Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:44 pm
When creating we all tend to get blinded by our own vision. Be sure to get a second and third trusted ear to references your mixes and masters and give their unbiased opinion. Also our music tend to sound great when compared to itself. However when played before, after, or mixed/blended (DJing) with other music is where can hear the difference.

Don't let our ego's get in the way of our music sounding its best. :smoker:
By Lampdog Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:44 pm
Nu-uh, nope. Don’t care what people think.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:12 am
Lampdog wrote:Nu-uh, nope. Don’t care what people think.

:lol: I was just looking a project someone brought me and this project is all over the place. Different producers, mixers, mastering, recording locations, musicians, gear. Everything! They asked me what I thought and I told them, who ever did track 1, 3, 5 go back to them and have them track, record, mix, master all their other songs.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:15 pm
dryad-66 wrote:Def play on different speakers ect.Ipad,phone,monitors,car,sound system.......

For sure that does helps, but this is really about having an unbiased separate pair of trusted ears.
By Elpimpo Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:24 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:When creating we all tend to get blinded by our own vision.

This resonated big time with me. Sometimes have this "vision" of what my music sounds like and then I save it, go to sleep, wake up, play it, and I'm like "WTF?".

This post was needed badly

Its almost like our minds trick our ears..sometimes....
By Ill-Green Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:37 am
Yeah, thats why I don't record rappers anymore. I remember an emcee would give you a mono verse and a 2 track chorus. Now, its 24 tracks for a single verse and 75 more for choruses.
By 6/8 Stanley Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:50 am
Someone I respect told me to send them my stuff. To listen and comment. Scared to. Been practicing my instrument and my beats like a session player, and had a breakthrough couple nights ago. Finally had fun with the riffs I was struggling on six months. Still not good enough to send. Yeah I'm sure.

Beer and smoke time. Then it will sound better at least to me.
By NearTao Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:53 am
6/8 Stanley wrote:Someone I respect told me to send them my stuff. To listen and comment. Scared to. Been practicing my instrument and my beats like a session player, and had a breakthrough couple nights ago. Finally had fun with the riffs I was struggling on six months. Still not good enough to send. Yeah I'm sure.

Beer and smoke time. Then it will sound better at least to me.

Why not send it? Might be the best decision you made. This somebody might see something you don’t and the feedback could change how you think about things.
By 6/8 Stanley Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:08 pm
Dig it.

Practicing is easy. If it's done right there's some improvement every day and that's encouraging.
No worry at all. Recording something and sending it out takes some confidence.

Back in the 90's I saw a flyer at GC. They wanted submissions for local compilation CD. Mine was accepted but they needed a DAT. So I booked a half hour and got a DAT, one take. There was probably some local radio air time because the other bands were better known but I never got a cent. Doubt if the others got anything either. Good learning experience I guess but also kind of a turn-off. Still want to get my stuff out there DIY.
By Lampdog Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:13 pm
My experience has been companies do that to steal your ideas.
By FromthePantoL.A. Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:30 pm
"Beer and smoke time. Then it will sound better at least to me."

Word.
By FromthePantoL.A. Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:31 pm
along with
"Don’t care what people think."