Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By d2ba Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:50 am
just a thought -most ofl the great records were made pre DAW days --ADATs, Reel to Reel, we seem to have lost something with DAW's. In fact I cant think of many great records in the past 20 years, and my theory is DAWs are destroying music!
Who here thinks its possible to make an entire record in the box using one of these new MPC's? (because it uses flash memory its very fast ---compared to say a DAW which is disk based )
Only 8 stereo audio tracks so you are forced to consider what you were going to record before laying it down. That’s not always the case when hard-drive space is virtually unlimited.
By Tabletop Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:23 pm
You could def make a complete album in an MPC... Might take a while & is it going to be "great?" Thats subjective.

DAWs arent destroying music, they just make it easy to produce repetitive, quantized, over-produced music that people can throw on the internet instantly. DAWs are a tool/instrument just like a guitar is. Creativity is the missing ingrediant with any of the arts, and lets just face it, 99.9% of what producers put out is garbage.

...so give it time & you'll discover great music that was being made right this second, 20 years from now.
By Lampdog Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:38 pm
d2ba wrote:Who here thinks its possible to make an entire record in the box using one of these new MPC's?

It’s possible.
By Lumi Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:47 pm
I almost finished a record using Mpc and mixing on the box.
I wanted to just use Mpc but then I bought an mc101 as companion because of the better synth quality.
But yes, it's definitely possible to do a record with just an Mpc.
Air fx are studio quality effects and you are covered with almost anything you need.
By elstebbano Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:28 am
I dont really get what burial - untrue (completely made in soundforge (yes, soundforge)) and tame impala (guitar music, all played by hand) have to do with making entire tracks on the mpc. both albums are supergood, untrue is maybe one of the best albums ever made imo, but yeah no mpc there...
By d2ba Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:02 am
1:dj-shadow-entroducing-MPC-60 + ADAT
2:Avalanches -"Since I left You" (Opcode Studio Vision + Apple G3)
3:Pauls Boutique -Emax HD + primitive software called Texture by a guy called Roger Powell. This was when computers still had no user interface, it basically was just a bunch of letters and numbers across a green screen. After that we used this very primitive sync box, the JL Cooper PPS1, that allowed us to sync the computer to tape
Last edited by d2ba on Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
By bees80 Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:07 am
d2ba wrote:just a thought -most ofl the great records were made pre DAW days --ADATs, Reel to Reel, we seem to have lost something with DAW's. In fact I cant think of many great records in the past 20 years, and my theory is DAWs are destroying music!

The fact that you don't know any great records made in the past years is maybe because you just don't know them, or perhaps you are not open for the music. It's subjective.

To me, this comes down to the endless boring quote that ''it doesn't matter what you use''. It's just technology that changed the way of working overtime.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:35 pm
d2ba wrote:just a thought -most ofl the great records were made pre DAW days --ADATs, Reel to Reel, we seem to have lost something with DAW's. In fact I cant think of many great records in the past 20 years, and my theory is DAWs are destroying music!
Who here thinks its possible to make an entire record in the box using one of these new MPC's? (because it uses flash memory its very fast ---compared to say a DAW which is disk based )
Only 8 stereo audio tracks so you are forced to consider what you were going to record before laying it down. That’s not always the case when hard-drive space is virtually unlimited.

Software DAWS in the hands of people, who don't know what their doing hurts the over sonic quality of their music. Also the ability to compress everything, just to get it louder than the next person, has hurt the dynamics of their music. :nod: Many are choosing Loudness over clarity.
By 64hz Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:27 am
elstebbano wrote:I dont really get what burial - untrue (completely made in soundforge (yes, soundforge)) and tame impala (guitar music, all played by hand) have to do with making entire tracks on the mpc. both albums are supergood, untrue is maybe one of the best albums ever made imo, but yeah no mpc there...

Dude literally says in the opening posts there hasn't been any classic albums produced in the past twenty years, sorry for trying to give some one some tips man. :?