Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By QuentinB Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:41 pm
Y'all have a name for every song you make or do you have some sort of number/date convention you're using? lol It's getting hard to name songs uniquely.
By NearTao Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:56 pm
PoS mk1, PoS mk2, PoS mk3 is what I go for :D

I'll usually make a dated folder "2020-11-11 <name>" and then just have the project be <name>. I know it takes up more space, but I've got a 2tb drive installed, so I'd rather use more space but have plenty of separation for projects and not accidentally overwrite samples/project data so I don't loose work.
By Scrawny Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:06 pm
I name the beats I really like and have put hours into. On the label I write the title and date.

I don't bother naming the practice beats that are just the drums and then one or two patterns with the sample. If I like it or don't wanna delete it I just save it on a blank floppy and it gets lost in the pile.

The ones that I do name, I just go off of what it reminds me of. If it reminds me of another song I heard, I name it sort of like a reference to that song. Maybe I think an accapella from one of the singles I have is fitting for the beat so I try that out and if it sounds good, I'll name the beat as a reference to the accapella. Usually the title relates to the main sample though. Artist name, song name, label, random text on the label, or whatever it might remind me of.

Works well enuff, or for now at least.. :nod:
By saltmcgault Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:24 pm
i save and name my projects in a folder and name it by the date. If I end up finishing it then i will sit there until i find a name for it. I think its easier to go back to a date on a folder rather than some stupid name i came up with. there's enough of those already. lol
By QuentinB Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:50 pm
I used to try doing the date - my name - song idea 01, and if I had more than one song that day there'd be a new folder and I'd just increase the number for each song. lol Funny I know.
By Menco Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:10 am
I name the beat after song and artist I sampled. That way I remember best. ‘What was I working on yesterday? Oh yeah, that Oscar Peterson joint’

Non sampled projects get’s tagged by date and put in a certain folder.
By peterpiper Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:16 am
Yes. Date or I use the name of the main sample to remember the song (with only the date I would never remember what songidea it was). If I work on the idea later and decide to make a song out of it (which is not very often :)) I give it a name depending on the vibe or some other things that comes to my mind :)
peace
By bees80 Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:16 am
since i don't release that much, i never really bother unless it will be released, so usually the projects have stupid names or references like

- another shitty bass loop which i don't intend to finish
- boot boot booty in your footy
- chicago house tryout #342

etc
By selecta jo Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:06 pm
For years i named my tracks only with a date and a number, but that was a mistake in hindsight because now i sometimes need to listen to a whole bunch of tracks to find the one i was looking for.

As i mostly produce just instrumentals there is no lyrics or a story to derive a name from.

At some point i was not satisfied anymore producing one unfinished idea after another and decided to finish all my new tracks on the same day. As i needed a title for each finished track i used two strategies: Either the track inspired me on how it would be like to be named based on the musical feeling and a word or a phrase appeared in my head, or i just blindly opened my dictionary and put my finger anywhere without looking - whatever word i tapped on was the name i choose.

peace, jo
By dsy73 Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:09 am
Too much time to find nice song name, waste of time.
Now I just put random word. My latest songs are: Ferom, Jifer, Juji, Lopam, Pasar
And I add a date for the backup files in ISO format: 2020-11-12
By QuentinB Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:03 pm
If we still had phone books around I’d start randomly picking a name from the phone book with the date next to it lol..... happy we don’t have phone books anymore.
By justineastwick Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 am
So, I usually save all my projects in a PJ-XXXXXX-XX format.
PJ is my abbreviation term for project.
The first Xs after the first dash are my project dates. For example, PJ-112120 was a project that was started on November 21, 2020.
The last two Xs after the second dash are the number of projects started that day. For example, PJ-112120-05 was the fifth project I started on November 21, 2020.
By QuentinB Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:16 pm
That's how I used to do it as well, may return to that so I can feel less like I need to name everything I'm doing. Sometimes you just churning out ideas you don't intend to share lol
By J.O.BEATS Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:39 pm
I always give my beats a name and I usually do it when I first create the project. Sometimes its inspired by the sample or drums or however I start the project but I do it pretty quickly. Also a lot of them are just random words/ phrases or how I'm feeling that specific day. I did this project once where I made a beat every day for 30 days and used google for "word of the day" to name them

I like naming them instead of giving dates but the downside is if you are sending beats out to artists they tend to relate the beat to the name and lot of times write a song based on what you named it. Which I don't really like because I want the artists to write how they objectively felt about the beat/vibe and not to the random name I put on it
By Ill-Green Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:10 am
Whatever image comes to my mind is how I name beats.

After crafting a beat, I don't know, I get a vibe and the images roll in. One time I thought of women in high heels that really hurt their feet and thought "The Hurting Shoes". Stuff in that order.

I always write what I see in my head. I also have tons of MC names for when I go ghosting. :nod: