Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Lampdog Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:03 am
So the problem is presets wont load?

YA template as while doesn’t load “on top of” your projects. What I see is you “start” with nothing, load YA template (It was designed as a whole to work this way), and place your pieces on top of it. Programs, seq’s, samples, etc, NOT the .prj file as that will clear out the YA template and load your og project.

or

You can load your project and afterwards load YA fx files individually into their proper slots they are supposed to go in. How will you know where they go, load YA separately prior to and figure out what goes where so you can recreate it in your own project. I took lots of pictures via ipad, loaded my own project, pre-loaded the correct fx into the slots, then loaded YA fx files into those proper fx slots.

Loading the fx files has never been a problem, for me, and a few others I know.

YA correct me if I’m wrong but this was my experience and it worked out either way I tried it, same results when I turned down my channels/tracks or individual instruments/samples to give the template the headroom it needed.
By Ajax Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:31 am
That’s correct. I did the latter with respect to my existing projects (but just followed the instruction manual to the letter, instead of taking pictures, etc)... and tried loading the YA mastering project by itself to see what the settings were.. in both cases, the Para EQ presets in the 3 Returns (the multi band) did nothing. Settings remained the same. I don’t know. We’ll see what YA says.
By DokBrown Fri May 28, 2021 7:07 pm
MARLOW / MPC HEAD - HOW I MIX 2000 XL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO4XF3TmuX4

This video took me way back to way before the MV/ABleton when all I had was my MPC1K & a FOSTEX 4trak. I luv all the options we have with these new MPCs but there is something about limitations.

MPC HEAD RECIPE for 2000 XL
Secret ingredient: ELEKTRON ANALOG HEAT
https://www.elektron.se/products/analog-heat-mkii/

---Levels
---Panning
---filters [this is where the ELEKTRON helps]
LAMP detailed specifically how he uses filters in another post

you can spend all day working on 1 beat & get practically nowhere.
I think the hard part is figuring out which 2-3 solutions are gonna have the most positive impact on that track. i’m gonna try to keep this in mind as I take advantage of all these new AIR tools.
By DokBrown Fri May 28, 2021 7:31 pm
SEE OFF TOPIC: car / truck audio sound systems - “POP THE TRUNK” MUSIC
BTW – my secret ingredient has always been a good pair of headphones and either my PEAVEY AMP or RAV4 sound system.

While I will make music with whatever is around [most of my headphones cost me $60-100], I mix with only with my best 2 headphones. I then bump that mix thru my PEAVEY keyboard amp or my RAV4 truck sound system. In my truck, I like to roll somewhere relatively quiet and turn the VOLUME UP with the windows down & the trunk open. I walk about 5-15 feet away & see if the drums,samples,bass are all coming thru clear. THE MPC LIVE makes this easy with the portable battery & headphone out. [ THIS is the only time I use the battery ;-)]

If the track bumps in my truck with the trunk open, then I know to leave well enough alone.
I am NOT an audio engineer ;-)

https://www.audiophileon.com/news/close ... headphones
By DokBrown Fri May 28, 2021 10:26 pm
Lampdog wrote:
DokBrown wrote:you can spend all day working on 1 beat & get practically nowhere.

I like his approach b/c if it can’t be fixed with basic mixing [levels/pan, eq/compression] then the beat is prolly trash & should be thrown away or totally re-worked.

LAMP where did you explain how u use filters ?
Can u post a link ?

I’m now looking at EQ vs filters in a whole different light . . . . . . .
BTW is there a mixer with filters in it ???
Does anyone have a rec for a DJ mixer with good built-in filters
I’m not familiar with DJ mixers but this looks sweet

Allen & Heath Xone:23 2+2 DJ Mixer
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... 2-dj-mixer
By DokBrown Sun May 30, 2021 3:51 pm
Lampdog wrote:https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=195840&p=1798286&hilit=filter#p1798286

I only use filters in my hardware, don’t have mixer recommendations.

that wasn’t the post.
U did a reply this year where you explained how u go back & apply filters to each pad to cut out unwanted “noise”

u have so many posts, It was hard to track .. . . .
By Lampdog Sun May 30, 2021 5:40 pm
Filt/ENV page is where I apply filters to each and every sound/pad individually and sometimes groups of pads. I try to get the MOST out of that page before using any plugins that may do the same things so I don’ end up using efx slots if I don’ really need to. Besides, that page is easy to record automation on also. You can do it from plug-in efx but it’s not as user friendly to setup.

Most people will maybe stop at simple LP filters, my advice is make a basic beat, use that page and explore ALL the filter options and all knobs on that FILT/ENV screen.

That screen can work magic if you take time to understand every knob, every twist and every filter option.
By NearTao Mon May 31, 2021 11:20 pm
Yeah, the important part is that the filters in the program, that can be applied per sample, don't use up additional CPU like adding per pad or program FX can.

Sure the LP/BP/HP filters in Program don't cover everything, but as Lamp's saying... it'll get you more than halfway where you are usually trying to go.
By DokBrown Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:03 pm
Lampdog wrote:Filt/ENV page is where I apply filters to each and every sound/pad individually and sometimes groups of pads. I try to get the MOST out of that page before using any plugins that may do the same things so I don’ end up using efx slots if I don’ really need to. Besides, that page is easy to record automation on also. You can do it from plug-in efx but it’s not as user friendly to setup.

Most people will maybe stop at simple LP filters, my advice is make a basic beat, use that page and explore ALL the filter options and all knobs on that FILT/ENV screen.

That screen can work magic if you take time to understand every knob, every twist and every filter option.

I also prefer to use filter envelope PAGE instead of inserting a filterFX.
There are lot of filters options/shaping capabilities when u really learn it. I save FX slots for delays/reverbs , flangers/phasers.

The only insert filters I regularly use are the AIR filter [the only thing better is a real analog synth filter] and XYFX on my master out.
BTW – pull your pants up & beware the FLEECE JOHNSON ;-)