Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Cockdiesel Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:29 am
Levels bro- it’s pretty clear that you can program stuff but you should work on blending the sounds. Start with putting filters on the sounds and learning eq. I’m not the best with surgical eq but I find using filters really help me put each sound in its pocket. Use some common sense and just play with it. That bass line could use a low pass and some drive to make it pop, the synth sound s can be dialed back some with a filter and given ambiance with a subtle delay and reverb, etc.
what are you monitoring your beats with and do you have access to anything with knobs or buttons?
By Lampdog Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:34 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Start with putting filters on the sounds and learning eq. I’m not the best with surgical eq but I find using filters really help me put each sound in its pocket.
By Lampdog Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:38 am
Danoc wrote:Age old question how does one get their drums to sound great?

Layer, filter env, amp env, eq, vol,

Adjust attack where needed because usually all three don’t need to attack at the same time, it’s too hard, soften with amp env.

One drum might have great attack, no body. Let him attack and use other for body, etc.

It’s a balancing game..
By Danoc Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:31 am
Getting great drums start by PICKING GOOD QUALITY DRUMS. Experience in drumming and or programming. Blending comes when you when your gain stagung and mixing. This may take years to get. This is one of the things l get paid for. You definitely need high quality tools. When l asked the question l wasn't asking for me, but to continue this thread because l was asked.

The task is to keep the drums from clashing into one another in the stereo field. Panning is key. I hear some tracks and ever sound is up the middle. Definitely can't happen if you intend on putting vocals to it.

EQing is is essential in sculpting your drums properly. Filtering is a part of the process. Bell curving, cutting and boosting, knowing to roll off certain frequencies is an art of its own. The key is making sure you hear every sound in the track. If their are 10 sounds you should hear all 10 not 6. Some will tell you just use your ears. Yes but why use just your ears when you can use your ears and see what your doing.

I was told SOUND AND VISUAL EQUAL ACCEPTANCE.
Ones drums can sound great once you have the knowledge.

When l mix l use my Sennheiser 600 HD headphones. I monitor with the ATH MX50, car and major studio. Which sound great.

I am trying hard to get the video capture working on my main computer to show
What to do with drums. Synths etc will come later. Get those drums right the other instruments will be easier to from around the drums.

Cockdiesel wrote:Levels bro- it’s pretty clear that you can program stuff but you should work on blending the sounds. Start with putting filters on the sounds and learning eq. I’m not the best with surgical eq but I find using filters really help me put each sound in its pocket. Use some common sense and just play with it. That bass line could use a low pass and some drive to make it pop, the synth sound s can be dialed back some with a filter and given ambiance with a subtle delay and reverb, etc.
what are you monitoring your beats with and do you have access to anything with knobs or buttons?
By Levulz2it Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:28 am
alright..heres what I got for the new BB. I haven't done any EQ, just HPF and LPF so the samples don't clash and the kick and bass don't clash. is it too simple? I feel like it needs a little pa-ching lol I went with a different type of vibe this time.

By Levulz2it Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:33 am
any pointers to vids on what "its pocket" means? I mean.. I know what your saying. it makes sense in my head, but I don't know how to search for that. lol the "technical term" I mean.

im using some logitech gaming headphones ( not too shabby ones, theyre decent) or some junky PC speakers with a sub.

yes, i have a MPC 1000, a MPD218 and a keystation M61.

Cockdiesel wrote:Levels bro- it’s pretty clear that you can program stuff but you should work on blending the sounds. Start with putting filters on the sounds and learning eq. I’m not the best with surgical eq but I find using filters really help me put each sound in its pocket. Use some common sense and just play with it. That bass line could use a low pass and some drive to make it pop, the synth sound s can be dialed back some with a filter and given ambiance with a subtle delay and reverb, etc.
By Cockdiesel Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:37 am
Theres no way to learn except for actually listening and understanding this stuff for yourself. Hate to say it but invest in some reference headphones or speakers. I understand that it is spending money but its a must. you can start by just using the 1000 and applying filters to stuff. if youre using reason those synths have filters where you can get the tone just right.

so yea. everyone uses filters and eqs differntly, but i guess that you can do some due diligence on youtube. However like I said just use your ears, some common sense and just do it. Ask charles for an invite to our beat camping and load up a bunch of different samples of all timbres. apply filters to them and see the changes. Not sure about your funds but seriously invest some into monitors and some headphones. To take the hobby seriously you need to have both. I am currently retracking out my synths for a track im doing because on my monitors I couldnt hear this simulated noise on the juno chorus. I didn't catch it until I listened to my beat on headphones, and it took a bit to even figure out where it was coming from buried deep in the settings for "vintage mode".

It takes awhile but once it clicks, it really clicks in terms of filtering because of how much of a difference it can make. Get some decent reference headphones and just go to town with the mpc. What you learn will almost be universal. I know it seems "dickish" to just say learn how to do it by actually doing it, but it's not. Trust me I've been in your spot, and still there in many ways.
By Cockdiesel Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:50 am
Levulz2it wrote:alright..heres what I got for the new BB. I haven't done any EQ, just HPF and LPF so the samples don't clash and the kick and bass don't clash. is it too simple? I feel like it needs a little pa-ching lol I went with a different type of vibe this time.

