role it has always played in any other year, decade, century..........
By Lampdog Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:24 pm
20x more important and 20x less important.
Do melodies play roles or do melodies role play?
Melody is a girl who loves to role play huh, she’s kinky I bet. :nod: