Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:26 am
6/8 Stanley wrote:Usually on MPC I tap in the shakers first for kind of a metronome for everything else, but this tune makes me think I should try adding them last for some syncopated madness. First time I heard Minzata was maybe 15 years ago, mostly listened to horns and guitars. Last year I bought a FLAC album that had the song, was like I really heard the shakers first time. Didn't know what type shakers but found this youtube today, the comments say it's maracas. About 07:35 in they really come on. Shows what you can do with shakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ2gtK_0QxY

That Congolese rumba.
By DokBrown Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:07 pm
I agree with Charles.

Certain sounds I highly suggest you record them live to audio track or clip. A solid mic/mic stand/mixer are a key investment. I lost my studio back in 2015, but I still have the stands/mics for when I get my next studio.

I do NOT do this for kicks/snares. All those sounds come from my drum machines or off another record. I really dig the roland v-drums
By terry towelling Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:20 am
DokBrown wrote:I agree with Charles.

Certain sounds I highly suggest you record them live to audio track or clip. A solid mic/mic stand/mixer are a key investment. I lost my studio back in 2015, but I still have the stands/mics for when I get my next studio.

I do NOT do this for kicks/snares. All those sounds come from my drum machines or off another record. I really dig the roland v-drums

Really? And that gets you that moodymann style shaker sound?
By bees80 Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:32 am
terry towelling wrote:
DokBrown wrote:I agree with Charles.

Really? And that gets you that moodymann style shaker sound?

If you got the skills: yes.