Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By DJ Petesake Sat May 23, 2020 5:09 am
Hello everybody. I've been on this forum before, but this is just a new profile.
I made this video demonstrating how I've been using the Casio SK-1 to make very crunchy samples and also to compensate for the fact that the MPC60 sounds nothing like the SP1200 (I kind of beat this point to death). Hope you find it helpful.
By NearTao Sat May 23, 2020 2:23 pm
Just some thoughts on the video... take 'em or leave 'em
* The intro is kind of poor... You're building up the SP-1200 sound and then showing clips of things you don't know if it is a 1200 or not
* You reference the Nyquist theorem through frequency/aliasing... but I'm not sure you know what this is or not... but I'm pretty sure your understanding of it is wrong
* The bit depth (12-bit) is how loud or quiet any given sample can be, the bit rate (26.040khz frequency) is how often it captures samples
* While you are right, the MPC 60 sounds nothing like the SP-1200... it's not just the bit depth or bit rate at play here... the algorithms, AD->DA, etc... all contribute
* You are incorrect though... the MPC 60 does add frequencies that are not there from the initial sample, they may not be as pronounced for what you are doing, but they are there
* The sound you are getting with the SK-1 is not like the SP-1200 in any meaningful way...
* Really good tips on sampling into the SK-1...
* I don't think that the SK-1 is applying an HP filter per se... *maybe* but this is more likely an effect of the lower sampling rate

Here's my overall statement for you... solid techniques in general with the MPC 60 and SK-1. I suspect you're trying to 'recreate' an SP-1200 sound without really understanding the sound or technology, or having direct experience in the SP-1200. I compare this to my in-laws insistence on naming vegan dishes with things they are not. "Meatless Turkey Lasagna" makes me wonder what the heck is in there... instead of just calling it a "Tofu Lasagna". So your video goes off on a wild goose chase of SP-1200, with no actual SP-1200 techniques in sight... but it still has plenty of good MPC 60 and SK-1 advice. Why not just call it what it is "SK-1 and MPC 60 Sampling Workflow". For me it's a decent video... but 50% fluff.
By peterpiper Sat May 23, 2020 4:28 pm
NearTao wrote:Just some thoughts on the video... take 'em or leave 'em
* The intro is kind of poor... You're building up the SP-1200 sound and then showing clips of things you don't know if it is a 1200 or not
* You reference the Nyquist theorem through frequency/aliasing... but I'm not sure you know what this is or not... but I'm pretty sure your understanding of it is wrong
* The bit depth (12-bit) is how loud or quiet any given sample can be, the bit rate (26.040khz frequency) is how often it captures samples
* While you are right, the MPC 60 sounds nothing like the SP-1200... it's not just the bit depth or bit rate at play here... the algorithms, AD->DA, etc... all contribute
* You are incorrect though... the MPC 60 does add frequencies that are not there from the initial sample, they may not be as pronounced for what you are doing, but they are there
* The sound you are getting with the SK-1 is not like the SP-1200 in any meaningful way...
* Really good tips on sampling into the SK-1...
* I don't think that the SK-1 is applying an HP filter per se... *maybe* but this is more likely an effect of the lower sampling rate

Here's my overall statement for you... solid techniques in general with the MPC 60 and SK-1. I suspect you're trying to 'recreate' an SP-1200 sound without really understanding the sound or technology, or having direct experience in the SP-1200. I compare this to my in-laws insistence on naming vegan dishes with things they are not. "Meatless Turkey Lasagna" makes me wonder what the heck is in there... instead of just calling it a "Tofu Lasagna". So your video goes off on a wild goose chase of SP-1200, with no actual SP-1200 techniques in sight... but it still has plenty of good MPC 60 and SK-1 advice. Why not just call it what it is "SK-1 and MPC 60 Sampling Workflow". For me it's a decent video... but 50% fluff.

Why not call 26040Hz what it is? sample rate ;)