seems like a good start to a mix. in my own unqualified view. I would start with that bass line and mix the track around that. add some filters and others effecgts to see how they can mesh. an example would be just have the bass playing with the vocals, see how the two play off eachother. maybe add a filter to one or both and some delay or reverb for ambiance. you can even switch it up. like high pass the shiit out of the vocal for 4 bars then the next 4 open it up . theres no real rules here and everyone finds their own secret suace by messing up a million times.
By Levulz2it Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:11 am
I think instead of just just making a 4bar im going to try and do the arranging on the mpc as well. Filtering, everything because what I make on there sounds way different than what my mixdown stems sound like in reason for some reason. Lol (no pun intended)
Plus I'm sure I can learn alot from just using the filters in os2xl instead of being bombarded with 12,000 buttons in reason. I was reading up on reasons mixer and it basically has a manual just in itself. Im still new to all that so its basically Chinese right now until I figure it out. As far as headphones any reccomendations? Sweetwater is having a sale this weekend so I was looking as grabbing a pair. The biggest thing is open or closed, I definitely want a replaceable cord and the range. I noticed quite a few don't go below 35hz which I think will let some things sneak by so I was looking for the 15hz+ headphones. Money isn't an issue but its still a hobby so not trying to drop 500 for headphones. Lol

Cockdiesel wrote:Theres no way to learn except for actually listening and understanding this stuff for yourself. Hate to say it but invest in some reference headphones or speakers. I understand that it is spending money but its a must. you can start by just using the 1000 and applying filters to stuff. if youre using reason those synths have filters where you can get the tone just right.

so yea. everyone uses filters and eqs differntly, but i guess that you can do some due diligence on youtube. However like I said just use your ears, some common sense and just do it. Ask charles for an invite to our beat camping and load up a bunch of different samples of all timbres. apply filters to them and see the changes. Not sure about your funds but seriously invest some into monitors and some headphones. To take the hobby seriously you need to have both. I am currently retracking out my synths for a track im doing because on my monitors I couldnt hear this simulated noise on the juno chorus. I didn't catch it until I listened to my beat on headphones, and it took a bit to even figure out where it was coming from buried deep in the settings for "vintage mode".

It takes awhile but once it clicks, it really clicks in terms of filtering because of how much of a difference it can make. Get some decent reference headphones and just go to town with the mpc. What you learn will almost be universal. I know it seems "dickish" to just say learn how to do it by actually doing it, but it's not. Trust me I've been in your spot, and still there in many ways.
By Levulz2it Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:17 am
Do you turn mastering filters on? I feel like it changed my entire mix when I did. Yeah I was thinking about changing the vocals, or honestly now that I replied to the other post, I think I'm going to copy that arrangement in the mpc. As my workflow is get a 4bar, then mute the sample, new track, new program, new sample, new 4bar, mute it, rinse and repeat. Then I get 1 seq, which if I unmute all tracks sounds like a Mashup but its super easy to mixdown and move to reason. I think I'm going to actually do this entire joint in the mpc and see what i can come up with. I like that idea about the vocal, I'm going to try that, might even use the slider to record it changed over the 4bar. Idk ill see lol

seems like a good start to a mix. in my own unqualified view. I would start with that bass line and mix the track around that. add some filters and others effecgts to see how they can mesh. an example would be just have the bass playing with the vocals, see how the two play off eachother. maybe add a filter to one or both and some delay or reverb for ambiance. you can even switch it up. like high pass the shiit out of the vocal for 4 bars then the next 4 open it up . theres no real rules here and everyone finds their own secret suace by messing up a million times.
By Danoc Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:09 am
Peace Lev and CD for continuing the convo, thank you.

Lev thanks for putting up the track.
As you said its not mixed so can't hold you for that. I noticed your main snare is panned. That shouldn't be. Sonically it's throwing the track off. If it was a secondary snare that has rapid playing then ok.

That snare shouldn't be that far panned. The technique of the snare , kick and bass should be up the middle and tweaked to find balance with them in the stereo field. Those are the first three sounds to work on fisrt.

Levulz2it wrote:alright..heres what I got for the new BB. I haven't done any EQ, just HPF and LPF so the samples don't clash and the kick and bass don't clash. is it too simple? I feel like it needs a little pa-ching lol I went with a different type of vibe this time.

Below is my chart l use the technique to get the kick to duck the bass. You don't need to buy extra plugons to do this. A little compression can help. EQing as a whole properly is the key.

By Menco Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:08 pm
Levulz2it wrote:
Plus I'm sure I can learn alot from just using the filters in os2xl instead of being bombarded with 12,000 buttons in reason. I was reading up on reasons mixer and it basically has a manual just in itself. Im still new to all that so its basically Chinese right now until I figure it out.

I think the MPC1000 might be a good point to start for now. Because it's very basic and straightforward there or no 120000 button distractions and with it's limited toolset you can hardly cover up anything. So this allows you and forces you to really focus on the basics. Filtering, Eqing, panning and setting levels can all be done and maybe for now all you need.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:58 pm
Menco wrote: Filtering, Eqing, panning and setting levels can all be done and maybe for now all you need.

100+. Use appropriate sounds, good performance and do the 4 the basics: Level, Pan, EQ, and Effects. Do we really need anymore more than that to mix. Well, Automation is a great benefit. I've never understood, why people needed so many features to do the basic 4. :nod:
By Menco Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:16 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Menco wrote: Filtering, Eqing, panning and setting levels can all be done and maybe for now all you need.

100+. Use appropriate sounds, good performance and do the 4 the basics: Level, Pan, EQ, and Effects. Do we really need anymore more than that to mix. Well, Automation is a great benefit. I've never understood, why people needed so many features to do the basic 4. :nod:

Oh yes. And when only focusing on 4 aspects one becomes very good at those, making a lot other techniques obselete.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."