Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Xandre Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:46 pm
How do you keep your hi-hats from sounding brittle and fake? Anybody have this problem? I notice hi-hats on major releases sound crisp and clean. I'm looking for that clean 808 sound when using 808s from a VST. I used to have a MOTIF ES6 and the hi-hats were beautiful, but after I recorded them into my beat, they sounded really thin and brittle, almost like they were double-triggering and aliasing. I don't think they were. You can hear it on the hi-hats (and snare) on my beat below.

I still have this issue with hi-hats from VSTs. If anybody has any signal routing, recording, sound design, EQ or mixing tips let me know. Thanks in advance.
By peterpiper Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:34 am
Yeah theres phasing on the hihat. Would be good to know what setup you use (DAW, VST PlugIn etc). It might be another track in the DAW or routing the out of the PlugIn to another audio track (although usually doubling a track should be sample accurate) or some internal setting on the VST.
peace
By richie Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:37 am
The best way to make your hihats sound thicker is to layer them with an 808 kick.