Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Acidizer Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:34 pm
I have loops from splice, specifically labelled as "loops" but when I put them on the sequencer at their stated BPM it can feel abrupt when they come round again.

I am a sample noob, but some "release" could solve this but that is not available it seems (like you can add release to samples on Nord keyboards)

Any ideas?
By Acidizer Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:33 pm
NearTao wrote:Do you know if the loop is completing, or is it starting over again before it completes?

Some of them complete, some don't. i.e. maybe I will cut a 8 bar loop down to 4. I have done this and it actually looped not bad, where as other loops I have completed their whole cycle and just sound abrupt when they retrigger.

Probably the loops weren't made ideal for looping in the first place?

Is there any tricks to mask this?
By NearTao Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:44 pm
So... I wonder... are you dropping the loops into drum kits, key groups, using the looper, or clip mode?

It sounds like you probably need to work with warping, or adjusting your BPM... or both... but hard to tell how you're setting things up.
By Scrawny Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:20 pm
Too much attack or release will make it loop even worse in my experience.
Experiment more with BPM. Even if you have an accurate tempo readout the song wasn't made to loop there so you will need to adjust it for it to loop better.
I actually just heard a really nice sound maybe 30 min before seeing this but it wasn't going to sound good looped so I didn't bother messing with it. Sometimes that's the case.
Which MPC do you have?
Just experiment. Some loops will work better on mono and cancel itself out or they might sound better if you let it overlap a little bit and just add some decay on it.
Also make sure you're not chopping too tight or too loose.
By Ajax Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:20 pm
This has always been standard for me. I can’t remember the last time I got a bpm reading that was exact from any machine or program. So loops almost always end up starting out a little rough.

I pretty much ALWAYS end up having to tweak the sample to get it to loop cleanly. I’ve always been able to get there by playing with the sequence/track BPM.. so, that’s pretty much all I do. I’m sure there other ways to do it, but I’ve never really had to (unless I wanted to intentionally change the pitch or time stretch, which is different IMO).
By Lampdog Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:57 am
Nothing is exact. It’s a balancing act of the option(s) I mentioned above.
By DokBrown Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:00 am
i’m old school so I feel buying loops is “cheating”

regardless, getting a loop to sit right in the mix like alchemist is an ART unto itself . . . . . . . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcWXY6LsUbo

I had to update my MPC LIVE os & fiddle with the BPM settings to make my own drum looops loop properly
By Ajax Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:20 pm
Yeah. I don’t really care what other folks do, but I can’t see myself every buying a loop chosen by someone else. There are SO many loops out there already, especially now with editing software that will pretty seamlessly extract drums and vocals from songs... It’s gotten to a point where almost every song I hear has some useable loop in it somewhere.

The real challenge is when the bpm of the song you sampled from changes within the loop itself... so, you end up having to really play with it to make it sound good, especially in combination with other loops. But, that’s the fun of it.
By Sense-A Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:31 pm
I'll sell you a loop that works for $5 each :nod:

I'll even make it easy for you. Loop and Hold. Push a pad and it'll keep looping.

Let me know if you want drum loops or sample loops and how many you are ordering.

Why don't you just chop the loop up into individual drum hits and make your own loop? That's the purpose of your MPC 1000. Be creative, not lazy.