Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By sinik Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:16 am
hello

im currently working on a rap album – me doing the instrumentals and a friend of mine the vocals. it's gonna be rather independent with a digital release and tapes. were almost finished and have now to decide, how we are gonna mix it; 1. do it ourselfs (mostly me) 2. give it somebody (engineer) to mix

i really want to try it myself, but have zero expertise in mixing/mastering.
it sure can sound a little lo-fi and selfmade, but i really want it to sound good in the end.

how do i get started with a project like this? ... read a book, visit a masterclass, watching some youtube tutorials. ...all of the above ?!! ;)

im happy for any advice in how i should approach this.

bytheway: we recorded the vocals in our living room with a shure sm58 / focusrite scarlett 6i8 into ableton, and all the beats coming from my mpc x/live

peace
By DokBrown Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:36 pm
Mixing/mastering is an art unto itself. I suggest you find some1 local for cheap to mix/master this 1st project. Peep game & ask questions so you can do it yourself next time ?

There are a lot of ableton books
If you mix/master in the MPC, I highly rec ya templete

https://www.yorgosarabatzis.space/store

Whatever you do – be prepared for a lot of trial/error
By J.O.BEATS Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:20 am
This might be an unpopular opinion but do it yourself. I'm assuming you aren't going to be getting radio play etc so its more about getting your music out there than having a "great mix"

Worry more about the musical elements and content of the album and not the technical part. That will come later. If somebody likes your music they will like it regardless of how its mixed

Finish the album and put it out into the world and then start working on the next album. Dont overthink things
By DokBrown Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:08 pm
J.O.BEATS wrote:This might be an unpopular opinion but do it yourself. I'm assuming you aren't going to be getting radio play etc so its more about getting your music out there than having a "great mix"

Worry more about the musical elements and content of the album and not the technical part. That will come later. If somebody likes your music they will like it regardless of how its mixed

Finish the album and put it out into the world and then start working on the next album. Dont overthink things

good advice