Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By maara Fri May 15, 2020 2:24 pm
Hey!

I have a noob question - in JJOS on my 25k, I have been able to enter the grid view, use the jog to get to whatever position in the sequence I wanted, hit over dub and use pads to enter events / notes / whatever even the sequence was not playing...
On my current mpc this seems to be not working - even if I ignore the fact that the jog wheel has a different function in the grid view and I use the event buttons to get to the location I want, enabling rec or rec dub and pressing a pad doesn't enter a new event or note.
Where am I missing the point? Is this good old behavior missing?

Thanks!
By NearTao Fri May 15, 2020 2:44 pm
JJOS spoiled some of us a bit for some features... but the environment that was created in is definitely different than the X/Live/One. If you're using the event buttons to get around have you tried using the step sequencer. Page 49 and 161 on the 2.8 user manual might have what you're looking for.
Last edited by NearTao on Fri May 15, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Crumb$ Fri May 15, 2020 2:45 pm
In grid view you can use the jog wheel. Just tap on the bars+beats first. Or, there is a dedicated q-link knob as well. I work in grid view a lot and if you have record/overdyb selected and hit a pad it should definitely enter an event.
By maara Fri May 15, 2020 3:39 pm
> I work in grid view a lot and if you have record/overdyb selected and hit a pad it should definitely enter an event.

This! It does not for some reason... I am ok with moving around with the event buttons but if I arm rec or overdub, they start blinking but pressing a pad doesn't enter an even (and this even doesn't even appear if I stop recording). Its really weird because I thought that this is a native functionality rather than something that has been introduced in JJOS...

>If you're using the event buttons to get around have you tried using the step sequencer. Page 49 and 161 on the 2.8 user manual might have what you're looking for.

Yeah I tried the step sequencer - its nice for editing but I am not sure if it works for me when creating new events as I'd like to see the context of other events.
By Crumb$ Fri May 15, 2020 4:00 pm
Sorry I misunderstood the issue. You're trying to enter notes with the pads with Record enabled but not Playing...?

My bad, no this doesn't happen.

EDIT; edited this then saw the below post.
Last edited by Crumb$ on Fri May 15, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By NearTao Fri May 15, 2020 4:09 pm
What OP is trying to do is play the pads while nothing is playing.

In JJOS there is a workflow where you can move your event cursor, and as long as overdub (or maybe it was rec) was on, but the sequence was not playing... you could still hit pads to enter the note and the velocity you hit it at the position of the event cursor.

The workflow on the new MPCs is to use the pencil to enter the note, and then you have to change the velocity data... or you go to step sequence mode and do it...

Either way works okay, but it isn't the workflow that the OP is used to.
By maara Fri May 15, 2020 4:11 pm
Crumb$ wrote:I have the Live so I don't have Event Buttons at all but you should be able to record your events when hitting pads in grid mode, as well as other modes. Unless I'm misunderstanding something here.

Are your pads set to Bank A? You aren't entering pads from another Bank? They could be too high up your grid for you to see them without scrolling up the screen...

Just a thought...

Yeah I am on A - I even see the pad trigger on the screen and I can record just fine if I am rec + play or overdub + play. What I am after is being able to enter the events while the playback is not running so I create a new event at the place where I manually moved the playhead to.
By ljeffay Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:55 pm
Almost a year late to this post and this isn't exactly what you are asking for, but it is still useful nonetheless.

You can enter a note at the playhead, you just have to :

1.put down an existing note anywhere
2. then cut it (hold down shift button and tap CUT at the bottom of touch screen in grid view)
3. then tap a pad corresponding to the note/row you want to put it in
4. scroll playhead where you want it
5. and finally press shift again and select paste.

This sounds clunky but its not too bad once you get the hang of it.
You can keep pressing paste as you scroll the playhead to put in a sequence of notes. Then you can use the transpose function to move each one into the right note.
By T-Monk Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:34 am
On the MPC One, I do something similar, but just hit the copy button. It duplicates a note immediately following the selected note. Then I use the nudge tool and jog wheel to place the midi note where I need it.
By HanHuman Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:19 am
maara wrote:Hey!

I have a noob question - in JJOS on my 25k, I have been able to enter the grid view, use the jog to get to whatever position in the sequence I wanted, hit over dub and use pads to enter events / notes / whatever even the sequence was not playing...
On my current mpc this seems to be not working - even if I ignore the fact that the jog wheel has a different function in the grid view and I use the event buttons to get to the location I want, enabling rec or rec dub and pressing a pad doesn't enter a new event or note.
Where am I missing the point? Is this good old behavior missing?

Thanks!

I was just looking for that exact fonction from JJOS on the Live. Sadly it doesn't seem to exist in grid view, but it is a thing in list edit view. Way less convenient than in JJOS but still useful for custom arpeggios, melodies and such. Just press REC or OVER DUB then input notes on list edit view and they'll lay out one after the other according to the time correct setting.

But yea AKAI should definitely add that feature to the grid view. I think it would be a simple but big improvement on the workflow, especially with TC, playhead etc being assigned to qlinks. Inputing notes would be crazy fast and precise that way.
By hyena Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:05 pm
i used this technique in jjos2xl a lot for fast, intricate breakbeat chops at fast tempos, the very cool thing about it is that it retains the velocity which enabled some cool crescendos and stuff. i sent a request a while ago, still hoping one day they will introduce the feature. list edit is cool but no way to quickly navigate the structure and\or to enter rests. tried it but no go for me, at this point i prefer to use pencil in grid edit.