Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Levulz2it Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:02 pm
Do you use a midi for them? That was the first thing I noticed going from reason to the 1k then back to reason is the laaaggggg..i know its only like 1/16th or something but it throws me off now after using the 1k. Lol

What is S1v4?

Danoc wrote:Lmao :lol: no problem. l do my drums in Reason and in S1v4. I do my music loops in S1v4 and Reason. Everything is inside the box. Do my mixing in Reason and master in S1v4.

I don't know what you did though.

Levulz2it wrote:You saw and heard what it was, there were no effects or cable re-routes. I had the mixdown snare from my mpc panned slightly right, and the kong "woodblocky" type snare panned left. There was no funny business in any way, i didn't out any effect in the mpc either. I record raw tracks ( raw meaning no filters or effects) then mixdown each individual sound to its own track and import to reason for mixing/processing. It couldn't of been something I did before I imported into reason so I have no idea why it sounded like that lol
By Danoc Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:22 am
In Reason l use the Redrum. I bring in wav files, when l tap out the drums onto the Sequencer they come up as midi. Then l bounce to wav inside Reason.

Why are you going from Reason to the 1000 MPC then back to Reason?

S1v4 means Studio One v. 4

Levulz2it wrote:You saw and heard what it was, there were no effects or cable re-routes. I had the mixdown snare from my mpc panned slightly right, and the kong "woodblocky" type snare panned left. There was no funny business in any way, i didn't out any effect in the mpc either. I record raw tracks ( raw meaning no filters or effects) then mixdown each individual sound to its own track and import to reason for mixing/processing. It couldn't of been something I did before I imported into reason so I have no idea why it sounded like that lol
[/quote]
By Levulz2it Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 pm
ahh..redrum is nice, I like the kong personally.
I don't go from reason to 1k to reason, I just meant I was using reason with midi controller (mpd) then i got the 1k and didnt use reason for awhile. now im going from 1k to reason and when i use the mpd in reason i notice the lag after using the 1k for a min.

Danoc wrote:In Reason l use the Redrum. I bring in wav files, when l tap out the drums onto the Sequencer they come up as midi. Then l bounce to wav inside Reason.

Why are you going from Reason to the 1000 MPC then back to Reason?

S1v4 means Studio One v. 4
By Danoc Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:17 am
Oh ok gotcha.

Ehhh, l really don't like the kong, it seems there's more features with the redrum. Step sequencer is the bomb.
By Eyalc Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:05 pm
Man, I had long forgotten about this thread. Cool that it's still going.

And I'll be the one in the room that focuses on something entirely different in Lev's music.

Lev, forget all the dynamics, EQ'ing, etc... you won't get something that sounds right, unless you get the instruments on key first. The bass is off from the lead, which is off from the sample, etc etc. Even if you sonically have something that sounds "clean", it's still going to clash because the various parts are out of tune.

If you want to learn how to create a great mix, you gotta start there. No amount of dynamics is going to make it sound amazing. Just remember, that 10 times out of 10, mixes aren't good if the instruments clash, NOT because of the dynamics. You first have to get EVERY piece of the music to share the same harmonic "pocket". That way, rolling off some of the highs (for example), will allow one instrument that shares the same frequencies to sit with another. But they both still harmonically fit.

And about that word "pocket". Someone asked about it in this thread - can't remember who. BUT, there are TWO types of "pockets" when it comes to music. Harmonic pocket, and rhythmic pocket. BOTH have to be tight, else creating a good mix is impossible.

So Lev, what I'm saying is that you're trying to focus on the wrong part first. You're trying to create a good sounding mix, but your track doesn't have things in the same harmonic nor rhythmic pocket. That's something that most won't ever explain to you, because as the producer, we are expected to have a natural feel for things being "in the pocket". It's why a producer chooses a guitar with certain strings... or a drum kit with certain heads - because they have harmonic qualities that allow them to sit in the same harmonic pocket with other instruments in the song. The pattern the musician plays however, determines where they sit in the rhythmic pocket. The drummer for the Beatles, can't remember his name. He was known for NOT having a feel for playing the pocket. He could play the drums, but ask him to play "in the rhythmic pocket"? LOL. Read up on Quincy Jones - he explained it well from a session he had with him. Side note... Paul McCartney was the first Beatles drummer. And rumor is that he played drums on quite a few of the songs - but wasn't noted.

Going back to something Charles said - he said if the music is right, the mix is easy. He's 100% right. I'd adjust that a bit and say it's somewhere between "easy" and "easier". What he's saying, is that everything in the music has to be in the right harmonic and rhythmic pocket. If not, impossible to create a great sounding mix, no matter how much dynamics you use. Charles also said that all these tricks aren't needed for mixing. And he's 100% right too. People over-complicate mixing - WAY too much. Start with the basics. Learn how to compose a song, pick the right instruments that don't clash - everything else is MUCH easier after that.

In music, the instruments are played throughout rhythmic pockets. And in mixing, dynamics are used to shape everything into their harmonic pockets. And as far as mastering... NEVER master individual stems. Mastering is done on a stereo wav render of the music, alongside the other songs that will be on the project. No such thing as mastering in a mixing environment. In a mixing environment, you're mixing. In a mastering environment, you're mastering.

So, hope this is helpful. Start with the music part. You have to get that right first. Your choice of sample and instruments isn't good for that music. The lead synth is going to clash with that sample IMO. And it's much too bright with the snare being that dark. You'd either have to roll off highs on the lead, or brighten the snare. In this case, I'd brighten the snare AND roll off some high on the synth lead. But I don't know that either would work.

