Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By BeersSMB Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:26 pm
Anybody ever try to re-create beats for practice? I’m trying to get better at chopping/sampling... not really doing anything much with vsts but I’m looking to re-create in the likes of good producers, like alchemist, 9th wonder, Dilla, etc... does anybody else do this? Are there any YouTube channels dedicated to de-constructing chops or recreating beats from the original samples? I only started using samples/chopping regularly a few months ago so I’m definitely a rookie when it comes to this... any advice or answers let me know. Appreciate it!
By DokBrown Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:43 am
1] get 1-2 good books.
https://www.mpc-tutor.com/mpc-bible-2-5 ... mpc-touch/

https://store.attackmagazine.com/produc ... production

2] get a mentor / instructor that you can actually meet with 4-8xs a year.

3] if sampling is gonna be the backbone of your sound come up with a system to keep track of your samples/records. I rec a TB HDD with a spreadsheet that you back up every month or 2. If you sample vinyl, get some storage /cases NOW.

4] tell you wife / kids / girlfriend that you are trying to save the world & need to disappear for next 1-2 years . . . . .

my 2 cents
By saltmcgault Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:57 am
i listen to hiphop shit everyday. i’m always listening trying to figure out what they did there and how they did that. i definitely need to improve on arranging sequences building up to the hook etc. recreating shit that my favs alchemist muggs apathy and dilla have done just seems wack to me because although i love the same genre i don’t want to be a pete rock 2.0. i wanna create what i come up with.
By Lampdog Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:16 pm
I think that how many people got started, recreating other beats/songs they admired back in the day. Once we got used to our gear the training wheels came off, following and re-creating no one ever again.
Peeps who caught on the fastest imo, DJ's.

:-D