Listen to Kanye's early music - first album. Harmonic clashes all over those songs - which is common when sampling records. Read about the mixing engineers. Gave them FITS trying to mix those songs. And in some cases had to complete replace kicks or subs because they'd never work for a song.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Focus on the music first!!! Get the drums in order. And then shape everything else around that (because this is hip-hop / urban). If this was rock I'd say start with the guitars.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:54 pm
Read this, Study this, class dismissed. :popcorn:

Eyalc wrote:Man, I had long forgotten about this thread. Cool that it's still going.

And I'll be the one in the room that focuses on something entirely different in Lev's music.

Lev, forget all the dynamics, EQ'ing, etc... you won't get something that sounds right, unless you get the instruments on key first. The bass is off from the lead, which is off from the sample, etc etc. Even if you sonically have something that sounds "clean", it's still going to clash because the various parts are out of tune.

If you want to learn how to create a great mix, you gotta start there. No amount of dynamics is going to make it sound amazing. Just remember, that 10 times out of 10, mixes aren't good if the instruments clash, NOT because of the dynamics. You first have to get EVERY piece of the music to share the same harmonic "pocket". That way, rolling off some of the highs (for example), will allow one instrument that shares the same frequencies to sit with another. But they both still harmonically fit.

And about that word "pocket". Someone asked about it in this thread - can't remember who. BUT, there are TWO types of "pockets" when it comes to music. Harmonic pocket, and rhythmic pocket. BOTH have to be tight, else creating a good mix is impossible.

So Lev, what I'm saying is that you're trying to focus on the wrong part first. You're trying to create a good sounding mix, but your track doesn't have things in the same harmonic nor rhythmic pocket. That's something that most won't ever explain to you, because as the producer, we are expected to have a natural feel for things being "in the pocket". It's why a producer chooses a guitar with certain strings... or a drum kit with certain heads - because they have harmonic qualities that allow them to sit in the same harmonic pocket with other instruments in the song. The pattern the musician plays however, determines where they sit in the rhythmic pocket. The drummer for the Beatles, can't remember his name. He was known for NOT having a feel for playing the pocket. He could play the drums, but ask him to play "in the rhythmic pocket"? LOL. Read up on Quincy Jones - he explained it well from a session he had with him. Side note... Paul McCartney was the first Beatles drummer. And rumor is that he played drums on quite a few of the songs - but wasn't noted.

Going back to something Charles said - he said if the music is right, the mix is easy. He's 100% right. I'd adjust that a bit and say it's somewhere between "easy" and "easier". What he's saying, is that everything in the music has to be in the right harmonic and rhythmic pocket. If not, impossible to create a great sounding mix, no matter how much dynamics you use. Charles also said that all these tricks aren't needed for mixing. And he's 100% right too. People over-complicate mixing - WAY too much. Start with the basics. Learn how to compose a song, pick the right instruments that don't clash - everything else is MUCH easier after that.

In music, the instruments are played throughout rhythmic pockets. And in mixing, dynamics are used to shape everything into their harmonic pockets. And as far as mastering... NEVER master individual stems. Mastering is done on a stereo wav render of the music, alongside the other songs that will be on the project. No such thing as mastering in a mixing environment. In a mixing environment, you're mixing. In a mastering environment, you're mastering.

So, hope this is helpful. Start with the music part. You have to get that right first. Your choice of sample and instruments isn't good for that music. The lead synth is going to clash with that sample IMO. And it's much too bright with the snare being that dark. You'd either have to roll off highs on the lead, or brighten the snare. In this case, I'd brighten the snare AND roll off some high on the synth lead. But I don't know that either would work.

Listen to Kanye's early music - first album. Harmonic clashes all over those songs - which is common when sampling records. Read about the mixing engineers. Gave them FITS trying to mix those songs. And in some cases had to complete replace kicks or subs because they'd never work for a song.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Focus on the music first!!! Get the drums in order. And then shape everything else around that (because this is hip-hop / urban). If this was rock I'd say start with the guitars.
By NearTao Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:06 pm
+1 This is all great...

I'll also note a few points...

This is a major reason why sampling from a song can be so beneficial. Assuming you pitch everything up or down the same amount, it will remain in tune. Due to this, sampling existing tracks, and keeping your chops and pitching simple will tend to keep the whole thing sounding coherent. Understanding music theory will absolutely help additionally here, but it is definitely worth experimenting and practicing in this space just to listen and hear what kinds of differences sound good to you and which ones sound bad.

I'm also going to say that a lot of the initial post is also a big argument for why it is so critical to keep it simple, especially when you are starting. The more elements that you add, the more elements that can clash with each other, be out of tune, need mixing adjustments, etc... There is a reason why some of the old hip hop classics made on limited hardware sound so damn good, because the less you have to work with the more you need it to sound amazing. For me, the classic machines like the MPC 60, S950, etc... they have just as much character due to the sampling limitations that produced that sound as the old systems had themself. Consider limiting yourself to 26 or 40 seconds of sampling time, considering what it means to you to only have a maximum of sixteen samples, think about how you're going to get work done with only eight sub mixes, only an LP filter, limited automation, etc. These limits will absolutely make you consider how to approach your music differently, and they can be self imposed as much as they might be for real hardware.
By Danoc Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:59 am
:nod:
Chords, chord progressions , scales. Melody and counter melodies.

Drums, picking the right drum sounds, percussion sounds and effect sounds. In today's time we get to experiment. :mrgreen: :smoker:

Leave room for the vocalist because the voice is an instrument. E.G. Patty Labelle, Celine Dion, Areatha Franklin , Mariah Carey etc.
By Danoc Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:59 pm
All right people, I will make a video of how to duck the kick and bass from one another and making them live in the same space and sounding balanced. This will come soon, stay tuned.